Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FLEM 2016 is on for March 4th and 5th!

Smile FLEM 2016 is on for March 4th and 5th!

Hey everyone;

It's still a few months away, but I wanted to start an official thread for the next Florida Laser Enthusiast's Meeting. It will be held on Friday, March 4th and Saturday, March 5th, 2016 at the Triangle Boat Club meeting hall in Tavares, Florida. T]he boat club meeting room is off of highway 441 in Tavares, just before you cross over the Dead River bridge between Tavares and Leesburg. (It's on the right if you're headed west on 441.)

I plan on getting to the venue around noon on Friday. We usually spend all afternoon setting things up. True, because it's such a small venue the setup goes fast, but we spend a lot of time talking and geeking out while hauling stuff in and hooking it up, so it always takes longer than it should! Basically I'm saying all that to say this: if you can't make it until later, don't feel like you're missing out on a whole lot. (But if you can make it early, I'd welcome the help setting up!)

Normally we finish loading-in and setting up around 6-7 PM and go out for dinner. There's a mom-and-pop Italian place just up the block (Angelo's) that is really good! If you can make it in time for this, DO SO! The food is great, and the conversation is even better.

After dinner we go back to the venue and stay until around midnight. By this time we've got music playing and lasers running, but we're also geeking out the whole time... So yeah, at this point you could say the event is definitely up and running. Most people end up getting a room at the Holiday Inn Express across the bridge (on the other side of the road) from the venue. Rooms run around a hundred per night, give or take.[/COLOR]

Saturday is the main event. We kick things off at 9 or 10 in the morning, and we often run until 2 or 3 in the morning. I hope to see Bill Benner on Saturday (schedule permitting), and some of the locals who have to work on Friday often can't make it until Saturday as well. So if you have to pick one day to attend, Saturday it is!

We will have lasers running, music playing, and lots of separate conversations going on pretty much all day. If Bill can make it I'm sure he will have cool stuff to show us. (Last year we got to see the FB4 before it was officially released!) I'll probably bring a bunch of my quad-copter stuff, and I think Chris will bring some of his gear as well. If you have something you need to fix, bring it! Chances are good that someone there can help you with it.

Like before, I'd like to pack up and CLEAN UP Saturday night. That way when I get up on Sunday I can just hit the road back to Charleston without having to return to the venue.

I will be bringing the sound system, a pair of Advanced ILDA routers, some foggers, a hazer or two, and probably a shitload of projectors, along with all my control stuff. I might even bring my truss... Not sure yet if I'll be bringing a trailer or not. (Probably will though, as I have too much stuff to otherwise fit it in the Jeep.) The venue has 50 amps of 220 available via the stove outlet in the kitchen, but no 3 phase power.

Cost is free. I've covered this one out of my pocket for the last several years. (Unlike SELEM, this venue is stupid-cheap!) I only ask that others chip in for soda, chips, and so on, and help out with the clean-up. [/COLOR]

Looking forward to seeing everyone in a couple months! Reply below if you plan to attend, and if you have any special requests be sure to state them now. That way if anyone decides they have exactly what you need, they will know to bring it.

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 12-22-2015 at 11:13.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Well.... duh. Assuming it's ok and works with your schedule, I was thinking we could do the same thing as last FLEM and I'll be in Charleston for Wednesday night. Leisurely drive down on Thursday and find some trouble to get into in Orlando Thursday night. Maybe the slingshot?
    Edit... At the present time, my thought is go light on actual working gear and perhaps bring "projects" instead. I still haven't done a thing with the routers so, I'll bring at least one so I can work with DZ on setting it up with the iPad and Beyond if I haven't tackled it during the next couple slower months. I'd like to get the Q-Beam modified and who knows what else. Might think about a Buy/Sell table too.
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 12-21-2015 at 09:40.
    PM Sent...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Well.... duh. Assuming it's ok and works with your schedule, I was thinking we could do the same thing as last FLEM and I'll be in Charleston for Wednesday night.
    You've got a standing invitation there, dude!

