Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: D-sub remote connector? (interlock switch?)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    28

    Default D-sub remote connector? (interlock switch?)

    Hi, first of all I apologize, if this is the wrong subforum to ask these questions.
    I've noticed, my laser projector has a d-sub connector, which has the on/off key connected on it.
    I've sent a mail to the seller, asking if there are remote controls for this (remote kill switch?).

    All I could find are remote interlock switches (like a "oow, what does this button do?"/detonate a nuke big red button thingy), but these don't have the same d-sub connector.

    Further google-searches did not yield satisfactory results.
    Since I'm new to this scene, I have alot to learn, of which this is probably one of many things.

    The projector has 2 switches to make the laser-show go merry-round.
    First, the red on-off switch, second the key to actually let the light loose.

    If so, does such a d-sub remote switch exist?

    And how about a remote control, to control the different settings, like scan-speed and auto-mode/SD-Card play.

    Many thanks for helping me out and apologies if these answers can be found on the forums

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN & Huntsville, AL, USA
    Posts
    3,118

    Default

    You posted this one in the "junk drawer" section of the forum, where it's easy for things to be forgotten!
    You'll probably get better response posting projector-specific question in the "Lasers, All Kinds" forum section.

    On to your questions -

    Assuming the D-sub you're talking about is a 9-pin, there's probably little more to it than the wiring for the interlock connection, and possibly for some sort of "reset" if your projector utilizes such a feature. The interlock - the portion that disables the projector if the ILDA 25-pin connector is removed, or remote keyswitch turned off - would NOT necessarily be standardized at the DB-9 connector, since that is pretty much up to the manufacturer to support as they see fit. If you want to wire a remote switch to that connector, you'll probably need to open up your projector's current DB-9 plug and verify which pins are shorted, and make up your remote switch & cable assembly accordingly.

    Everything else you mentioned, at least as far as SD card playback is concerned, would have to be controlled from the projector's onboard controls, or via DMX if the projector is so equipped.
    You don't get real full control of the projector until you hook up a laser controller to the ILDA 25-pin connection, but at that point you're bypassing the SD card input completely.

    Hope that helps -
    See you in the "Lasers, All Kinds" forum!!

    Randy
    Last edited by Stuka; 07-30-2015 at 10:30.
    RR

    Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    1979.
    Sweet.....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Hi Stuka, many thanks for your reply
    It was very informative.
    The D-Sub (DB9) is a plug with no wiring connected to it.
    It has a string, with the key connected.
    When I pull out the plug, the lasers stop, also, when I turn off using the key.
    I stumbled upon a "DB9 Interlock switch, which is specifically made for Eurolite ELS-Lasers.
    Since mine is from EvMA Netline series, it could possibly be incompatible, from what I understand.
    I guess it would be a simple rewiring to make it compatible with the plug which is provided with my projector then?

    Concerning the DMX/ILDA DAC, I guess that's something for another time, thanks for the informative reply

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    London or Spain depending on the weather
    Posts
    1,381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    ...... ILDA 35-pin connection, .................completely..... Hope that helps - See you in the "Lasers, All Kinds" forum!! Randy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	poke2.gif 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.4 KB 
ID:	47974 ILDA is 25-pin ! .... beware typos.
    Cheers

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN & Huntsville, AL, USA
    Posts
    3,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catalanjo View Post


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	poke2.gif 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.4 KB 
ID:	47974 ILDA is 25-pin ! .... beware typos.
    Cheers
    Good catch -

    Corrected!
    RR

    Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    1979.
    Sweet.....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN & Huntsville, AL, USA
    Posts
    3,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boempa View Post
    Hi Stuka, many thanks for your reply
    It was very informative.
    The D-Sub (DB9) is a plug with no wiring connected to it.
    It has a string, with the key connected.
    When I pull out the plug, the lasers stop, also, when I turn off using the key.
    I stumbled upon a "DB9 Interlock switch, which is specifically made for Eurolite ELS-Lasers.
    Since mine is from EvMA Netline series, it could possibly be incompatible, from what I understand.
    I guess it would be a simple rewiring to make it compatible with the plug which is provided with my projector then?

