Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aesculap Meditec Pro-Yellow Instructions?

Default Aesculap Meditec Pro-Yellow Instructions?

I'm looking at one of these CuBr lasers tomorrow afternoon, that should be operational. Power will be available to turn it on, but I have no experience with them and there's no manual. Does anyone here have experience with them? I'm looking for a basic turn-on and turn-off procedure to verify it lases. Otherwise, I'll do my best with menu interpretation and navigation. There's a video of one running on Youtube I've seen, and it helps. Thanks!

I'm very familiar with them; I've the full manual somewhere, although pretty much plug in, flip the breakers on the back, turn the key (then go make a proper cup of English Breakfast) while the thyratron heats and then the CuBr boils.

PM me your email address to send it to.

P.S. If you're going to decide whether it's junk or not, the most important thing is to find the no. of hours on the tube. Sub 800-1,000 has life in it, although in my opinion: buy, buy, buy, irrespective
    Take photos of the tube / cruddy deposits. Turning them off without shutting them down will drastically reduce the lifetime by an order of magnitude.
    Always always always run the full shutdown procedure, run them down for an absolute min of 20 mins, pref 40-60min.
    Last edited by danielbriggs; 07-14-2015 at 14:15.
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Could I have a copy of the manual too please... I too, own one of these beasts in working order.

Earl Grey or Rose rather then English Breakfast for me, please.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Done!

The Earl is also acceptable.
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

It started up fine at the seller's so now it's at the Vintage Laser Archive where the first order of business was to give it a thorough cleaning. Just a good layer of storage dust inside. Now it's plugged in and ready to run with the fiber taking the light up to a breadboard I mounted on another old laser, to hold the hand piece and a power meter (same vintage as the laser). Notice the thermometer, at 9:30am! I have the doors to the house open and all air conditioners and fans going to keep it sane while I run this heater.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Meditec Electronics.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	476.9 KB 
ID:	47894Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Meditec Testing.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	539.5 KB 
ID:	47895

It's doing 2.8 Watts in green at 511nm, 1.4 Watts in yellow at 578nm, both as displayed on the console. There's only 585 hours on the system so it's not at the end of its life, but there is an obstruction sticking up into the beam from the bottom of the tube. Two pics below show its shadow on the output tube window and one of the filters. Gonna need a manual to see how to properly adjust everything. But it certainly runs! Notice the swirls of copper vapor inside the tube on the close-up pic of the window.

Name:	Meditec Running.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	416.1 KB 
ID:	47896Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Meditec window.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	381.6 KB 
ID:	47897Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Meditec filter.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	416.6 KB 
ID:	47898

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Hum, mine does not have the swirls when it runs. Did you see the optimzation command in the menu? It runs for about two hours and adjusts the three reservoir temps. That may help with your object problem. Also back in the fiber entry are two hex keys stored for adjusting the optics and feedback mirror.

Manual covers ops and schematics but does not cover mechanical optimization such as fibers and mirrors.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I tried to optimize with the command, but the power was unstable, so it wouldn't run. I'll try again after the tube runs longer to get it stable. The swirls are only there when it first starts up. The plan is to replace the SMA connector on the laser with a collimating lens, send the beam up through a hole in the cover, then off a directing mirror to send it where I want. That yellow beam is great!!!

Tried the best lenses I had on the shelf here but it appears I'll have to buy one to properly down-collimate the beam. Ran the heater optimization program, but it stopped in the middle telling me to check heater operation. It went back to initial settings, so I thought I'd see if I could walk the beam to avoid the obstruction and it worked. Now getting 2.6W yellow and 3.7W green. If that's all there is I'm happy, but I think thee's more in there if I can find a way to melt the obstruction (which was changing shapes during the optimization program).

Can't leave this thread without beam shots! Nothing in the sky though, as I'm in the flight path of PHX only about 6 miles out. The beam only spreads to about 1.25" after 1740 inches of path. Isn't that about 200 microradians? Anyway, excellent for my needs.

Name:	Yellow Beam in Shop.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	399.1 KB 
ID:	48002Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yellow Beam in Gazebo.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	649.5 KB 
ID:	48003Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yellow Beam in Yard.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	626.9 KB 
ID:	48004Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Green Beam in Yard.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	538.6 KB 
ID:	48005