Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Brad's next purchase... (Just kidding!)

Sounds like good idea.
    I have a 12v 6" monitor, but I think it's too small for anyone but me to see.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I would think that would work well. However... it's just the receiver that would need to have line of site, correct? The monitor doesn't really matter. I'm thinking if the 40" were just inside the door of ClubSELEM and a video cord run out the door, the receiver could be up on top of the chain link fence or, even at the gutter or roof level of the cafeteria and still see the bird.

Based on the distance from the boat house to the cut off where you turn in off the highway and the fact you had the quad that far away at FLEM, I would think the receiver would pick up the signal fine from the field across the street. A 40" monitor would be badass although, how good is the resolution once you blow it up that big? (I have long lengths of composite cable - at least a 50 footer.)

It's not really the distance that is the factor, it's the solid objects. A small tree branch with leaves is enough to disrupt the signal. It's amazing how little it takes to kill it. I like the idea of leaving the monitor inside though. I also have a long RCA cable that I plan to bring anyway. We could connect them and get the receiver quite a bit higher/closer/free of obstacles. The receiver is smaller than a pack of cigarettes so it should be easy to find somewhere to put it outside.
    Besides I won't be flying it through the monitor anyway. I will be using my goggles which have their own receivers.
    Yes the resolution will not seem as good on the large monitor. We are dealing with standard resolution not high definition, but who cares.

OK, I will plan on bringing the TV. I'll see if I can pick up an inverter that will power it as well.

Speaking of quad-copters, did you guys see the new "Lily" drone that was all over Reddit the other day?
    This thing is seriously cool. Check out the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vGcH0Bk3hg

There are two major drawbacks to the thing, in my opinion:

1) sealed, non-removable battery. Makes sense, since otherwise it would be tough to waterproof the thing, but it means you can't carry extra batteries and swap them out. So you get 20 minutes of flight time and then you're done unless you have a charger handy.

2) zero obstacle-avoidance. Again, it makes sense, since it's just following the tracking "puck" that you wear, but it limits the usage to wide-open spaces. If you don't consider your surroundings, this thing will happily fly itself into a tree (or a building) while shooting your video.

With that taken into account, it's still a damned cool idea, and at the pre-order price of just $499, it's tempting. (Rumor is that they'll have them shipping by next February, at which point the price more than doubles.) But I think I'll pass, if only because I'd rather get some FPV gear first. (The camera specs are quite impressive though.)

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    With that taken into account, it's still a damned cool idea, and at the pre-order price of just $499, it's tempting. (Rumor is that they'll have them shipping by next February, at which point the price more than doubles.) But I think I'll pass, if only because I'd rather get some FPV gear first. (The camera specs are quite impressive though.)
    It can't follow you while you're diving and I think you said you sold your ski equipment so, yeah.... FPV first. See??? You can tell Marie I talked you out of spending some money. Maybe that'll score brownie points.

Actually, I still have my ski equipment. Just haven't used it in about 10 years!

But yeah, FPV is probably going to take precedence over buying one of these things. It's just that I have a lot of other things that are going to take precedence over the FPV! (Like an Advanced ILDA Router, for example.)

And if you think that selling Marie on an FPV setup will be hard, you have no idea what it's going to be like when I tell her I want more laser shit...

Adam

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Actually, I still have my ski equipment. Just haven't used it in about 10 years!

But yeah, FPV is probably going to take precedence over buying one of these things. It's just that I have a lot of other things that are going to take precedence over the FPV! (Like an Advanced ILDA Router, for example.)

And if you think that selling Marie on an FPV setup will be hard, you have no idea what it's going to be like when I tell her I want more laser shit...

Adam
    please video that conversation
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    ...from your new FPV as it's hovering in the kitchen.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    i like the way you think!
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

you have no idea what it's going to be like when I tell her I want more laser shit...
    Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    If I did, it would be rated "R" for violence and strong language!

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    In that case it would be classified as a snuff film! You'd never hear from me again... (Then again, that might be an interesting event in itself. The bandwidth savings on PL alone would be amazing!)

Adam