Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: NUBM44 blue- New Video

Default NUBM44 blue- New Video

I just uploaded my review of the newest and most powerful of the Nichia GaN diodes. I am a little disappointed that although it is the most powerful, it is not tremendously more powerful. I also look at the wavelength and the divergence. Interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDfwJw7S_CE

FINALLY!!!!! Busy at work but not too busy to watch this!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

have you measured the losses are you getting through the windows and what lens are you using. With a G-2 not other obstructions @ 1.6A I am getting 2.4W where you are only getting 1.6W, @ 4A I am getting 6.2W. Others are confirming outputs similar to my testing. Also with a three element lens I am getting 5W @ 4.5A which that lens has considerable losses. I am very confused by your power test.

I did measure the losses through the optics. The loss through the window and the two PCX lenses is about 3%. Loss through the two cylinders is about 6% with almost all of that from the steeply curved (-)25mm lens. This lens is coated with MgFl because of its steep curvature. The others are all Vis -0 anti-reflection coated from Edmund optics. The collimator is one of the stock lenses that is harvested from the projectors equipped with the lower power 9mm diodes. These are the lenses you sent with the diode.

Although the power meter is not NIST traceable, it is the same one that I have used to demonstrate power levels in my previous videos and when testing other diodes such as the M140 diodes and the P73 as well as my dye laser, the powers have been pretty much what was expected.

It would be nice if this diode did turn out to be more the 50% more powerful than I am measuring. In any case, what do you think about the divergence?

Thank you for an excellent, informative, and lucid video!

Well that's abit dissapointing, isn't it if you look at the tests lazeerer did, the diodes seem to be anything but consistent...maybe the case with these? But that seems weird, why would Nichia, out of all the manufacturers out there, release a product for commercial use that doesn't meet/exceed spec 100% of the time?

I always enjoy watching your videos mr.planters =]

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy View Post
    Well that's abit dissapointing, ....... But that seems weird, why would Nichia, out of all the manufacturers out there, release a product for commercial use that doesn't meet/exceed spec 100% of the time?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ might have something to do with it !
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy View Post
    Well that's abit dissapointing, isn't it if you look at the tests lazeerer did, the diodes seem to be anything but consistent...maybe the case with these? But that seems weird, why would Nichia, out of all the manufacturers out there, release a product for commercial use that doesn't meet/exceed spec 100% of the time?
    I am not sure that is it. I have tested more than 10 of these and they all have been within 100mW of 6.2W @ 4A. Lazeerer and Rick Trent also have posted tests of several diodes that are the same output. I am not sure what is going on with this one but I probably will ask Eric to shoot that one over for me to do a test on. Something is not right.

Different one in a handheld with G-2 and three element lens test.

Last edited by DTR; 07-07-2015 at 05:35.

As usual, thank you kind sir for your video.
    This space for rent.