Page 1 of 44 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: SELEM 9 - August 12-16th 2015 - Sign up now!

Lightbulb SELEM 9 - August 12-16th 2015 - Sign up now!

SELEM 2015
    9th annual South Eastern Laser Enthusiast's Meeting

WHEN: Load-in on Wednesday, August 12th from Noon until 5 PM. Event runs from Thursday, August 13th through Sunday, August 16th. Opens at 10 AM daily and runs until Midnight or later each night. (Sunday night is the exception - we need to be out by 7 PM.)

WHERE: The Newton-Conover Auditorium in Newton, North Carolina. (60 W 6th St. Newton, NC 28658)

HOW MUCH: $75 for advance registration (through June 30th). Regular registration on or after July 1st is $100. Payable via PayPal to selempayment@gmail.com. Be sure to include your shirt size when you register!

EDIT: It is now past July 1st. All registrations are $100.

Guests are free to attend. Generally, guests are family or friends of the people who attend, and generally share some interest in lasers, but are not normally laserists themselves. If someone is a member of a laser discussion forum (PhotonLexicon, LaserPointerForums, LaserFreak, etc) or they own a laser or laser projector, then they should be registering as an attendee and not showing up as someone else's guest.

Teenage children are allowed to attend if they are old enough to follow rules and be responsible. Young children (under 13) are discouraged from attending, and may only attend if they are continually supervised by a parent or guardian.

Liability waivers will be required for all persons (registered attendees and guests). Minors will need a parent or guardian to sign their waiver. When you arrive, go to the loading dock entrance first to sign your waiver.

Once your waiver is signed, you will be issued a lanyard with a name badge, and if you registered in time (before the shirt order went out) you will receive your official SELEM shirt. (Extra shirts for yourself or your guests are completely optional and may be purchased in advance for $20.)

Also, just a reminder that ABSOLUTELY NO WEAPONS OF ANY KIND, ESPECIALLY FIREARMS, WILL BE PERMITTED AT SELEM. THIS INCLUDES ALL INDOOR SPACES AS WELL AS THE OUTDOOR AREAS SURROUNDING THE AUDITORIUM AND THE SCHOOL. If you have a concealed-carry permit, leave your weapon in your car and don't park it on the auditorium block.

WHAT ARE WE DOING: This year we will have beam and graphics shows running nearly full-time in the auditorium. We plan to have at least five 3-watt solid-state RGB beam projectors in the auditorium plus a pair of 3 watt RGB graphics projectors fed from a 6-watt Krypton-Argon laser in the balcony. There will be at least one Z-5 analog console in the auditorium, and we will be setting aside specific time slots for different types of shows in the auditorium. (Abstracts, graphics, beams, mixed, and live play.) If you have shows you'd like to run, you will need to get them on the schedule in advance of the event. (More details on the schedule to follow soon; we have some cool ideas for this year! )

In the cafeteria (aka "Club-SELEM") we will have many, MANY, RGB beam projectors set up along with several non-coherent lights and other effects. (Probably at least 30 total watts of laser power, if not more.) We will have a few "live" control stations set up where people can take control of multiple projectors and just play. We also hope to have a DJ available to spin for us in Club-SELEM, but this has not been finalized yet. (If we don't have a DJ, we will use playlists, ipods, and so forth.)

In the upstairs classrooms we plan to have a few special presentations that will be free to attend. As of now we have "What's new at Pangolin" scheduled, with a few others in planning. Ideas for presentations are welcome, but we must schedule these in advance.

In the gallery (the lobby area) we will have technology demonstrations going on more or less around the clock. If you've got something cool to share, and you don't mind talking about it, you can set your stuff up here and either put on a scheduled demonstration at a specific time or simply hold impromptu demos as people filter through. If you plan to set something up in the gallery, it would be good to bring your own table, as most of them one's in the venue will be used for other areas.

In the dressing rooms, we will have a buy-sell-trade area set up in the women's room, while the men's room will be reserved for ion laser repair and trouble-shooting. 208 V, 3 phase power will be provided (bring your own pig-tail to tie into the disconnect in the room), but you will be working at your own risk. Extremely dangerous lasers (such as a laserscope) can only be fired after the room is cleared of non-essential personnel. Always obey the directions of the LSO in the room.

Behind the main curtain on-stage we will have another work area for general maintenance, impromptu demonstrations, and short tutorial presentations that are done on an ad-hoc basis. (Last year this is where we went over scanner-tuning, for example.) We may run shows on the cyclorama scrim back there as well, assuming the volume in the main auditorium isn't too loud.

