Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: NUBM07E 465nm 2.9W Diode Test

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    Just a FYI, I ran into one that didn't pop its top so easy. I have 4 of them and one of them was a total bear. The others were simple just like the video. Not sure why this one was awful, but will see if I destroyed the die as I morphed the 9mm housing and also shattered the stock lens getting it apart.

John...Have you thrown any optics in front of this diode ??? What were the results ??? I should be getting one in a few days !! Should be interesting !!

I will slap a set of 6X in front.....and see what the Nearfield and Farfield amount to. IMNSHO...if we can tame the P73/63193....we should be able to tame this LD....And...If you compare it to the NUBM044....which is a real dog.....even a 7W....the apparent luminosity is 5W @ the 468nm line = 6.25W @ the 445nm line.. Close.....and hopefully much better beam characteristics !!!
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

4x in front of it. No measurements yet.
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...856#post317856
    Quote Originally Posted by CDBEAM View Post
    John...Have you thrown any optics in front of this diode ??? What were the results ??? I should be getting one in a few days !! Should be interesting !!

I will slap a set of 6X in front.....and see what the Nearfield and Farfield amount to. IMNSHO...if we can tame the P73/63193....we should be able to tame this LD....And...If you compare it to the NUBM044....which is a real dog.....even a 7W....the apparent luminosity is 5W @ the 468nm line = 6.25W @ the 445nm line.. Close.....and hopefully much better beam characteristics !!!
    leading in trailing technology

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    4x in front of it. No measurements yet.
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...856#post317856

Crap...Maybe we will need to employ the LSP 2mm EFL also on this diode !! ?? Maybe we will need to use 6X Cylindricals ??? Dunno...I gottem both to try

I will post when I get the bits !!.....Thanx for the beam shots....Color looks GREAT !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Anymore tests on these diodes? The 4 I tested were all more around 3.3W at max rated current of 3.5A. Nowhere near the 4W + your showing at that same current. I am using g2 lens and cleaned them all with first contact to be sure.
    I have ordered a new power meter head as I am question it after some high wattage passes.
    Where did you find the 2.3A spec for rated power? Edit just read the whole sheet better.
    Thanks
    Last edited by polishedball; 08-20-2015 at 16:52.

These diodes are the sh!t! I finally had a chance to do a quick test. With the stock lens and a set of 6X cylinders I am getting ~4X5mm (5mm-SA)after the cylinders and about .65mRad in the slow axis. The focus of the stock lens is really pretty good and can be cleaned up with the cylinder expander focus. I couldn't find a 9V battery around for my higher power meter so I used my 2W ophir. At 1A I'm seeing 900mW, and 1.72A hit the 2W max of the meter. So far looks pretty good compared what others are seeing power wise. I will get some spectro readings when I get a chance. At this point I see no reason not to use the factory lens.

Quote Originally Posted by logsquared View Post
    These diodes are the sh!t! I finally had a chance to do a quick test. With the stock lens and a set of 6X cylinders I am getting ~4X5mm (5mm-SA)after the cylinders and about .65mRad in the slow axis. The focus of the stock lens is really pretty good and can be cleaned up with the cylinder expander focus. I couldn't find a 9V battery around for my higher power meter so I used my 2W ophir. At 1A I'm seeing 900mW, and 1.72A hit the 2W max of the meter. So far looks pretty good compared what others are seeing power wise. I will get some spectro readings when I get a chance. At this point I see no reason not to use the factory lens.
    Are you removing the lens and putting it in a new barrel?

No. Using stock lens.

I just robbed a 9V from something else.

I am seeing 3.95W at 3.5A. But my heatsink is inadequate. I was up to 38C by the end of the test. Also my mount is brass. I think copper is mandatory at these drive levels.

Edit: I let the mount cool and ramped the current up to 3.5A and it went up to 4.2Watts. I could see the power drop as the temp was increasing.

Quote Originally Posted by logsquared View Post
    No. Using stock lens.

I just robbed a 9V from something else.

I am seeing 3.95W at 3.5A. But my heatsink is inadequate. I was up to 38C by the end of the test. Also my mount is brass. I think copper is mandatory at these drive levels.

Edit: I let the mount cool and ramped the current up to 3.5A and it went up to 4.2Watts. I could see the power drop as the temp was increasing.
    Thanx LS....you are blazing the trail.....I should have my NUBM07E by tomorrow. I will use a G2 lens....with the exact same 6X Cylindrical optics !! I should get the same results !!!

This LD will become the new Blue " Holy Grail " !!!
    Relatively inexpensive, much improved luminance at the 470nm line, great color, now...correctable to a great degree !!! This diode is " outa the ball park "

I had a chance to "play" with it a bit more this morning. The blue color is amazing. Looks to my eye more sky blue than the m262. I have to go by a Hg bulb to calibrate my spectrometer. I will check the wavelength soon hopefully. I took a closer look at the spot further away and the stock lens is just slightly out of focus. I put the beam through a 1 to 1 positive lens set and was able to Focus the spot to a perfect line in the FA direction. Before the telescope the FA had the lighter MM stripes around it like the P73's. The MM lines were completely removed after the 1 to 1 telescope. However, If I where using just 1 of these (or 2 cubed) I think I would still use the stock lens (assuming all the diodes come focused the same from the factory). The MM stripes actually make for a really round spot after correction.

Think about it..... One of these diodes + 2 cylinders = 3-4W of amazing blue. That's fricken outrageous!!

Great Results.. I have not had a chance yet to test the stock lens with some C-lens since i got my array's in but I have to try it this weekend. Looks interesting. Bob sent me some of his 6x C-lenses and they are great. "C-lens Founded by Edison original" Iam curious what results i can get with the stock lens. You do loose some Power with the stock lenses though. its not much.

What is the Aperture beam sizes LS of your setup.? Also the 4x5mm size.... what is the distance thats at.?

How far away did you have the C-lenses from the diode.?

I did just a quick test and here is the quick setup. This weekend i will do more beam correction testing as ill have a little more time on my hands to set something up better then this,

The First C-lens in placed 3" in front of the Diode.

Here is what iam getting with this setup. Please note that this was a Quick test so alignment was not 100% perfect, So expect slightly better results then these numbers once i get it aligned perfectly.(Also note this might not be the best distance away from the diode for correction so that might play effect too in better results.)

6mm x 3.1mm at 28' with the 4mm China G-lens.

7.5mm x 2.5mm at 28' Using a 3.1mm FL lens.

The dots can be very easy spatial filtered too and it appears you wont be loosing any/much power at all to clean it up.

I dont have any 2mm FL lenses but i have a 1.5mm FL lens. Iam not sure though it can focus that close because the diodes die mount might extend to far out for it to focus. Ill check though.

I will experiment placing the C-lenses at different lengths away from the diode itself as i know that also plays a part on beam size and also play around with some other lenses and C-lens i have to see if i can get any better results then iam seeing now.

None the less iam very happy with how the results are going.

Interesting results with the Stock lens LS. What are the 2 positive lenses you used if you dont mind me asking. I think i have a few different + lenses here to play with too.. What is the FL of the + lenses you are using.?
    Does the Beam/Dot slightly get deformed with the + lenses.?
    Last edited by Lazeerer; 08-21-2015 at 14:34.