Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Brad's next purchase... (Just kidding!)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    But, even here veteran observes will say that when the image is divided between the two eyes (identical images), they can see dimmer objects and the observing is more pleasant.
    Is this what you are describing, one camera with two "screens"?
    The standard goggles that they sell for FPV flying work that way, yes. You have one camera and the image is delivered to two screens in the googles, one for each eye. But since it is the same image you don't get any extra depth information.

But as Chris explained, the goggle system I want to get actually uses two cameras, so you have distinct left and right images. This gives you true 3D stereoscopic vision, just like you would normally have. Everything I've read about them suggests that they are vastly superior, particularly when it comes to depth and altitude perception. (Your brain uses the parallax between the left and right eye to derive depth information.)

Since depth perception seems to be the big stumbling block for me when flying FPV, I figure I need all the help I can get. That's why I would insist on the 3D goggles if I decide to build one of these racing quads. (I currently have a small FPV quad that just has a video screen on the controller and a single camera on the bird, and I find it quite difficult to fly that unit using the FPV screen, even though I can fly it just fine using line-of-sight.)

Adam

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post

In fact, tomorrow Marie wants to go shopping for furniture. Lucky me...
    Just as a heads up you've got 7 days left on my prediction to get some aspect of this FPV stuff ordered.

And by deductive reasoning, based on a FB post, it seems there is a queen size bed in the guestroom now. That leads me to think some "movement" has just occurred. Should this be the case... then it's time to tell Marie, you've held up your end and she's gotten the furniture.

Or... not tell her.
    "Oh... what... that box? Did I forget to mention...."

You trying to get me in trouble?

Yeah, we bought the furniture and the new mattresses. Bedroom set won't be here for another week, but the mattresses arrive today. Spend way more than we planned though. (Holy shit that stuff is expensive!)

I'm still thinking about it, but I have a feeling I'm going to miss my May 16th deadline for the FVP stuff. Gotta save up for the DZ/Ekeefe Advanced ILDA Router, after all.

Adam

The camera and transmitter are only like $66 and... it's a start. If you order them before next Saturday... I'll have been right. Jus' sayin'

(I almost placed an order this morning for some of the gear. ) LOL

Chris.... question for you. I know you have two sets of goggles. I assume you simply have them on the same frequency so you and a "ride along" can watch. How many sets of goggles can you have receiving the signal from the bird?

I toyed around with just getting the goggles before SELEM and just "riding" along on everyone else's flights, before getting my own camera, transmitter, new quad and everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    The camera and transmitter are only like $66 and... it's a start.
    Nah. If I'm going to do this, I'm going to do it right. 3D stereoscopic goggle system with dual cameras and dual high-res screens in the goggles. Unfortunately, the price is a bit steep ($535). And then I would need to actually purchase the bird (another $170 or so). Fortunately, I have a spare radio already.

Maybe in the summer - we shall see.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Chris.... question for you. I know you have two sets of goggles. I assume you simply have them on the same frequency so you and a "ride along" can watch. How many sets of goggles can you have receiving the signal from the bird?

I toyed around with just getting the goggles before SELEM and just "riding" along on everyone else's flights, before getting my own camera, transmitter, new quad and everything else.
    Sorry I took so long to respond. I was busy working around the house all weekend.
    There is no limit to the number of goggles you can use. Think of the quadcopter like a radio station and the goggles like the radio in your car. Anyone with the proper equipment, on the correct channel and within range can pick up the signal.

If you are just wanting to watch. I have a spare 5.8Ghz receiver I can bring to SELEM. All we would need is a monitor with an analog video input. Then everyone could see.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerjock View Post
    I have a spare 5.8Ghz receiver I can bring to SELEM. All we would need is a monitor with an analog video input. Then everyone could see.
    "Analog video input"...

Do you mean VGA, or Composite (ntsc) video?

Thinking I might be able to bring a 40 in TV...

Adam

Composite (ntsc) video.
    Keep in mind 5.8 Ghz doesn't like solid objects, so the monitor/receiver will need to be "line of sight" to the quadcopter. If the monitor is set up somewhere inside the building the signal will be horrible if I fly outside.
    A 40" TV may be a little much to huff to the field next door if I do demo flights there. Lol that's a really long extension cord.

Got it. OK, maybe the TV isn't such a good idea. But a small inverter plus a monitor with NTSC input might still work. (Thinking about my Jeep with the 12V outlet at the back - I could run the inverter off that and stick the monitor inside the hatch so people could watch from there...)

Adam