Thread: Smoothing jumps in point rate

Default Smoothing jumps in point rate

I've a question that's got me scratching my head a bit. Hope I can explain it right.

So you've done a show with a great busy climax that's maxing out your point rate and there's a hint of flicker. Then it climbs down to something calmer and Bump - a pattern goes off screen and suddenly the scanner can use all it's points on the two remaining shapes and they're super-sharp and brighter than they were a fraction of a second ago.

Is there a sneaky trick to smoothing such transitions folk have found? Do I need to make duplicate copies of the final shapes with a buttload of extra blanking points to switch to at the bump so the scanners stay as busy? I'm hoping not. Tried eradicating the penultimate event using ScanLimit(drawing-out function) which helped a bit but there's still a noticeable jump. Any hints much appreciated.
    Dynamics/EasyLase LC/FD820/RGB 400mW Homebrew w/EMS4ks

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

why not add an intensity event to compensate?

Quote Originally Posted by frostypaw View Post
    I've a question that's got me scratching my head a bit. Hope I can explain it right.

So you've done a show with a great busy climax that's maxing out your point rate and there's a hint of flicker. Then it climbs down to something calmer and Bump - a pattern goes off screen and suddenly the scanner can use all it's points on the two remaining shapes and they're super-sharp and brighter than they were a fraction of a second ago.

Is there a sneaky trick to smoothing such transitions folk have found? Do I need to make duplicate copies of the final shapes with a buttload of extra blanking points to switch to at the bump so the scanners stay as busy? I'm hoping not. Tried eradicating the penultimate event using ScanLimit(drawing-out function) which helped a bit but there's still a noticeable jump. Any hints much appreciated.

Definitely worth a go, feels like attacking it from the other angle but it if works eh!

Still trying to video the shows, your screen tips in a thread I found some miles back have improved things massively by the way thanks.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

The old way is all the points stay up, just some get selectively blanked. I have more then one complex graphic animation in my collection where they hand blank or mask portions of the image to keep brightness even. I'd mutter something about switching to a vector based system, but I guess your stuck with Dynamics.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

i don't know about Dynamics, but LSX doesn't scan masked objects. i use that technique all the time to add negative space and reduce point count.

you could try cloning your object to increase points. or do some eye melty intensity sine waves and use it do your advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    The old way is all the points stay up, just some get selectively blanked. I have more then one complex graphic animation in my collection where they hand blank or mask portions of the image to keep brightness even. I'd mutter something about switching to a vector based system, but I guess your stuck with Dynamics.

Steve
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

LSX and Dynamics are essentially twins..... this should look familiar
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dynamics.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	249.6 KB 
ID:	48915

The trouble is a section where a circle breaks into fragments and tumbles towards the centre using a prism effect and a sub-section of arc that I cut out. It then fades away to nothing and Bump. I am just about to try the faking-it method, but I think I'll end up with something that plays right because it's tuned to my projector rather than to how it should be able to be displayed which feels like iffy territory.

I've used pulses to hide events elsewhere shall give that a go too, good point.

Steve - I'd be interested in what you'd suggest? I'm not wedded to Dynamics... it just ticked the most boxes by far when I did my hunt through of packages/Dacs. Strongly believe it should all be vector and converted to points on the fly really. I've been prodding Robin of RayComposer as his is more vector based, but haven't heard back from him since sending him off cursing at not testing on a 64bit windows system.

yes. i know they're cousins , but there still are some differences..

LSX has an additional lissajous editor and some color modulation / intensity effects that are not in dynamics.

Quote Originally Posted by frostypaw View Post
    LSX and Dynamics are essentially twins..... this should look familiar
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dynamics.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	249.6 KB 
ID:	48915

The trouble is a section where a circle breaks into fragments and tumbles towards the centre using a prism effect and a sub-section of arc that I cut out. It then fades away to nothing and Bump. I am just about to try the faking-it method, but I think I'll end up with something that plays right because it's tuned to my projector rather than to how it should be able to be displayed which feels like iffy territory.

I've used pulses to hide events elsewhere shall give that a go too, good point.

Steve - I'd be interested in what you'd suggest? I'm not wedded to Dynamics... it just ticked the most boxes by far when I did my hunt through of packages/Dacs. Strongly believe it should all be vector and converted to points on the fly really. I've been prodding Robin of RayComposer as his is more vector based, but haven't heard back from him since sending him off cursing at not testing on a 64bit windows system.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    yes. i know they're cousins , but there still are some differences..

LSX has an additional lissajous editor and some color modulation / intensity effects that are not in dynamics.
    Yeah :/ I'd like that stuff. And the loop repeats etc (your talk was great) - it was very much a crapshoot between the two at the end. Lots of bang for buck with Dynamics though, just gotta do a little german along the way.

I seem to have found a happy medium for the moment combining using ScanLimit and fading the objects out before they rebound to full (and slow-scanning) size, and a halving of intensity of the other pattern that jumped out. Cheers for the tips Shame there's no super-cunning trick though, would be a lovely feature in scanning software if it could smooth it for you though. With the option to look ahead it could be quite cunning about it.