Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: SELEM 9 - August 12-16th 2015 - Sign up now!

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    To extend that further, I'd like to see that projector actually on the stage, right back against the cyclorama and be rear projected through scrim hanging out near the first row of seats. It was almost a possibility last year but, I started setting it up first, before all the other wiring was done and it would have been difficult fixing it after the fact. Although, having displayed a 3 watt directly on the cyclorama from the back of the auditorium in previous years, I agree that solid state has some advantages over the gas in terms of brightness and white balance and looks great front projected. I may suggest the scrim idea for ClubSELEM instead.
    if you're projecting on a scrim you're likely to get beams exiting the other side. this is great for beam shows, but it makes graphic shows a little hard to watch.

anyway, we'll figure it out.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    i would *very* much like to see a medium/high power solid state projector mounted in the balcony to compliment the mixed gas system.
    I'm sure we can make that happen. Although for some of the older graphics shows, the gas laser will probably be better. (The color palettes for the shows will be optimized for ion lines, plus many shows will be able to take advantage of the effect wheels that DZ has built-in to his dual-head projector.) We can certainly switch back and fourth though.

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    if FLEM was any indication this will be the South East Pluto Enthusiasts Meet lol
    Indeed! I think we will have between 15 and 20 RGB Plutos this time around. (Just between Brad, me, Jrm916, and DKumpula, we have 14 already!) But there will be plenty of other projectors present as well.

I'd like to see that projector actually on the stage, right back against the cyclorama and be rear projected through scrim hanging out near the first row of seats.
    We've talked about setting up a scrim for rear-projection before. We should definitely try it this year. You already have the optimal rig for hanging the scrim in the auditorium - we just need to be sure to run an extra ILDA cable to the center of the stage for that rear-projection projector. Normally we can leave the scrim down, but when you want to rear-project, we just hoist the scrim, fire up that center projector, and go for it.

I agree that solid state has some advantages over the gas in terms of brightness and white balance and looks great front projected. I may suggest the scrim idea for ClubSELEM instead.
    We can also do it in Club-SELEM if you'd prefer. It will work well in either location.

Speaking purely for myself, I actually prefer the solid-state color palette vs the ion laser palette. But I recognize that many old-school laserists prefer the original ion laser lines, which is why we always have the 6 watt coherent up in the balcony. I don't have a problem putting a solid state unit up there for some shows, but we need to also keep the ion rig in place and available for shows, because there is literally no other location where we can set it up and still have a decent throw like that. (There is no 3 phase power available in the cafeteria.)

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    I'm sure we can make that happen. Although for some of the older graphics shows, the gas laser will probably be better. (The color palettes for the shows will be optimized for ion lines, plus many shows will be able to take advantage of the effect wheels that DZ has built-in to his dual-head projector.) We can certainly switch back and fourth though.

Speaking purely for myself, I actually prefer the solid-state color palette vs the ion laser palette. But I recognize that many old-school laserists prefer the original ion laser lines, which is why we always have the 6 watt coherent up in the balcony. I don't have a problem putting a solid state unit up there for some shows, but we need to also keep the ion rig in place and available for shows, because there is literally no other location where we can set it up and still have a decent throw like that. (There is no 3 phase power available in the cafeteria.)

Adam
    the ion rig with the avi scan through effects is absolutely required for dz's show library! there's plenty of room up there for a solid rig to accompany it, and maybe we should just a dedicated db25 to it so we don't have to worry about swapping unlabeled black cables in a dark room.

i love the blocks of old shows.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Oh hell..... why pick just one? We've got enough firepower to set up all three places.

Oh hell..... why pick just one? We've got enough firepower to set up all three places.
    true!

is it august yet?

Been waiting for this thread

Looking forward to it.

Payment sent
    I noted my shirt size in the comments.

Though something I forgot to mention, could I have my name tag also have my LPF name?
    Bloompyle

Thanks!

Already getting anxious

Oh, and a countdown? Yeah. My phone has an app for that.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	46903
    Only an electron wiggler like you would resonate at 30cm.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulFeast View Post
    Though something I forgot to mention, could I have my name tag also have my LPF name?
    Bloompyle
    I typically create the name tags for SELEM.
    I will try to remember and add your LPF screen name. Just remember this is a PL event not LPF. Can I ask why you want both?

Chris

BTW I will be there! Can't wait.

Just saw this thread and paid within seconds! I already booked the Trotthouse last week right after I heard that Swamidog did.

I can't wait! Fun fun fun!

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerjock View Post
    I typically create the name tags for SELEM.
    I will try to remember and add your LPF screen name. Just remember this is a PL event not LPF. Can I ask why you want both?

Chris

BTW I will be there! Can't wait.
    This is most definitely not specifically a "PL event" or "LPF event". This is both. The invitation is also posted on LPF (not sure if it is yet, there's a distinct delay). And several LPF members have been there for the last two I was.

Laser Enthusiasts Meet, not PL Members Meet

As for why, because LPF is where I reside mostly. 4000+ posts over there.
    Only an electron wiggler like you would resonate at 30cm.