Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need input for SELEM location this summer

Aaron;

I promise I'll be more carefull with the video camera this time! I'm surprised that you wouldn't consider a road trip to NC though... We're only talking 8-9 hours. (Hotels are cheap up there dude.)

David;

Yeah, That sort of what I was thinking. We've got a lot of folks that are north of us that are interested in attending, so it only seemed fair to try and make NC work for this one. But that sucks for everyone in Florida.

Steve-O;

I sort of figured that the lasers would give out about the same time as the people would! But we will have an area that will have A/C. There is some talk about people bringing larger lasers though - big frame ion stuff - that would have to be set up outside. That will probably have to wait until the evening though.

Adam

Any consideration of backdrops needed for a screen? Inside or out ? Having a bear of a time locating another venue....seems the N.Guard idea may not be soo good after some talk....lasers seem to scare some people...even low power ! Oh well still searching. Let me know on the backdrop......may be able to get an old billboard cover.....I know it is shiny white plastic , but it may be OK for distant work....30 meters or beter......update soon....
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Any progress on the venue? Did NC or FL win the vote? Should we do a poll? Am I asking too many questions?

Smile

Hi Steve-o...

NC won. Fl was a close second, and we'll probably do something in the fall in Florida too, but the summer SELEM event will be located in zip code 27292, which is Lexington, NC.

We're planning a 2-day event. Saturday, July 28th will kick things off, and we'll continue the festivities well into the night. Sunday, July 29th we'll come right back and geek out some more - at least until the evening hours when folks will probably want to start packing up so they can be home (or at least on their way home) later that evening.

More details to follow soon, but now is the time to mark you calender...

Adam

YEAY
    Cant wait!
    Thanks Adam

There's a large FL community here it seems, and it's a great idea that there'll be another one in the fall here in FL. I'll make sure to be there for that one. As for the NC event, I too cannot make it out. Hope to see you all in the fell then...

--DDL

Lexington, NC? LOL. I used to live in NC so that's funny.

Don't forget to try the BBQ, although I prefer the other NC kind.

I lived in Memphis for a while so bbq is my middle name. It's all good if you know how to make it right. I do prefer the tomat based over the mayo.
    So who's bringing the music?

Smile

Good question... We haven't figured that out yet!

I've got a small amp and some speakers I could bring. (Home stereo basically, but it's plenty loud.) Might be able to work out something with Jeff too. I need to check with him though. (Waiting for a call back from him in fact...)

I also need to talk with Jeff about the venue. While we're still OK for the private residence location, there is another possibility that recently opened up that might be even better. There is a church nearby that has a gymnasium attached to it. Roughly the size of a basketball court - with a concrete floor, air conditioning, and *lots* of 3 phase power available. Only problem is that it might only be available for Saturday, the 28th of July. We're checking now on whether we can use it for both days, and how late into the evening on Saturday it will be available. If we like the answer we get from the folks at the church, we might consider having the even there vs the private residence.

Either way though, the location will be Lexington, NC - so you can make your travel plans now. (Including hotel reservations, etc.) The church is about 2 minutes away from the private residence we already have scheduled.

I'm hoping to have the rest of the details nailed down in another week or so, at which point I'll start another thread and post everything in one place. It might be a good idea for folks that are considering coming to this event to start thinking about what equipment you can realistically bring with you. I'd like to gather that information early, so we're sure we have enough power and water cooling.

Adam

A Church for a laser/ rock* party!? (I'm assuming*-probably all kinds of music).
    Hope the people are open-minded
    Sounds (pi) like you-all have the music gear nailed down so I wont bring mine unless needed.