Thread: "Trust us we're here to help you"

Default "Trust us we're here to help you"

There have been discussions in other threads that touch on some of the issues brought up by this article. Often the "authorities" are expected to prevent excesses such as dangerous laser shows or access to equipment like laser pointers. But, underlying this expectation is the assumption that the the authorities are "authorized" in the sense that Immanuel Kant postulates. I'm sorry, but I haven't authorized them. I don't even trust them to tell me the truth. You see how lavishly, completely unethical politicians live and how the rules don't apply to them and their expectation that they are unanswerable for their excesses. You distrust their explanations for sketchy behavior like the IRS scandals, heavily arming the EPA or "domestic military training".

The cost is that intelligent and ethical individuals spend much of their time avoiding the scrutiny and threatening activity of an expanding and very corrupt government. This isn't just in the US. It is present in Europe and certainly in Russia. In years past there would have been outrage and push back. "Where have all the good men gone to...PC schools and vegan bars everyone"

http://www.newswest9.com/story/28826...aining-in-city

I have some good debates with a cop that is in a world of warcraft guild, he seems to think that we as citizens have to justify every thing we do or buy to people like him and not wanting to be bothered or harassed by people with his mind set always means we must have something to hide. What is wrong with not wanting to be left alone, more so when i am not doing anything wrong?

I know every one brings up 911 and when i saw that on tv i made a remark to my coworkers that the world as we know it just ended, and sadly i still agree with that statement and the erosion of civil liberties is speeding up. I am at a loss to why people are allowing it to happen, The FBI had it's power taken back when they went nuts over the communist scare, they abused the power that was given to them and now we just give it back and add a bit more.

when i say i weep for the future i literally mean it, the freedoms i had as a child growing up are now gone for the next generation

I don't hide the fact that i don't care for the far left, one thing i have learned about liberals is they want to be liberal with other peoples stuff and they them self are excluded from there very own ideas. But before i get attacked by that view i must say that i dislike the far right as well, i am an independent when it comes to my political views as both sides are corrupt
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

You should revel in the attack because you're right. You ever read about the battle of Thermopylae? If you haven't its worth reading. That cop is a moron, but he may still be amenable to good arguments and so I wouldn't right him off completely. The reason I don't hold much hope is that with that mind set you have to wonder why he became a cop. Huh?

The problem with the categories of liberal, conservative or independent is that you weren't asked when the properties were established. Why are you supposed to bend your philosophies to fit some neat label? Measure every position you take against a philosophy that you accept, defend it vigorously when attacked even when outnumbered or slandered and establish a character that others will be drawn to. Those are the only friends you want anyway.

Yeah i do remember some of the the battle of Thermopylae. This is defelenty something that i view is worth the fight, just instead of a sword and shied, it's a pen and a ballot box
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu