Page 40 of 44 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041424344 LastLast

Thread: SELEM 9 - August 12-16th 2015 - Sign up now!

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

How in the hell is it Saturday already???? Oh yeah... we're at SELEM.

There is something wrong with magnetic pulls or some sort of swirling vortex around Newton, North Carolina that sucks time and clean electricity into the ether. Another busy day yesterday. With yet another slew of, "I can't figure out what's wrong." streaming from peoples mouths at times. The Club seems to be "working" now but we've even such weird things as an ST-132 crank stand's crank crap out and have to be fixed.

From memory, we had at talk from BlueFang on his new Maxwell Laser Synth program he's writing. Think analog console (like the z-5) but software based AND works on a mac. Then we had my lame ass, ill prepared babble about setting up shows. Next year if I do end up doing a presentation, it will be considerably more polished and I'll know what the subject is with more than 24 hours notice. We then moved to the demo of the Z-5 and the Advanced Laser Router. Newlin had a very well done presentation on Martin's Light Jockey early in the evening and Anthony Garcia worked some magic in Beyond for everyone that was sadly missed by me.

We've only managed to have three fire alarms and two actual visits by the guys in the big red trucks. The screw up was really by the alarm company but, it's also another time waster, having to stop and deal with Newton's finest in full bunker gear, air packs and thermal imaging cameras.

Thanks to X-Laser for supplying another great dinner.

We called it early last night, if you consider about 12:30 am early but, knowing today is going to be a long one, I think the seasoned vets know how grueling the next 48 hours are going to be and get some rest. We ain't getting younger!

Today is another full day of seminars and talks from noon to 6 including Bill's much anticipated discussion about all things Pangolin.

Damn... time to get moving....
    PM Sent...

Thanks for the update Brad... Wow, that sucks the FD had to come twice to the venue... Wonder if there's a fee for that..
    How's the Buy/Sell area? Anything of interest there??

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

There have been a number of things of interest.... want another Pluto? Hitekvoop has two for sale w/ 462, 520 and 637. He sold another Pluto to Adam and a Venus to someone else. I considered one of the Pluto's but... I did some damage I shouldn't have with Pangolin. You'll see it when I get home but, guess what? I have another projector. Imagine that.

Can't do a long recap as I have to get up early and take Laserjock to the airport but, one thing we learned today.... lasers come to a screeching halt when the entire town loses power. Yep. All of Newton. Right around dinner time. We had just come together collectively as a group to determine what people wanted to do when they came back on.

Things got off on a bit of a slow start this morning but, the day was filled with great talks by Chris Tate on projector building, Pangolin of course, Swami, Lulightec and dkumpula covered a lot with LSX and I believe AnthonyGarcia did a Beyond talk but, I didn't get to that. Ran a bunch of shows in the auditorium this evening including a lot of Swamishows. A teaser from Mike Dunn for an upcomoming Pink Floyd project that was provided by Bill and a great beam show by masterpj. I got to run what I've been working on and it was nice to get some feedback and demonstrate that a lot more can be done with Quickshow than some people realize. Anywhoo.... I can't believe it's time to start breaking it down. I'm assuming we'll do some stuff early in the day but, I know how many hours were spent packing the van to come down and it's going to be equally time consuming reloading for the trip home.
    PM Sent...

Back in Knoxville to spend a little time home before heading back to 'Bama.
    Good to see everyone again this year - even if most of you do stay up way past my bedtime!!

Shirt logo text suggestion for next years pivotal 10-year anniversary of SELEM (inspired by a text message yesterday from my better half) ~

SELEM X
    10 Years of LaserPalooza

See you in 2016!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Whoever saw my show at SELEM 2015 and you like what you see
    The show is just 35 bucks as SELEM promotion and DRM free.
    Making it the cheapest lasershow I have ever sold.
    Delivered in the following File formats:
    LD2000 (Native can be edited)
    Beyond (Native can be edited)
    QS (Frame based)
    ILDA (Frame based)

The 35 bucks price mark is a possible new set price for large scale show sales to make sure hobbyists can afford it too!

Show here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSvvWYlpl7o

If sales are good or decent I will keep selling at this price! I hope this will solve the lack of new shows for many as it will be a motivator for me to sell more often to sell at these low prices.
    Last edited by masterpj; 08-16-2015 at 21:34.

