Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 8W RGB and New Modules. New Company: AtenLaser

Wow those spots look great! are you using a pinhole for the filter?

Thanks Adam,

Diodes dies due temperature. There are lots of pjs out there with NO TEC'D reds running at 700mW fitted on baseplates that easily reach 30C or more, and this is considered a safe use of reds.
    Simple test: fire not tec'd red at CW modulation full 5v and look how power is going down slowly while baseplate and diodes heats up.

I'm pretty sure that our reds are running happily and less stressed than those not tec'd reds. We keep our diodes at constant 18C although they run @950mW.
    Our Tec takes care of red diodes, so output power is constant.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    At SELEM 2 years ago, PolishedBall (John Murphy) had a single red diode (Mitsubishi 638 nm) that was TEC-cooled. We measured 950 mw at the output, and that was after a set of cylindrical optics.

We ran that laser continuously for several days at SELEM with no problems. John said that he had other rigs where he was pushing a full watt or more out the front end.

Bottom line: with proper TEC cooling, you can get over a watt out of the bare diode, and even after optical losses you can have a full watt of output.

Adam
    Last edited by jors; 07-23-2015 at 00:58.

Molybdenum aperture.
    However you can also custom your own pinhole size/geometry with Planters razor blades technique. There are some neodymium magnets for this purpose on pinhole support.

Quote Originally Posted by logsquared View Post
    Wow those spots look great! are you using a pinhole for the filter?
    Last edited by jors; 07-23-2015 at 00:48.

Very impressive works indeed, Best multimode I've ever seen!

But I would be very careful of overdriving the diodes even they are super-cooled. The condensation issue on 18°C will be serious unless the whole module is completely sealed, which is not a easy task. I remember how my opsl red looked in a sea-side venue, always like just came out of a shower. Condensation happened actually just few seconds after power up. And diode specs are not only rated electrically but also optically. Diodes won't get hot under aggressive TEC but facet won't be happy at over spec power.

But it is no doubt a very nice build. And running them 2.5W(red) max with TEM00 is pretty enough.
    Last edited by sean; 07-23-2015 at 04:47.

TEC is not the holy grail. I've got 2 quads giving just under 3W each that are still only at pulsed max current (so not overdriven in typical laser show use) which don't even warm the baseplate.
    Passive cooling will get you an awfully long way, and reduce the ultimate amount of heat you have to shift.

Suffice to say, 3W WITH TEC is going to be absolutely fine, as I consider the TEC to be unnecessary at this power in a laser show module. Probably not if you want to run it CW for extended periods, but how many of us do that...?
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

@ "Probably not if you want to run it CW for extended periods, but how many of us do that...? "

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thinking2.gif 
Views:	296 
Size:	2.3 KB 
ID:	47858 Us possibly not Norty, but ..... hot sweaty Spanish,Italian,Greek discos... for starters !
    not to mention South & Central America, Arab countries, Asia ....you get the idea!

= example of passive Spanish cooling! ....plays havoc with yer optics !

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails idea.gif  

Last edited by catalanjo; 07-23-2015 at 06:01. Reason: UK summer only lasts for two or three days !

I think i've just creamed my pants...
    awesome module!
    Philipp Wetter

Us possibly not Norty, but ..... hot sweaty Spanish,Italian,Greek discos... for starters !
    not to mention South & Central America, Arab countries, Asia ....you get the idea!
    No, I'm missing it I'm afraid. They may have their projectors on all the time, the modules will be far from CW in any of that time. A scanned pattern is really, really not a lot like CW at all unless all you're doing is tunnels, or flat beams. A lot of DACs struggle to do a CW beam, even if you really, really, REALLY want to!
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    No, I'm missing it I'm afraid. They may have their projectors on all the time, the modules will be far from CW in any of that time. A scanned pattern is really, really not a lot like CW at all unless all you're doing is tunnels, or flat beams. A lot of DACs struggle to do a CW beam, even if you really, really, REALLY want to!
    Norty hit it on the head, trying to get a CW full power off a DAC is nearly impossible. I made a hot controller that would drop a full 5V to Red Green or Blue during a show by pressing a button and when I had each color on fully, you could hit the hot button and see about a 10-20% increase in brightness.

Lots of places in UK do REALLY REALLY cheap flights to Barcelona

I think you really need to hold a spanish LEM for us to see these in the flesh

preferably with 6 months notice so we can organise cheapest flights :-)
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers