Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Brad's next purchase... (Just kidding!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Did they stop making planes in the 80's and 90's and 2000's???
    No. They are just really expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerjock View Post
    If you want a little time in a Cessna 150 I know where one will be in August. Not that it's that impressive compared to a military bird but it's all I can afford. Lol!

Chris
    Thanks - I'll keep that in mind!
    I'd be willing to bet your plane smells better than most of the military aircraft I flew, LOL!!!

Just one problem -
    It's been several years, but if I recall correctly, Cessna 150's don't hover very well...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Yeah, that's one of the things that always gets me. Kinda scary. It seems like all the planes I've been in and all the ones you see are circa 1960's or maybe early 70's. Commercial airliners, helicopters, and small planes like Chris's. Hell....I'M circa 1960's and I know how IM starting to break down! LOL Did they stop making planes in the 80's and 90's and 2000's???
    Aircraft do tend to stick around for awhile!

Keep in mind that a well-maintained "old" aircraft probably has very few parts that are very old at all.
    Most aircraft - and especially helicopters - have a LOT of components that are replaced after a certain number of flight hours, even if the component shows no appreciable wear or damage.

Most of the OH-58D's I flew actually started out life as OH-58A/C, which are basically slightly-modified JetRangers (and had to go through a massive rebuild to become a 58D!)

The last AH-1 Cobra I flew in early 2001 was built in 1970!
    It's now sitting outside a hangar in Ozark, Alabama, waiting to be donated or permanently parked in the Arizona desert, waiting to be turned into beer cans..
    That's the same fate awaiting the retiring OH-58D fleet.

"My" first aircraft, summer 1988 (actually had my name on the side after I got my Pilot-in-Command orders; pretty cool! ) was an OH-58/C.
    After digging into "my" bird's historical records, I was a bit surprised to find out that helicopter had actually been shot down during Vietnam...
    Last edited by Stuka; 07-14-2015 at 05:32.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    Just one problem -
    It's been several years, but if I recall correctly, Cessna 150's don't hover very well...
    Actually....when I do a power on stall the airspeed indicator reads 0 and no stall. I have to back off the power slightly or drop the nose otherwise it will just sit there.

Actually....when I do a power on stall the airspeed indicator reads 0 and no stall. I have to back off the power slightly or drop the nose otherwise it will just sit there.
    But can you land it that way - on purpose?
    RR

Sweet.....

Two years at the local airshow the Army Aviation Heritage Foundation had a Huey and a AH-1F Cobra there offering rides. I tried to go in the Cobra but it was booked for the rest of the day. Last year I got to the airshow early and went to the tent and signed up. I got to ride up front in one of 6 Cobras certified to fly passengers in the world. Four of the 6 are owned by the Army Aviation Heritage Foundation. The one I rode in was piloted by the same guy that flew the exact same Cobra in battle. When he was hired as a pilot he didn't know they had his old friend.
    It wasn't the cheapest ride but I will never forget it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-03-15 09.43.04.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	47730

Name:	IMG_1234.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	952.3 KB 
ID:	47731

Name:	IMG_1237.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	996.7 KB 
ID:	47732

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    But can you land it that way - on purpose?
    Never tried and don't plan on it. Lol

Two years at the local airshow the Army Aviation Heritage Foundation had a Huey and a AH-1F Cobra there offering rides. I tried to go in the Cobra but it was booked for the rest of the day. Last year I got to the airshow early and went to the tent and signed up. I got to ride up front in one of 6 Cobras certified to fly passengers in the world. Four of the 6 are owned by the Army Aviation Heritage Foundation. The one I rode in was piloted by the same guy that flew the exact same Cobra in battle. When he was hired as a pilot he didn't know they had his old friend.
    It wasn't the cheapest ride but I will never forget it.
    Too cool!
    Cobra's are fun rides!!

Two of their birds came from my old unit -
    does this color scheme look familiar?

Name:	TNARNG_Army Heritage.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	47735
    RR

Sweet.....

Holey crap! What SN did you fly? I rode in 15826.

Full disclosure -
    I didn't get the chance to fly that particular Cobra in it's current paint scheme; I flew it while it was still sporting tactical colors.
    If I recall correctly, there was around a 3 or 4-year break between the time I flew that tail number as a tactical aircraft, and the time the fleet came back by our flight facility (and provided the photo op) sporting NASCAR paint jobs.

I'll have to reload my electronic logbook and look up some tail numbers ~
    it's been a few years since I looked at any of that!!
    RR

Sweet.....