    Concerning the DMX/ILDA DAC, I guess that's something for another time, thanks for the informative reply
    Sounds like the plug is shorted (pins soldered together) at the connector itself -
    Not unusual for the imported projectors (I have a pair of Goldenstars that are setup the same way).

    If wanted to run a remote, you would attach your cable to a clean DB9 for the projector end, and wire the other end of the cable to a remote switch so it duplicates the shorted plug pins in the DB9 that came with the projector. Pulling the plug - or opening an attached "emergency stop switch", should you decide to utilize one - opens up the interlock signal path on the projector (which the ILDA connector would also utilize). This causes the projector to shutdown until the cables are reconnected, and the remote switch, if utilized, is reset.

    BTW -
    Remote projector "emergency stop" switches are just different variations of push-on, push off toggle switches.
    You could probably find all the parts you need at an online surplus electronics shop for very little $$.

    And as far as projector control is concerned -
    yeah, it's a whole different ballgame once you start controlling everything with laser controller software and hardware!
    What you're able to do using the built-in SD controller barely scratches the surface of what your projector is actually capable of doing ~
    you won't see it's full potential until you connect to a proper laser controller package through the ILDA interface!
    Last edited by Stuka; 07-30-2015 at 10:46.
    RR

    Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    1979.
    Sweet.....

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    Sounds like the plug is shorted (pins soldered together) at the connector itself -
    Not unusual for the imported projectors (I have a pair of Goldenstars that are setup the same way).

    If wanted to run a remote, you would attach your cable to a clean DB9 for the projector end, and wire the other end of the cable to a remote switch so it duplicates the shorted plug pins in the DB9 that came with the projector. Pulling the plug - or opening an attached "emergency stop switch", should you decide to utilize one - opens up the interlock signal path on the projector (which the ILDA connector would also utilize). This causes the projector to shutdown until the cables are reconnected, and the remote switch, if utilized, is reset.

    BTW -
    Remote projector "emergency stop" switches are just different variations of push-on, push off toggle switches.
    You could probably find all the parts you need at an online surplus electronics shop for very little $$.

    And as far as projector control is concerned -
    yeah, it's a whole different ballgame once you start controlling everything with laser controller software and hardware!
    What you're able to do using the built-in SD controller barely scratches the surface of what your projector is actually capable of doing ~
    you won't see it's full potential until you connect to a proper laser controller package through the ILDA interface!
    Again thanks for the informative reply
    It's good to know to have a projector capable of much greater shows than what is built into the SD-Card interface.
    Atm, I'm playing around with LaserShowGen, trying out different shapes and whatnot, put it on the SD-Card and learning a bit in the process.
    This will probably come in handy in the near future, when I decide to utilize a full-fledged DAC with capable software

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1

    Default

    I on't know whether remote DB9 switch exists or not, but I use the software to access my remote DB9 port - http://www.eltima.com/db9-connector-software.html

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Posts
    287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kornyfrog View Post
    I on't know whether remote DB9 switch exists or not, but I use the software to access my remote DB9 port - http://www.eltima.com/db9-connector-software.html
    There are these
    http://eightonlight.cn/products/Lase...2/0611/78.html

    As was mentioned above, each manufacturer may use different pins on the DB9 connector within their projectors to accomplish the interlock loop so it may be necessary to rewire the remote switch to accommodate your own projector.
    Last edited by ZeroPoint; 02-27-2017 at 12:34.
    LASERS!!

    1x Homemade 500mW 405nm Projector
    1x Homemade 1.2W RGB Projector
    1x Lightspace Color Ray Series 6W RGB
    2x Lightspace Venus 2W RGB

    ZPL Lighting www.zpllighting.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •