Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: NUBM44 blue- New Video

Perhaps the aspect ratio on this is even worse than the P73/HL63193....Dunno....wouldn't that be a PITA !!! We have some options for optical correction/adaptation... Fun times again !!! Let's hammer this beam into sweet submission !!!!
    Nothing could be worse than the 73 (knock on wood).

If the diodes are good for 6-7w stable and the emitter is 3X the 2-2.5 watt diodes I would say its a win.
    I agree. The costs might turn out to be lower as well. Lenses and prisms etc cost money and add up.

There is one exception to this. When the three diodes are lined up in the module after all that knife edging you will have a beam on your scanner that is the same size as the single NUBM44...but...wait for it... because you can converge each lower divergence beam to the same point in the far field the spot size can equal the size of a single spot at that specific focus.

Nothing could be worse than the 73 (knock on wood).
    I think it might be.

This new diode is rated at 3.75 watts at 2.5 amps.
    Anything over that is overdriving it.
    BTW, that power out is neither min or max, but typical.
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine

Haven't had a chance to view video yet ( no broadband) !
    @ planter's " The P73 is using Dave's 2mm aspheric lens and the 9mm is using the G-9 collimator."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thinking2.gif 
Views:	497 
Size:	2.3 KB 
ID:	47690 Forgive my appalling ignorance,.... but what exactly is a G-9 collimator?
    and where does it come from?
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by catalanjo View Post
    but what exactly is a G-9 collimator?
    and where does it come from?

It is the stock lens in one of the projectors we originally found the NDB7875 diodes in. It is a lens very similar to the G-2.

I've got one of these on the way to use in my diode laser cutter. Any suggestions on optics to tame the beam for optimal cutting?

-Jim

You need to specify the cutting distance and the spot size before any practical recommendations can be made. You need to spend more time describing your "laser cutter". Remember, we don't know what you are cutting and how thick it is.

Like any laser cutter it won't be cutting one material or thickness. Like most laser cutters mine has a variable cutting distance based on how the lens is focused. I don't think specifics of the above actually make much difference to the question.

This is the current configuration of my cutter, I'm in the process of building an X-Y-Z machine that should be more accurate than the delta in the video below.

-Jim

Oh my, a laser cutter that is not enclosed! Extraction? Protection?
    This space for rent.

Like any laser cutter it won't be cutting one material or thickness. Like most laser cutters mine has a variable cutting distance based on how the lens is focused.
    The video helps a lot. The open nature of the head and work piece suggests you will be cutting thin organics and so the energy density and power does not need to be high. Furthermore, these items produce a lot of smoke and if you are not using pressurized air the keep debris away from the optics then you will want to use a long FL lens. Also, with the low precision clamping (tape) the depth of focus needs to be pretty deep. You might just get away with a G9 collimator from DTR and adjust the focal distance to be close to the head to work distance.