Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Flashlamp Video

On my big lasers with the high trigger voltages, I have installed Lasorbs across the small processor component to protect them. If these will protect a delicate laser diode they should protect the integrated circuits on these boards.

i will give that a try, i need to order some though i am out of stock on them
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

I heard that if you use a flashlamp that does not cover the full length of a ruby rod it will shatter. Is that true? I was thinking to make some solid state lasers. The rods are dirt cheap these days with mirrors installed.

From what i know the parts of the ruby that are not illuminated by the flash lamp will absorb the laser light generated in the illuminated areas and add heat, this can cause the rod to fail from the thermal stress
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

From what i know the parts of the ruby that are not illuminated by the flash lamp will absorb the laser light generated in the illuminated areas and add heat, this can cause the rod to fail from the thermal stress
    The problem, without full illumination, will probably be absorption of the emission and reduced gain before you run into fracture. Ruby is basically doped sapphire and this is very tough. It has a high thermal conductivity as well.

A primary advantage of building your own flash lamps is that you will be able to size the lamp to match the available ruby rod and so the mismatch you will have to deal with can be prety small.

But, how is it going? Are you close are you to seeing some flashes from your lamps?

I am still waiting on the tubing from McMaster Carr so that's my only hold up right now, i have been testing the system with a commercial xenon tube and my trigger system is holding out quite well, i changed the FET to an IRF640 that has a higher current rating then the old one just to be a little over kill and it will run constantly with out any problems so far, i still need to build a frame for that, i think i will just use some acrylic for it's base and construct a clap for the ignition coil. I think i am going to put a volt meter in the voltage multiplier as i have the spare parts. you where right on the diodes for that, they are holding well during the recharge cycle with currents of about 300-500 ma. so far i am very happy with the equipment i hobbled together lol

I know i need a better needle valve when i can afford it i will be ordering one, what i have now just sucks
    Last edited by Draco; 01-16-2016 at 16:02.

well it broke my budget but i think i have some usable needle values i got from flea bay,

Good luck with them.

they seem to be 10 turn but i dont know the threads but they look standard, i am hoping i can adapt that to my needs as i dont know the cfm of them and right now i wont know, i dont have a flow meter worth a crap. that and if not they may prove useful in pyrotechnic experiments, i may be a bit slow at getting parts but this is a lot of fun, like the guy in the tv series "fringe" "an experiment! how exhilarating!
    my fixed income though slows things down a bit. I was just very happy i could reuse the caps i thought where a lost cause and new life for that odd Japanese break down tester that will supply 300-500ma recharge cycles with out over loading it, that thing is a beast and i was very lucky to get it and i got it free from a friend. it gets some strange looks from guests as it's set up in my living room, right now my bench is a mess and i still need to work on that dpss blue, i need to move a computer over to it as i took the Ir filter out of a mid quality web can and i have a different filter that attenuates the Ir but still lets some pass so i dont overload the camera but that when i run into questions use the thread i started on that, right now i am waiting on lasorbs, they will be on order the first of the month, dont want to toast my only 2 watt 808 and liberate my only flex mod from another project.
    I going to try putting my bank in parallel so i can get a higher energy from the factory tube with out hitting it's self conduction point, that is a side experiment the idea of my ultra high power camera flash, non laser related but a renewed interest to an old idea that i would have done with film and light writing if you will, or wildlife photography at night from a long distance, one reason i put the caps on a small cart so i can wheel it outside once it's correctly bolted on, i dont have all the case built for it yet, most is done though, needless say i would have a much longer recharge time as my portable hv supply is a lot less currents so dual function if you will

Holy Cow! i just got the specs for the needle valves and it is exactly to the letter the one you recommended I found 2 for 35 bucks on flebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/231293967216...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

don't know if the link will work but that was the exact device just in brass. I must have forgot that when i started negotiations on price
    Last edited by Draco; 01-24-2016 at 01:25.

the needle valve came in and it is the one from the catalog and it's brand new so i lucked out on that one, do these have a preferred direction to the flow of air though it? I am guessing they don't but just wanted to check to be sure.

the reason i asked this question is i seem to get better flow in one direction
    Last edited by Draco; 02-01-2016 at 19:06.