Thread: new to projector stacking, advice needed

Default new to projector stacking, advice needed

fifteen characters
    Last edited by ghosttrain; 04-24-2016 at 04:55.

You need lens shift. It'll make things much easier
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

I have to ask, why stack 3 when you can get a single 20k projector? Would save you loads of time and money

I haven't needed to stack projectors for a while, but from memory, the lens shift is the important bit. Otherwise you end up having to use the geometric correction on each projector individually to get the image right. With lens shift, you can "shift" the top and bottom images to the centre without introducing keystone as you don't need to tilt the projectors "off axis".
    It's also a heap easier on the rigging as you just clamp the three cradles together in a stack and are ready to start lining up. Without lens shift, you need to physically tilt two of the projectors to make the image overlap...

I've only ever done this with "professional" grade projectors such as Barco FLM/RLM series or Christie Digital Roadie series. Since the new Digital lightning 20k+ and Barco's 30k units became available, I've not stacked any as these are truly amazingly bright!

Ah. If stacking is not the only application, then I see why you'd go this way.
    I'd still go with a more "professional" brand though like Panasonic, Christie, Barco or maybe Sanyo or Elki?...
    They cost more because they have the flexibility you'll be wanting.
    Check out gearsource for second hand units and buy one with interchangeable lenses! It'll cost more short term, but you'll find it far more flexible long term!
    Like I said before, I haven't done much video for a few years now, so my recommendation may be a little out of date, but not too much I'd hope. Don't forget, signal transfer can also be the limiting factor for edge blending and resolution, so look for a projector that has SDI-HD inputs as a minimum. Fibre cable is still horribly expensive and delicate in an event environment, and as DVI/HDMI and most other high res solutions have limited cable runs, converting to and from fibre is pretty much the only other option from memory (unless a cat5 solution has become available in the last year or so that I've not come across yet) and the converters for each end of the fibre aren't cheap, even before you get into the costs of terminated fibre looms...

That's an expensive game you're getting into. And that's a warning from a laserist, so you should be scared!

Epsom and optoma were more in the market for installation projectors back when I was using them regularly and they didn't travel well or have the features needed for fast or tricky set ups on site...
    The units I mentioned were "road ready" and some of the built in extra features would really save your ass on a job where the event designer hadn't thought about where the projectors needed to go too carefully

Looks good on paper mate. I'd see about hiring/borrowing a couple to play with and make sure it'll work for you if you can...

As to cable issues, HDMI is max 25 feet... That's at 1080p. If you run higher resolution, then the cable might need to be shorter... hence most times, we ran fibre optic with converters by "Black Magic Design" on each end. Our looms were made up of 2.5mm mains cable, Neutrik fibrecon, two cat6e lines and a xlr line for control.
    HD-SDI runs down high quality co-axial cable and is a high speed digital signal and upto 1080p if I remember rightly... and can run upto 300 feet... again from memory, and memory gets hazy with age so I'd check all this...

Actually, before you go dumping serious $$$ on projectors, if it were me, I'd make sure I knew how all this goes together... you say the projectors I recommended were too expensive, but remember that they're usually only 35-45% of the overall cost of a system to do what you're talking about. The cable alone is going to cost some serious $$$...

There are places to go to learn how it works. Google is your friend here...
    Where are you based?
    If XL Video (or PRG) have an office near you, give them a call and volunteer a few hours of your time in their shop in exchange for some knowledge. You'll learn more in a day just being around the kit and talking to those who use it every day than in weeks or even months of Internet research! Besides, you can't believe everything you read on the net! :/