Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NUBM44 diode

Default NUBM44 diode

Hello I just joined this site 5 mins ago.straight to the point I build big tesla coils 7 foot lightning bolts have a look 1000000volts Channel you tube,anyway I have recently bought the NUBM44 diode full power version what I want to do is get my tesla cool to travel down the beam I've recently tried the M140diode but the cool ignores it so I've bought the strongest available,it looks like it's trying to follow the beam...Now the big question how can I connect 20 or more of these diodes so they can all come out as one beam,I was thinking fibre optics I know the losses are high,does anyone know of any other ideas.tesla coils is my thing not lasers somehow I need to ionise the air so the beam can travel though it.if that makes any sense lol...cheers any help appreciated.

Welcome to PL!

I could be wrong but to ionize the air with laser, I think you're going to need to incorporate a Q-switched laser which is a whole other can of worms. Possibly a flashlamp pulsed laser. I don't think diodes have the energies you're looking for.

I build Tesla coils too! How about some pics?!

Here's my baby:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bigarc03.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	48352

Raised Topload:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bigarc08.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	48353
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

I am trying to send a pic I am on phone not my PC

Your coil looks good,what are the specs

Anyway i need to Send my lightning down a laser if it can be done.my coil is quad mot no ballast 64 cornell 2 kv caps can't remember the exact configure 64nf or something phenolic rsg at 12000 rpm 7 inch by 28 inch secondary double top load like yours.....I know tesla coils like to go towards fire that's why I was trying the laser thing,I know it can be done.

Thank you! I am running a 4-MOT stack, about 8,600 VAC. Tungsten ARSG. 2x .02uF Maxwells. 1200 turn 4" secondary. I get about 40" streamers and about 50" ground strikes. The PSU is limited to about 1.8KW.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000000volts View Post
    Anyway i need to Send my lightning down a laser if it can be done.my coil is quad mot no ballast 64 cornell 2 kv caps can't remember the exact configure 64nf or something phenolic rsg at 12000 rpm 7 inch by 28 inch secondary double top load like yours.....I know tesla coils like to go towards fire that's why I was trying the laser thing,I know it can be done.
    i think you'd be better off with a laminar stream of an ionic solution.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

This place is full of surprises....luverly pics.

Rumour has it that the US military managed to cause a bit of havoc to their own gear, by inadvertently discharging a lightning bolt from a nearby storm whilst playing with a high (very, very, high) power laser years ago.

However I think U R definitely right ........ diodes just don't cut it powerwise by a quite few orders of magnitude!

Cheers

Nice have you any vids on you tube.i done a two mot 4" coil rsg I found it very difficult as the spark on the rsg had to be about 1mm nearly zero tolerance lol.

These were taken a long time ago. Sorry about the low res.

900 turn Secondary:

After I raised the topload and used a 1200 turn secondary: