Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Maxyzmodules 225mW RED module

Cool RE: color balance

Quote Originally Posted by movinghead View Post
    The color balance is for Pangolin just have to tune the line and he will do the rest,
    This is true; Pangolin will allow you to balance the colors out no matter what power you have. It does this by turning down the power of the other lasers to match your weakest color. But remember that if you only have 500 mw of red, you won't be running your green at over a watt. (More like 200 mw)

My point was that you're better off starting with a *reasonable* color balance when you first select your lasers. Not perfect, but somewhere close. Pangolin can then be used to fine tune the balance once you assemble everything.

But if you are 6 to 8 times too low on red to begin with, you're going to loose a *lot* of green trying to get the color balance back. (The same thing applies when you're way low on blue.)

In other words, why set up a system such that most of the time one of the lasers (the green one) will be running at 1/4 it's rated power? (Unless you never plan on running it in color-balanced mode.?.)
    The main use is beamshows, so power is important.
    OK - If you're happy with all that power being green, then no problem.

But if you want to do beamshows with more than just green being visible, then you're going to need a lot of red *and* a lot of blue to mix with it. Otherwise the green will overpower everything else.

As an example, I've worked with a friend's 1.7 watt solid state RGB projector for a few beam shows. It's got 1 watt of green (532 nm), 500 mw of 635 nm red, and 200 mw of 473 nm blue. The green beams are *awesome*. The yellow that it produces is also quite bright, but it's a very green-looking yellow. (Not at all golden.)

However, the red is quite dim by comparison, and the blue is even harder to see. The teal looks OK, but again it's mostly green. The magenta is very pretty, but even so it's not anywhere near bright enough to compete with the green beam.

In order to get good color balance with this projector the green would need to be turned down to around 250 mw. What a waste! And it would take away a lot of the visual punch of the green beams. But it would give a much nicer-looking yellow, not to mention a better teal, and a white that didn't have shades of green in it.

As it is right now, it makes great green beams, but the other colors are pretty washed out by all the extra green. And it sounds like your projector is headed for the same result...

Adam

would be possible to mix dual maxyz module 450mW 660nm + 700mW 635nm?

Pangolin FB3 QS/LivePro/SMS2Laser
    Riya MultiBus
    Pangolin LD2000 Pro

I think somewhere on this forum is mention of a specialized narrow-band dichro that will do that. Probably take some searching to find the thread.

That'll be alot of RED!!----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know, but I dont know if it works with dualmaxyz?

Riya MultiBus
    Pangolin LD2000 Pro

A Maxy^2 is just a single beam (when aligned correctly) with both horizontal and vertical polarization, I believe. I would think that you can get dichros that are non-polarized and selective narrow-band. I dunno where though. Maybe somebody here does or do a dogpile (google) search, or talk to a tech at EO or Melles-G maybe..

Quote Originally Posted by cruch View Post
    I know, but I dont know if it works with dualmaxyz?
    A narrow band dichro should work, a polarized beam cube definitely won't work, um... unless you mix the maxyz using mirrors to run the beams parallel and the combine them using a PBS. You would get 4 maxyz into the fatter 635nm profile beam that way for a 1.5watt monster

Probably suffer less power losses than using a narrow band dichro too
    A little bit werrrr, a little bit weyyyyyy, a little bit arrrrgggghhh

Yes it will be working, a dichro filter don't care of polarization. Just find a dichro which reflect 660nm and pass 635, or the inverse
    But you may have different beam diameter and divergeance...

Edit : someone gets faster than me to answer

Here are some notch filters, I dont know if they reflect or absorb.

http://shop.mellesgriot.com/products...ssid=&Page=All

Edit : someone gets faster than me to answer
    Yeah, you gotta watch that around here

oOps n/m- I didnt see the PRICES

Getting a FAT beam from a 635nm. This I dont like.
    I may go for a powerfull lasever 660nm instad of maxyz 660nm + 635nm
    A lot of thinking here.
    Thoose notch filters is waaay to expensive

Riya MultiBus
    Pangolin LD2000 Pro