Speaking of volume: it can get very loud, in both the auditorium and especially in the cafeteria when "Club-SELEM" is in full swing. Ear plugs are probably a smart item to pack if you are bothered by loud music!

Outside we will probably have several quad-rotor pilots goofing off. There is also a large field across the street from the parking lot that is ideal for flying. (Lazerjock flew his 450 T-rex there last year, and it was great!) If you want to take a break from lasers and play around with some RC gear, there will be several like-minded people there with you!

Suggested locations for lodging are The Trotthouse Inn Bed & Breakfast (less than 1 block from the venue) or the Holiday Inn Express in Conover (around 5 miles from the venue). Call the Trotthouse at (828) 465-0404, or call the Holiday Inn Express at (828)-465-7070. Be sure to mention you are with the "SELEM laser group" to get the discounted room rate at the Holiday Inn Express. ($89 for standard room, $109 for suite, $10 extra for a roll-away bed)

Also note that after the load-in is complete on Wednesday, we normally go out for a dinner party together. In past years, we've gone to the Texas Roadhouse in Hickory. I'd like to continue that tradition, if everyone else is still up for it.

Make your travel plans now! This year promises to be bigger and better than ever!

Adam

List of registered attendees:
    Buffo
    Bradfo69
    Ekeefe
    CountFunkula
    SoulFeast (aka Bloompyle)
    DKumpula
    J4cbo
    HankLloydRight
    SaltyRobot
    A.R.Gon
    LazerJock
    Kang
    Brian Panther
    Hitekvoop
    DiscothefunkyHippo
    Rodman1369
    StuckinParadox
    DZ
    Stuka
    Lulighttech
    Swamidog
    DanBarlow
    Xtaega
    Laserlotus
    Icecruncher
    Chexmex
    Whitcher88
    Michol
    Mattronium
    Imagelight
    X-Laser
    Francis Oliveria (Laserworld)
    Fog-Man
    Drm916
    Allthatwhichis
    Gottaluvlasers
    AnthonyGarcia
    William Pridgen
    PolishedBall
    BlueFang
    Araugh
    BradleyJay
    Laserman121
    Laser-Sam
    Justin Perry (Pangolin)
    Mariomaster
    Rgb-gas
    Last edited by buffo; 08-09-2015 at 09:17. Reason: Updated attendee list

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Payment sent. Shirt size small. Now, I'll go back and read the rest of the thread!

Hello,

Payment sent. Shirt size 2XL

I will be available for the entire event, including load-in.

ED

You gotta love the fact that the thread has been up for 10 minutes and already two other people have registered!

See you guys there! (Gonna be a BLAST this year!)

Adam

Best time yet... 5 minutes! (Although I had help.)

2014 was 1:24
    2013 was 1:08
    2012 was (can't find it)
    2011 was 1:45

A thought popped in my head while reading this. For the back stage area, what do you think about having a couple of work lights set up? I have (if I can find them) a couple of those dual halogen work lights on tripod stand things like you might find in an automotive garage. The stage lights really aren't that bright for when people want to work on things and some supplemental light sources might be worthwhile.

Payment Sent!

Large Shirt, plz.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i would *very* much like to see a medium/high power solid state projector mounted in the balcony to compliment the mixed gas system.

to get a good color balance on the mixed gas projector, you have to lower the power levels to the point that it can't compete if there are beams and fog in the room.
    we put dslijon's projector in the balcony for a couple nights last year and the difference was incredible.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I am sure there will be literally piles of pluto projectors everywhere, so just grab one and go for it

if FLEM was any indication this will be the South East Pluto Enthusiasts Meet lol

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    I am sure there will be literally piles of pluto projectors everywhere, so just grab one and go for it

if FLEM was any indication this will be the South East Pluto Enthusiasts Meet lol
    yeah.. i don't think there will be a shortage of projectors. i just don't want to step on anyone's toes.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    i would *very* much like to see a medium/high power solid state projector mounted in the balcony to compliment the mixed gas system.

to get a good color balance on the mixed gas projector, you have to lower the power levels to the point that it can't compete if there are beams and fog in the room.
    we put dslijon's projector in the balcony for a couple nights last year and the difference was incredible.
    To extend that further, I'd like to see that projector actually on the stage, right back against the cyclorama and be rear projected through scrim hanging out near the first row of seats. It was almost a possibility last year but, I started setting it up first, before all the other wiring was done and it would have been difficult fixing it after the fact. Although, having displayed a 3 watt directly on the cyclorama from the back of the auditorium in previous years, I agree that solid state has some advantages over the gas in terms of brightness and white balance and looks great front projected. I may suggest the scrim idea for ClubSELEM instead.