Actually, I was hoping to offer either you or DZ a place to stay at my Mom's house as well, but as it turns out she will have a house guest then. She might even come down to see the show at some point on Saturday...

But yeah, Wed PM at my place, and then a relaxing drive down on Thursday. We could even carpool if you want.

find some trouble to get into in Orlando Thursday night. Maybe the slingshot?
    I'm down for a ride on the slingshot! They have go-carts and lots of other stuff there too...

At the present time, my thought is go light on actual working gear and perhaps bring "projects" instead. I still haven't done a thing with the routers so, I'll bring at least one so I can work with DZ on setting it up with the iPad and Beyond if I haven't tackled it during the next couple slower months. I'd like to get the Q-Beam modified and who knows what else. Might think about a Buy/Sell table too.
    Makes sense. We should have plenty of projectors.

Regarding the Q-beam, that should be an easy fix. We should be able to do that while we are there. In fact, I've been thinking about that... Might need to offer you a trade of my working Q-beam for the 2 broken rails I have of yours. Looks like it will be a while before I can resurrect either one, and it will be a lot more work than I'm ready to tackle right now, so I'm thinking about completely re-doing them from scratch to make room for different lasers inside.

We can chat about it on the phone after the holidays.

Adam

Adam -- most of your first post in in dark gray on black -- can you fix that?

Second, I'm also driving down on Wednesday -- perhaps I can meet you both in C-town Wed evening?

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

If you go to the default color scheme, you can read it fine. I use black and 473 all the time and see it happen with a number of peoples posts. I just switch for a minute, read it and switch back. (Lower left hand corner of each page.)
    PM Sent...

Hank: That is really strange... The text that appeared in grey only shows up if you use something other than the default color scheme. When I switched to a different theme, I saw the color difference as well, but on default it is not there. The key is that I knew where the text came from, so I think I know why the color was changed by the forum software...

That text was copied from another post. I literally cut and pasted it (ctrl-c and ctrl-v). So for some strange reason, the forum decided to put "(color333333) (/color)" tags around the copied text. The really crazy part is that these color tags were NOT visible in the editor until I switched to the non-standard color theme. Once I found them, I deleted them. So now the text should appear correctly.

As to how to stop this from happening, I dunno, but it sounds like a job for our fearless janitor!

Anyway, back to getting together: That sounds like a great idea! We can all get together for dinner or something in Charleston on Wednesday, and then caravan down to Florida the next day. And then Thursday night we can do something together in Orlando if you want. (Brad already suggested the Slingshot... )

Adam

Looking forward to the event thanks for the date clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Anyway, back to getting together: That sounds like a great idea! We can all get together for dinner or something in Charleston on Wednesday, and then caravan down to Florida the next day.
    Caravaning might not work, since I'll have to stop 4 times along the route to charge, about 30 minutes each stop. So I'll get there about 2 hours behind you.

But Wednesday night sounds good! Although I may have to leave Tuesday night to make it to Charlestown at a reasonable hour.

I'll try to make it Friday night! I'll be at a wedding Saturday for the main festivities unfortunately
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post
    Caravaning might not work, since I'll have to stop 4 times along the route to charge, about 30 minutes each stop. So I'll get there about 2 hours behind you.
    Wait - you have to stop 4 times between Charleston and Tavares? It's only 365 miles! Surely that would mean just 1 stop?

But Wednesday night sounds good! Although I may have to leave Tuesday night to make it to Charlestown at a reasonable hour.
    I can be flexible. We should get on the phone and discuss this. Give me a ring on my cell: (843) 324-0735

Quote Originally Posted by rns0504 View Post
    I'll try to make it Friday night! I'll be at a wedding Saturday for the main festivities unfortunately
    Hi Ryan! It will be great to see you again! Swing by any time on Friday - we are usually there until around Midnight. If you can get in town in time to join us for dinner, call me on my cell phone (see above) and we'll give you directions to Angelo's.

Adam