Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Antari Hazer Experience?

While I can't answer Brad's question about touring acts, I wanted to share my experience with hazers and foggers.

First, I had an older Antari 1200 Z fog machine (no longer in production) that worked great right up until the heater clogged and the pump failed. But it was very old and was used a lot before I ever got it. (And I used the hell out of it!) So I really can't say anything bad about Antari.

That being said, I currently own 3 of the Chauvet Hurricane 1300 fog machines, and they are GREAT! Yeah, yeah, say what you will about Chauvet being consumer grade (and not professional grade). They still work really well and have never let me down. One thing I will suggest, however, is that if you go with a standard fog machine, use Froggy's Swamp Juice exclusively. This stuff is the best fog fluid I've found, bar none. And believe me I've tried a lot of different brands (over a dozen). Froggy's has the best hang time, and I've never had it clog a machine.

If you want a hazer (for venues that don't allow fog, for example), I do agree that some of the more expensive units mentioned above are great. But they have a price tag to match!

I currently own a pair of the American DJ Haze generators that Brad suggested above, and if you are on a budget you should seriously consider one. They run between $400 and $450 per unit on-line, and I really like them. The output is close to that of a DF-50, maybe slightly less, and the hang time is the same. Also, they are rated to run continuously, and I have run mine all day (and well into the night) at SELEM without any issues.

I was warned to test mine when I first got it though. Evidently they (American DJ) had a problem when some of these units would be dead right out of the box. As Brad said, if this happens just send it back for a replacement. But if it works when you first fire it up, it will run forever.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    One thing I will suggest, however, is that if you go with a standard fog machine, use Froggy's Swamp Juice exclusively. This stuff is the best fog fluid I've found, bar none. And believe me I've tried a lot of different brands (over a dozen). Froggy's has the best hang time, and I've never had it clog a machine.
    Seconded, thirded, fourthed and fifthed! My Chauvets clogged EVERY SINGLE YEAR after using them on Halloween. Even with Chauvet's own juice, cleaning was a hassle. Adam recommended Froggy's and I have not looked back. I will put nothing else through any other glycol machine hence forth but Froggy's. Great stuff and inexpensive too.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Yeah, yeah, say what you will about Chauvet being consumer grade (and not professional grade).
    Chauvet actually have 2 grades of kit, the Disco DJ type stuff and the Pro grade, which you obviously pay more for. I'm seeing more of it around the place these days where you'd traditionally find Robe, Martin, etc.
    That said, the last job I did with some we ended up having to swap out some of the Chauvet beam heads for Chinese 2R beams, due to problems... nothing is beyond having issues.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Pardon the newbie question, but does anybody have insight into whether oil or water based haze are better/worse for setting of smoke detectors? I just came across an article which states that oil based hazers are less likely... but I thought it was the opposite?

http://www.learnstagelighting.com/ha...r-water-based/

Thanks!

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    You'll get a lot more output than the Chauvet. The key to an American DJ hazer is simply this. If it works for the first month or two, it should work forever. If you start having a problem out of the box, it will always be a problem unit. Return it and try again.
    One other question: what haze fluid do you use with it? As somebody else said, I've heard only good things about Froggy's and been using it with good success myself for the last few years, but would love to know your experience with the Haze Generator unit.

Quote Originally Posted by keebs View Post
    One other question: what haze fluid do you use with it?
    Brad doesn't have the American DJ Haze Generator. I have two of them, however, and I use the American DJ Haze Fluid. It's not any more expensive than other brands.

I have been told that you can also use the DF50 oil or the Froggy's "Dafiddy" oil, but I have not tried this myself. As I said, there's no real cost savings to be had vs the stock fluid from American DJ.

Brad has two DF50s, and as far as I know he's using Dafiddy oil from Froggy's in them.

Adam

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Correct. Dafiddy for the DF 50's. I'm using Chauvets own brand for the Hurricane's and the Geysers. I used Froggy's Houston Haze in the Antari Z-400. I tried Black Label from Guitar Center when I first got started in this for the Chauvet Hurricanes and it was terrible. Spit all over the floor in front of the units. I had to keep them on a kitchen sheet pan when I ran them. Once they clogged up, I did the distilled water and white vinegar cleaning routine (do this outdoors!) and switched to Chauvet's fluid and they ran dry as a bone and haven't dropped in output although I use them basically "never".
    The F-100 is such a beast I'll put anything in it. I've only ever used it a couple times. Takes about 12-15 minutes to heat up... puts out a shit ton of fog and you can still burn your fingers on the nozzle and hour after uplugging it.
    The G-300 from Lemaitre I only use their brand of fluid as well but you can run either fog fluid or haze fluid in one depending on the effect you're looking for.
    For the Irradient Z-300 fazers which is an Antari clone (I have 2) I haven't been too cautious about fluid either. They don't seem to change based on fluid brand.
    I have an MBT hazer as well and use their own fluid for that but, I've never been particularly happy with the machine. It works and haze comes out, just not to the sort of volume I'd expect for a brand new $500 machine. I've tried to get them to look at it but, they've never returned an e-mail when I've asked about service. They're headquartered in Charleston, SC and I've thought about having buffo go bang on their door someday but, their repair center is in Kentucky.
    PM Sent...

Regarding oil vs water, I think the reason oil 'seems' to be better with detectors is because it is more evenly applied, whereas foggers tend to plume and be denser, so you're likely to hit the detector with more fog at a time. Yes, oil has smaller particles so the theory is they don't get picked up so easily by the optical detectors.
    Remember that some venues don't allow oil due to the residue.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I think Antari is a winner with price and quality. Dot a couple around the place, leave on 20% and forget about them. All their water based hazers are excellent, and with 2x Z-350's we did this outdoors: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11375408_869644509790537_631176122_n.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	48563