Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: SELEM 9 - August 12-16th 2015 - Sign up now!

Oh no. Unfortunately this year I think I have a conflict. Some friends from Magfest and I are heading to the Chaos Communications Camp in Germany. It's a computer security conference. Unfortunately this falls on the same weekend :-(

Bummed I won't make SELEM this year.

Judging by the 2011 CCC video... they do have lasers though:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuwzzWuOOHk

In retrospect I guess it's a good thing I went to FLEM :-)

Chaos Communications Camp, eh? Sounds like an off-shoot from the original Chaos Computer Club. If you've ever read "The Cuckoo's Egg", by Cliff Stoll, then you'll appreciate that.

So, any relation between the two?

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    What are you thinking is the main hurdle? Most problems can be often overcome. Indiana isn't really that far and there has always been help with rides, room sharing, meals.... where there is a will, there's been a way and, truthfully.... this is a life altering event you owe it to yourself to attempt. There is your wedding day, the birth of your first child and your first SELEM experience and..... not necessarily in that order in terms of significance.
    Time, money, means...I hope I can some day, but I don't see it being soon :/ thats alright though.
    Last edited by Crazy; 04-27-2015 at 14:26.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Time is the biggest hurdle since we can't necessarily help you get time off of work but, trust me when I say there are some very inventive and creative people when it comes to making it work on a shoestring. I'm sure some will pop in and comment. You really want to give it an attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Chaos Communications Camp, eh? Sounds like an off-shoot from the original Chaos Computer Club. If you've ever read "The Cuckoo's Egg", by Cliff Stoll, then you'll appreciate that.

So, any relation between the two?

Adam
    Yes! Well, I think the original CCC has given way to newer generation but it is the same lineage as far as I know :-) I remember reading the Cliff Stoll book when I was younger as well as some of the other books about... computer security.

Interesting that you know about it :-) There was a PBS show called "The KGB the computer and me" as well that was about it. Haven't seen that in years, it might be on youtube now.

Watching the video online the CCCamp seems to have a bit of burning man LED/laser feel to it which I didn't know about when saying I'd go. I might have to build a new compact laser projector ;-)

I have to see if it's cool about taking time off from work to go. I booked the flight a while ago with friends, so I hope so. If not then it's SELEM!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by telmnstr View Post
    There was a PBS show called "The KGB the computer and me" as well that was about it. Haven't seen that in years, it might be on youtube now.
    Yeah, it's on Youtube all right.

I read the book first, and then I found out that they were going to make a documentary about it. While the TV special was a bit overly-dramatic, it nevertheless made for good TV. I thoroughly enjoyed the book though.

Watching the video online the CCCamp seems to have a bit of burning man LED/laser feel to it which I didn't know about when saying I'd go. I might have to build a new compact laser projector ;-)
    Make it small enough that you can carry it on the plane with you!

I have to see if it's cool about taking time off from work to go. I booked the flight a while ago with friends, so I hope so. If not then it's SELEM!
    Wait - you booked the flight before you even knew if you could get off work? That's ballsy! Also, if you can't get off work, how will you make it to SELEM?

Adam

Payment sent. Shirt size large. Working on lodging.

I am hoping to bring a new projector that I am currently sourcing parts on. I should be constructing it in May and hope to have it done by the end of June. That is if I can get my arcade cabinet done in the next few days. It will be around 2W beam projector for my bonus room.
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Yeah, it's on Youtube all right.

I read the book first, and then I found out that they were going to make a documentary about it. While the TV special was a bit overly-dramatic, it nevertheless made for good TV. I thoroughly enjoyed the book though.
    Thanks for posting that... It's really strange that I had never seen/heard this story before.. what a crazy loon this guy is!

I found a couple other of his talks, here's his TED talk (and he's even more crazy!): http://www.ted.com/talks/clifford_st...ng?language=en

Compared to today, watching that video is like watching Henry Ford build the Model T. Except that I remember those kinds of computers and hacking the phone systems and war dialing and "friends" of mine breaking into computer systems. My "friends" got caught once and almost kicked out of college. Good times, good times.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyRobot View Post
    Payment sent. Shirt size large. Working on lodging.
    Got it, Jason! Cool! Looking forward to seeing you there. New beam projector sounds great! Be sure to bring it...

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post
    It's really strange that I had never seen/heard this story before.. what a crazy loon this guy is!
    You really should read the book (The Cuckoo's Egg). Cliff is a *great* storyteller, and the book really showcases his talent. The story is much more engrossing (and far more detailed) than the TV special implies. It's one of those books where you can't put it down because you really want to know what happens next. Very entertaining.

Sadly, it also details why his marriage failed. He gets overly engrossed in things (like many of us here on PL!) and neglects his girlfriend while he tries to catch this hacker. They get married anyway, but his personality doesn't change, and she basically gets tired of playing second fiddle. None of this is spelled out in so many words in the book, but if you read between the lines you realize that he now knows "he dun fucked up".

I remember those kinds of computers and hacking the phone systems and war dialing and "friends" of mine breaking into computer systems.
    Yup. Everyone in our generation who fooled around with computers back in the 1980's can relate to this book. That's one reason why it's such a good read.

Another book I think you will enjoy is "The Adolescence of P-1" by Thomas Ryan. It's set back in the early 1970's, so it deals more with mainframe hardware (big iron), but if you remember the IBM system 360, you'll immediately appreciate the book. Totally different premise, but still an enjoyable ride. (This one is pure fiction though.)

Adam

Smile

Back on topic...

I would like to thank those folks who have already been working on SELEM plans behind the scenes. (You know who you are!) Thanks to their efforts we have already figured out the sound systems, the power distribution scheme, and the basic projector and control station layouts for both the Auditorium and Club-SELEM. I will be posting details soon.

We are also working on a schedule for this year. If you've got shows you'd like to run in the Auditorium, please post in this thread with the general classification of the show (beams, graphics, abstracts), the type of music (if it's a group of similar shows, like an entire album or something), and the length of time you need to run them.

Also, just a reminder that you have exactly 2 months before the registration fee goes up to $100. So register now and save some cash!

Adam