Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: SELEM 9 - August 12-16th 2015 - Sign up now!

Smile

OK, I figured it out. David Kumpula isn't staying at the Trotthouse until Friday night, and he's only spending Friday and Saturday night.

So Dave (Countfunkula) is coming in on Wednesday for setup, and will be spending Wednesday and Thursday at the Trotthouse. Then that room will go to David Kumpula.

So come Friday night, presumably Dave (CountFunkula) will need to head up to the Holiday Inn Express to get a room. (Though if he needs a place to stay on Sunday night, he could come back to the Trotthouse... It might suck having to swap rooms twice like that though.)

Either way though, breakfast at the Trotthouse is going to be crazy!

Adam

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    OK, I figured it out. David Kumpula isn't staying at the Trotthouse until Friday night, and he's only spending Friday and Saturday night.

So Dave (Countfunkula) is coming in on Wednesday for setup, and will be spending Wednesday and Thursday at the Trotthouse. Come Friday night, presumably he will need to head up to the Holiday Inn Express to get a room. (Though if he needs a place to stay on Sunday night, he could come back to the Trotthouse... It might suck having to swap rooms twice like that though.)

Either way though, breakfast at the Trotthouse is going to be crazy!

Adam
    did david promise to not break any lightbulbs this year?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

HAHA! I didn't think to ask. Maybe we should buy a pack of bulbs and present them to Ann at breakfast on Thursday morning.!.

Adam

Sorry missed this conversation earlier, but yes, that's right. Home is less than an hour away, so I try to make it home for dinner on Wednesday and Thurday night. I considered extending my Trott House stay starting from Thursday night, but I guess that option is out, now.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    did david promise to not break any lightbulbs this year?
    I make no promises . . . but at least no innocent bulbs were destroyed last year.

HAHA! I didn't think to ask. Maybe we should buy a pack of bulbs and present them to Ann at breakfast on Thursday morning.!.
    I brought a pack of 4 cool running LED bulbs to Ann last year, so the next poor sod that stays in that room and can't find the hidden light switch (its behind a mirror albeit not that hard to find unless you've consumed too much alcohol) can unscrew the lightbulbs in the fan as I did WITHOUT burning the crap outta their fingers.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

I've been teasing Ann that she needs to "add on to the house" to have more room for SELEM attendees!

Adam

I've been teasing Ann that she needs to "add on to the house" to have more room for SELEM attendees!

Adam
    Yup, or we could convince Ann to buy another B&B altogether (in addition to the Trott)! There are certainly several nice homes nearby. I'm sure our one week a year would justify the purchase!

Default Presentation Requests

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Reading this thread: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...124#post313124 got me to thinking... (dangerous, I know) but:

As a SELEM "demonstration/lecture/talk/seminar" topic, who would be interested in sourcing the right person and ask/hire them to show up, set up a projector on the stage in the auditorium and actually go through and demonstrate the process of displaying what gear and how, one would properly set up and measure any one of our given shows with US legal audience scanning output.

Say for example, buffo's Rising show. In seminar fashion, have them walk around the seating area of the auditorium and explain where they would actually place a meter at what parts of the show to take the samples. Is it clamped to like a camera tripod sitting in a seat? Would they decide to check the show from row C seat 13 and then again in row L seat 7? Why and where? Show HOW to take the samples, then take the samples, calculate the data, pick the safety scan lens based on that, re-test and finally... play the damn show with us in the audience to see what it looks like.

Anyone??
    Consider me as a +1 for interest as a participant, Brad.

I volunteered to set up the talk schedule again this year and this reminds me that it is time to ask for the presentation/demo requests.

We had several well attended presentations at SELEM last year covering a wide range of topics from ol' favorites like What's New at Pangolin; tutorials on topics like LSX, colorboard adjustments, scanners settings; Setting Up and Running Live Shows; ILDA; a variety of new product introductions and my personal favorite from last year; Jon's last minute demonstration at "What's New in Lumia". We generally kept on schedule and all of the talks were well planned and presented.

