Thread: rendering lumia?

Default rendering lumia?

Kind of out there, but...

Has anyone emulated laser lumia (ie beams through rotation shower glass style) effects? I've been thinking about this for a while, and soon may have my life in order enough to pick it up. We've all bemoaned the inability on cameras to capture lasers - has anyone climbed a bit higher on the learning curve and is willing to talk?
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Ayup. I'm a commercial photographer and laser artist deep into lumia.

See: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...esources+lumia

What do you mean by "emulated laser lumia"? Lumia using other than lasers? That I wouldn't know about.
    Research: Thomas Wilfred; he was doing this back in the 1920s.

But I've shot a lot of lumia; check out my website: http://mikegouldlaserartist.com

Turn off the motor, dial your camera down a couple of stops and have at it.

...Mike
    Runs with Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by clickamouse View Post
    snip
    What do you mean by "emulated laser lumia"? Lumia using other than lasers? That I wouldn't know about.
    Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm interested in producing Lumia type effects digitally for video production and perhaps fulldome. The simplest approach is just to simulate the "shower glass" and ray trace the beams going through "it". I'm not against doing it the hard way, but wondered if anyone had any different ideas...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Ah, that's different.

I seem to recall reading about someone doing this in software somewhere recently.
    The interweb searches are polluted with the Lumia phone, so digging this out may be a challenge.

Good luck...Mike
    Runs with Lasers

I think you could create a 3d mesh in a 3d modeller, make it translucent, apply a lumia-esque texture to it, then animate the offset/rotation of the texture as well as deforming the mesh and finally passing the final render through image filters.

I think you could create a 3d mesh in a 3d modeller, make it translucent, apply a lumia-esque texture to it, then animate the offset/rotation of the texture as well as deforming the mesh and finally passing the final render through image filters.
    Could also be done with particles. Some programs out there allow to generate particles in the locations of a meshe's vertices and those can be animated too.

Shouldn't be too hard to make a lumia shader for people with the know-how. I imagine building on top of an existing reflective shader, and adding a bunch of filter effects like distortion, edge detection, contrast manipulation, blurring, noise, etc. Could maybe also be done realistically with ray tracing rendering.

look up caustics. the refraction algo for light passing through water renders similar to what you want

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    look up caustics. the refraction algo for light passing through water renders similar to what you want
    Thanks......................