Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: SELEM 9 - August 12-16th 2015 - Sign up now!

I was looking for a place to stay this year (nothing at all against the awesome staff at Holiday Inn) and I came upon this private two bedroom listing on Air Bnb https://airbnb.com/rooms/3774120?s=8

Their weekly price is $550 and I would love to split this with someone (it's a two bedroom) for either the full week or certain days anyone interested?

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

+ 1 for spending some time in Asheville. I've tried for a few years to do a dinner trip to Zambra's but, with it being about an hours drive, people didn't want to miss that much of SELEM. It would be ideal on the first night as opposed to Texas Roadhouse but, most people will have already driven some distance that day and, the Roadhouse has sort of become a standard tradition. Sort of like the Artists Café used to be. Sunday night would be good too for those staying over and leaving on Monday but, it's a bit anti-climactic at that point and we're usually too wiped out to even think straight let along enjoy one of the most amazing meals of your life. Ever. Period. Did I say amazing?

Brad,
    Lets try to make it happen. You've been bragging about it for so long I want to see what all the hub bub is about.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerjock View Post
    Brad,
    Lets try to make it happen. You've been bragging about it for so long I want to see what all the hub bub is about.

Chris
    I'm most definitely all for it! http://www.zambratapas.com/menu.html Their online menu doesn't do it justice.

Smile My take on Zambra...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    I'm most definitely all for it! http://www.zambratapas.com/menu.html Their online menu doesn't do it justice.
    This is less for Brad and more for everyone else who may not know much about Zambra.

I ate there a few years ago with a couple friends. It was very good food, but it was also very pricey. Then too, it's a tapas restaurant. If you've never been to one, then let me spell it out for you: There are no entrees. Everything on the menu is basically an appetizer, and by appetizer I mean the original definition of the word (that is, extremely tiny portions) and not some gonzo order of nachos that would feed 4 people. A typical plate will have 4 bites of food on it. Seriously - 4 bites.

Now, I will admit that the food QUALITY is very good. Everything tasted great, and the presentation was very special. Then too, they have some very unique food combinations on the menu. I can see why some people really like the idea - you get to try lots of different dishes, and they are all prepared and served differently. If the presentation is as important to you as the food itself, then Zambra will be an enjoyable experience. (After all, they must be doing something right to be on the short list of "must visit" restaurants that foodies talk about.)

Also, it is a very social meal. You tend to share things with everyone at the table. So everyone orders 2 or 3 things that sound interesting to them, and then you take turns trying what everyone ordered. Then you discuss what you just tried. Then you order more food, which takes time to cook, so you drink and chat while you wait. Repeat this a couple times and you can see how the evening can stretch out. You will spend a lot of time at the table.

The down side is that of the 4 bites on your plate, you've really only had one or two. True, you've also had a bite or two from other people's orders, but maybe you really had your heart set on eating what you ordered. (Or maybe it turned out to be so good you want more of it.) After the first round of food, I started ordering doubles so I could have more of what I wanted. That works, but it also gets expensive fast.

When we went there we stayed about 90 minutes or so, and could have easily stayed much longer. (A few of us were in a hurry, so we left early.) We spent a *lot* of money. On average, each dish runs you about 8 bucks (although a few are as cheap as $3-$4, and the really good stuff can top $20), and if you are hungry you will want to eat at least 5 or 6 of them. Someone my size will want more than that. Then there's the drinks. Remember, you will be at the table for a long time, so you will be drinking more.

In the end, I spent close to $150 (including tip) for Marie and I (bearing in mind that my wife eats like a bird) and in the end I left feeling slightly hungry. I enjoyed the meal and the company, but I felt that it was too expensive for what we got. I'm glad I tried it, but what I learned from the experience is that I don't care for tapas restaurants.

Now, Mo (Daedal) and Jeff (RGB-gas) were also at the restaurant with us, and I know that Mo enjoyed it a lot. (He had been to Zambra before, and it was his idea to go this time.) On the other hand, Jeff was as hungry as I was when we left.

In the end, if you guys want to do this as part of SELEM, then I agree that Wednesday evening would be the best time to do it. (Sunday evening might also work, if you could leave Newton early enough.) If you can get a group of 3 or more people (5-6 would be ideal, and more than that could be broken up into multiple tables), you could all carpool together and head up to Asheville after the load-in and set-up is complete. It's about a 90 minute drive to get to the restaurant from the Auditorium. Maybe a little less if you drive fast.

It's a straight shot west on Interstate 40 - it takes you right into town. But you will definitely want to have a reservation ahead of time! This place fills up fast, and since it's such a long, social meal they don't have a lot of turnover. If you have to wait for a table you will be waiting a long time!

However, I'm sorry to say that I probably won't be going. I'm really not that jazzed up for the place, and I hate to lose the 3 hours to driving. So I will probably just plan on eating in town like normal. But don't let that stop you guys! Zambra is an experience, and if you are a foodie then it's probably worth the trip to try it out. Also, the conversation in the car on the way there (and back) would probably be pretty amazing as well.

Adam

I had no idea it was so expensive. Unless I have a job by SELEM, I may not be able to go.

Thanks for writing all of that. It does describe it fairly well, although I personally have never left hungry. I also didn't necessarily think about drinks adding to peoples bills since I don't drink anymore but, yes it can get a bit pricey. It's not a restaurant you frequent every week. It's more of a special occasion restaurant and I don't mind spending more for good unique food on a special occasion. (Being with ya'll at SELEM qualifies!) You can rack up a sizable bill pretty quickly at a quality sushi place too and I liken the experience to that. But, yeah.... I think $50-$75 is probably not unreasonable with a couple drinks and tip. But... I'm a foodie so, when it comes to places like Zambra's, Spago in LA, or a ticket to Ramsay's "Hell's Kitchen" taping.... I'm in.

Is there a show for the town this year? How about Sunday night after load out?

The best part of going to a tappas place is trying the things you *didn't* order, because usually they are even better!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post
    Is there a show for the town this year? How about Sunday night after load out?
    Sadly, no, there will not be a public show this year. The town just didn't have the budget. Perhaps next year.

So yeah, Sunday evening is another possibility. (I mentioned as much in my post above.)

The best part of going to a tappas place is trying the things you *didn't* order, because usually they are even better!
    This is true to an extent. I just wish the portion sizes were larger. Some of the things we tried were *really* out of this world, but if you can only have a bite or two, that's not really worth it in my book.

Like I said, I'm glad I went once, but I really don't think I'll do it again. But I can see how it could be a lot of fun if you're into that sort of thing. The food is unquestionably superb.

Adam

meh, I have the palate of an 8 year old. My foodie friends hate eating with me. I think I'll probably just stay in town for foodstuffs. As far as TX roadhouse goes... I'm equally meh. I mean I didn't leave Texas and drive 17 hours to eat at a place I don't eat at when I'm IN Texas

What I AM looking forward to is seeing everybody's smiling faces, and for that I'll drive to... TX Roadhouse Or that delicious Mexican place we descended upon toward the end of last year. YUM!