Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Brad's next purchase... (Just kidding!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Like this perhaps:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...d_5_8G_TX.html

although, I'm not certain what I'm missing by not having "head tracking".
    Brad,
    Head tracking is nice to have, but unless you plan to have someone else fly the quadcopter while you wear the goggles it's almost useless.

It is very difficult to fly a quadcopter or any rotor aircraft while using head tracking. Think of it this way. You want to fly forward, the quadcopter tilts forward and starts to move, naturally you tilt your head up in order to see the horizon straight ahead. Now, how do you know how much the quad is tilted forward? You have lost your visual reference of the horizon as related to the quad. Your head is compensating for any extra tilt the quad my have. This allows the quad to get into unusual attitudes very easily.
    The same is true for flying FPV with the camera on a gimbal. The camera is always perfectly level, you have no idea what angle the quadcopter is flying.

One way around this, at least to use when flying using head tracking, is an on screen display with artificial horizon. This would give you back the visual reference you need to keep the quad level.

That being said I have head tracking on my drone airplane. This is different since the airplane is moving forward at all times, also the head tracking servos work using pitch and yaw. In order to turn an airplane you roll it. This gives you a good horizon view while turning no matter how you tilt your head. I also can see the nose of the plane and have a black line down the middle as an additional reference.

So lets summarize. Solo flight while wearing goggles and using head tracking on a rotor aircraft. Not impossible, but not a good idea.

FYI: Here is a nice side by side comparison of all the Fat Shark goggles.
    http://www.fatshark.com/App_Theme/de...Comparison.png

Last
    I'm not sure if you noticed or not, but the video transmitter that comes with the set you linked to only puts out 250mw. That isn't very much. My video transmitter is 600mw. 600mw seems to be the standard that everyone is using today.

Chris

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

How about the business with 2.4Ghz and 5.8 Ghz? I thought it sounded like if you fly with 2.4 then you want the 5.8 for video but, if you fly with 5.8, then you want 2.4 Ghz for your video.
    PM Sent...

How about the business with 2.4Ghz and 5.8 Ghz? I thought it sounded like if you fly with 2.4 then you want the 5.8 for video but, if you fly with 5.8, then you want 2.4 Ghz for your video.
    Exactly!
    You don't want your video transmitter interfering with your flight receiver.
    Here is a nice article explaining the basics of FPV flying.
    http://www.dronethusiast.com/the-ult...-system-guide/

Yup, they're scarey!

Oh...it just needs a firmware update.

Lol
    That was awesome.

I'm thinkin'.... the heck with these cheesy Banggood 'copters. We need one of these at SELEM instead.

PM Sent...

Geeze, if you're going to go that far, just buy/build a real helicopter and actually FLY!!?!?!

I'm thinkin'.... the heck with these cheesy Banggood 'copters. We need one of these at SELEM instead.
    That with lasers installed, an auditorium filled with fog and PF's The Wall playing in the background. . .

I thought it was funny that there was a horse and buggy in the background. Poor Amish can't get any peace and quiet anywhere!

David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post
    Geeze, if you're going to go that far, just buy/build a real helicopter and actually FLY!!?!?!
    I'm almost small enough I could use it to get back and forth from the venue and the hotel!

(I was going to suggest in small print that I was talking about the horse and buggy but... I'd already made reference to the 'copter.)
    PM Sent...

The turbine engine alone in that one is easily $5k or better ...
    But it sure would be cool!!

(Come on winning lottery ticket!!!)
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....