Thread: Protection for Green Multimode diodes?

Laser Warning Protection for Green Multimode diodes?

Hi,

I think I may have an idea of the answer, but thought I would ask to get a consensus. I have seen the data sheet for the 700mW and 1W green 520nm diodes and they say they have inbuilt protection, is this ESD protection? If not do I need/should I also add a Lasrorb or similar? The diodes are quite expensive and I don't want to blow one by being careless. Also what current are people running the 700mW version? I assume they are just low binned 1W diodes, but what is a safe limit for a reasonable life?

Many Thanks in Advance

Steve

The standard 445nm blue is the one you need:

http://www.lasorb.com/LASORB_L44-683-X.pdf
    Pangolin is a bit slow when it comes to keeping their lasorbs website up to date. They don,t seem to follow the market it seems. They have a lasorb for green diodes but that one is launched when the osram greens came out. That was alloooooooong time ago...... No one uses them because we have 1 watt diodes for more then a year otr 2 years now. The forward voltage is the same as the 445nm blue ones so you can use those also for green.

I agree with edison.

But, your other question as to whether you need ESD protection for the greens still remains. I would add a Lasorb even if there is ESD protection because the effectiveness of the ESD protection incorporated with the diode (if it is incorporated) is unknown. Lasorbs work really well and cost about $8.00 each.

Edison and Planters,

Thank you for your help. I think the blue Lasorb is the way to go, as you say it's not a lot of cash for a bit of peace of mind.

Cheers

Steve

After one year my question is the same.
    I didn't find lasorb for the high power green diode, so the high power "blue lasorb" working properly with the 1W green diode?
    Cheers,
    Robert

The Lasorbs are designed to short (extremely fast) for voltages greater than a particular threshold. It is this threshold that they are designed for not the particular diode. Bill will give more info because it is not quite this simple, but it is good enough for an operational understanding.

I use the high voltage Lasorbs (sold for quantum cascade lasers) to protect low voltage assemblies in my high voltage pulsed lasers.

You need the 445nm version for green 1 watt,s diodes as they have the same operating voltage. You can use this one:

http://www.lasorb.com/pdf/683.pdf

They have also one for green diodes but these are designed for Osram greens wich is confusing. But this page hasn,t been refreshed in almost 2 years haha wich shows clearly where their priorities are.

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!