So what would people like to hear about this year?

Who has something to share that they think other folks could benefit from?

Don't be shy, folks! There's lots of new and interesting things to discuss and lots of SELEM attendees that are very knowledgeable in one or more areas who we could learn something from.

Please post here for now or contact me directly on PM with your suggestions and then I'll create a separate schedule thread after we get some initial feedback.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and requests!

-David

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    I volunteered to set up the talk schedule again this year and this reminds me that it is time to ask for the presentation/demo requests.

Who has something to share that they think other folks could benefit from?[/B][/I]

Don't be shy, folks! There's lots of new and interesting things to discuss and lots of SELEM attendees that are very knowledgeable in one or more areas who we could learn something from.

Please post here for now or contact me directly on PM with your suggestions and then I'll create a separate schedule thread after we get some initial feedback.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and requests!

-David
    I know it's been done before, but I missed it and would like a repeat. Beyond 101 Please.

There has also been a request for me to do a presentation/flight demo on RC. Specifically multirotors & FPV.

With that being said...I was recently laid off. The company I worked for cut 40% of its employees last Wednesday.
    I still plan to attend SELEM, but that could change depending on if I have a job by then and if they will give me the time off.

So put my input down as potential.
    Chris

[I][B]So what would people like to hear about this year?

-David
    I could benefit from learning more about beam correction on the higher power diodes using cylindrical pairs, prism pairs and other methods. It would be cool to see a demo of how to correct the beam and what to expect once its done (power losses, beam shape, etc). Not sure if this is a 5 minute discussion back stage or if it warrants a full hour of demo/discussion.
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

Smile

Yup, or we could convince Ann to buy another B&B altogether (in addition to the Trott)! There are certainly several nice homes nearby. I'm sure our one week a year would justify the purchase!
    Well, if SELEM gets big enough, maybe... Maybe!

Re: Brad's Audience-scanning setup presentation idea...
    Consider me as a +1 for interest as a participant, Brad.
    I have a feeling this could be a really cool topic. For sure I'd be interested to watch it, and I'm sure plenty of others would like to see it as well.

As luck would have it, just as I was about to give up on the possibility of pulling this off, someone from the UK contacted me with the news that they just *might* be able to attend SELEM this year, and if so they'd be willing to do a presentation for us on exactly this.

Details to follow soon!

Good call, David!

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerjock View Post
    I know it's been done before, but I missed it and would like a repeat. Beyond 101 Please.
    This one is a slam-dunk. We just need to make sure that Anthony Garcia makes it to SELEM again! Then we just set him in front of a Beyond console and video-tape him for the entire 4 days!

Seriously though, if he does attend, he absolutely *MUST* put on a Beyond tutorial. The guy is seriously amazing...

There has also been a request for me to do a presentation/flight demo on RC. Specifically multirotors & FPV.
    Assuming you can still make it to SELEM, your presentation is already booked! Also, we've got plans for the FPV quad... (Already picked up a new inverter to power that 40" TV I was talking about!)

So put my input down as potential.
    Bullshit! Think positive, dude! You *WILL* be there, you *WILL* do your presentation, and you *WILL* have a good time, or else I *WILL* drive down to Orlando to kick your ass personally!

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyRobot View Post
    I could benefit from learning more about beam correction on the higher power diodes using cylindrical pairs, prism pairs and other methods. It would be cool to see a demo of how to correct the beam and what to expect once its done (power losses, beam shape, etc). Not sure if this is a 5 minute discussion back stage or if it warrants a full hour of demo/discussion.
    Great topic, and I know just the guy to do it: Paging John Murphy (aka PolishedBall)...

John did a mini-demo of this sort of thing several years ago, but then he dropped off the face of the earth! He's back in the land of the living now, and he's been in touch with me on Facebook to say that he's interested in attending SELEM this year. We just need to work on him to make sure he comes!

One other thing: I'd love to see some designs for the SELEM shirt logo for this year. Anyone got any ideas?

Adam