Hi everyone!

It was great to meet with all of you and spend some time with you again. In addition to seeing the people I saw great work being done both show-programming wise and software-programming wise, on and off the Pangolin platforms. The Club SELEM this year really kicked ass!

By the way, I'm not able to find my old gray Microsoft mouse or Pangolin mouse pad. If anyone runs across it send me a PM.

Best regards,

William Benner

PS: That's a real great deal for Pieterjan's show!

Then there's me. All my shows are free and will remain as such. Sorry I could not come. Would love to see some video or stills.

Had a great time, enjoyed spending time with old and new friends. Hoping next year to be able to stay the whole time.

Can't wait to play more with max synth bluefang great work, I need to order an etherdream you have done a amazing job.

It was great talking with j4cbo. Meeting swami and also Ed was awesome.

Need to find some cash stash for a Z-5.

DZ, Stuka, Brad, flecom, Adam, platinum, lulighttec, laserjock and I know I'm missing some more who have always make me feel welcome since my first selem, it was great seeing ya all again.

Last edited by polishedball; 08-16-2015 at 18:21.
    leading in trailing technology

OK, folks. The time has come. SELEM 9 has ended. Tears may fall, but the planning for SELEM 10 brings hope of another 4+ warm days of Carolina sunshine . . and the occasional electrical storm that knocks out power for 45 minutes on a Saturday evening.

Really! We watched three power failures followed each by brownouts occur before we could get the power off. Thankfully, I believe everything survived. As we sat in the lobby with a setting sun without power, we contemplated our options and as each of them included hanging out together with our fellow laser enthusiasts, they were all good. In the end, the power returned and we continued with a night of most awesome lasering in both ClubSELEM and the auditorium as well as lots of fun chatter in the halls.

My thanks begin with a degree of trepidation as I know I'll leave out many awesome moments with this motley crue of laserists.

First and foremost, my thanks to the critical key members who without SELEM could not occur at anywhere near the level it has for many years now. You already know their names: Adam (Buffo), Brad (Bradfo69), David (DZ), Jeff (RGB-GAS) who didn't even get to attend (!), but sent all his equipment anyway (and attended in spirit we hope), Johnathan (drm916), Rick (Hitekvoop) and the many others who provide the equipment, planned and labor necessary to make this event happen starting on load-in day and continue to assist with the myriad of problems needing to be solved throughout the event.

Many thanks to the long list of folks who shared their knowledge with whoever wanted to listen in both the formal events and in every backstage, hallway, parking lot, conference room, and every other space in the event. I mean, who would think that you could get a thorough overview of quad-copters at a laserist event from a qualified master instructor? (Thanks, Chris (Laserjock)!) Or tutorials and demos from a wide range of folks covering cool programs they made (Thanks Johnny / Bluefang!). How about cool stuff that they invented (Thanks David & Ed (DZ / EKeefe)! or cool techniques they know (Thanks Adam, John, Newlin, Chris, Anthony, Bill, Brad!). Many thanks to the the representatives of companies including X-Laser, Pangolin, and Laserworld who not only take their valuable time to get to know us, frequently feed us, and to listen to us both praise and complain about their products and service offerings. These companies don't have to be at SELEM, but their friendly company is both appreciated and enjoyed.

Thanks to those participants who are just an all-around pleasure to be around. Some of you I met or spent time with for the first time even though we only met briefly at prior events: folks like Johnathan (Platinum), Rick (Hitekvoop) & Tiffany, Rodney (Rodman) and others whose names escape me at the moment. Also thanks to the many delightful new attendees this year, some of which I spoke to virtually for many months/years like Jacob (J4cbo), Theo (Kang), Johnny (Bluefang), John (PolishedBall) and many more. Finally thanks to the many old friends that provide the show content that they pour their hearts and souls into for our enjoyment (Swamidog, Bluefang, SaltyRobot, Kang, Bradfo69, Buffo, Kang, Lulighttec and many others.)

OK, well its about the time I need to go, so I'll simply close by saying thanks to everyone who was involved with creating the best SELEM I've ever seen! I can't wait till next year!

-David
    Last edited by dkumpula; 08-17-2015 at 10:56.
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Sounds like I missed a great time! From reading this thread, I should prepare to come up next year with a Silverado full of MachMini+C506s... And maybe 3 or more of my 5 kW generators just in case lol