Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why Pangolin?

Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly, but my understanding is that I have a Beyond license, but just one. The purpose of having tied it to a FB3 is to provide additional security for Pangolin. As I acquired additional FB3s, I should have each of these capable of initiating the program, otherwise what happened to me could happen. My show, in my mind, a pretty big deal, would never compare to a gig where thousands and thousands of dollars and the operator's reputation was at stake. This is why you have redundancy and where you can't double up, you arrive early to Macgyver it. To purchase a second license just to cover the possibility that a small FB3 fails? That's silly. You have half a dozen more of these. If you link the license to a particular comp, then I see the same risk only for a different piece of hardware.

Maybe there is another solution that I'm unaware of, but this problem happened on Christmas, and so I have to wait three days to contact Pangolin's offices to fix this. There should be a 24/7 online system that could activate another FB3, so that a license holder could operate even if this happens at an inconvenient time.

The Quick show solution was a good idea, but I did not implement it in time. Damn.

I do not know the best way to toast a FB3. One method that worked for me was plugging it in to the desktop comp along with the three others and opening the program. Within a few seconds, the smell tells you that you're ready. I didn't see any smoke and literally the smell directed us to the particular FB3. The other FB3s were all fine and will all run the Quick Show program. It had to be the one FB3 that is coupled to the license?!

Murphys law...................

Portable licenses are easy.
    This space for rent.

The problem is that if you activate anothe FB3, how do they disable the original one? Once you have a license file for an FB3, it will continue to work. What would stop an unscrupulous person using the theoretical online license generator and getting an extra one or two and then running multiple rigs?

So they offer a couple of solutions, one which uses the FB3 as the enabled hardware, the other uses the computer. You run a small app, send it to them and they generate a license for the machine.

Things can and do go wrong, computers break, DACs too, although yours is the first FB3 I've heard of. Sometimes crap happens. I can't see a solution that works for everyone other than a separate dongle, but those have their own issues like getting lost, forgotten, etc. I still think having the DAC as the dongle is preferable.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

It sounds like if you want to be able to take any of your FB3 out with Beyond, then you might do better with a machine license. Although it's a bit late now, why not explain your situation to them and see what they suggest. Although they're the bigger company they can still offer bespoke solutions. I know in my early days of multiple FB3 buying they were great with helping out with my problems.
    Frikkin Lasers

Sure, that would be OK, but my issue remains. This is a mechanical bottleneck for redundancy. Everything breaks. That's why you carry a tool box. I don't have to tell you that equipment will require you to improvise. I'm sure that projectors go down or a color goes out or a hazer fails, but these can be backed up or worked around, but if the software is unavailable...well there you are.

The fix has to be 24/7 and needs to be on line. Thinking about this just a bit, I have one solution although I'm sure there could be others. There should be a registration of existing FB3s and a registration of existing license holders. As a license holder, I should be able to link my license to any FB3, but only to one. If the paired FB3 is broken, missing of unavailable then I can change the link to another FB3, but then it will no longer work with the original. No more users than licensees will be generated. Any concern that I could share my license doesn't hold up because I can already share my linked FB3 as it is.

I'll explain this to them, but I'm raising this point because it seams like a potential problem for others that should be anticipated.

Well 'sharing' shouldn't be a problem anyway. It's exactly what a rental business would be doing. And if someone else is using it, you can't be so it's not violating any license.
    Be interesting to see what they make of your suggestion. These things often tend to be imperfect solutions due to one or more limiting criteria.
    Frikkin Lasers

Being A sound guy, I learned (the hard way of course) that every electronic part of a sound system NEEDS to be redundant. Unfortunately, even though I may only need one DSP speaker processor for a gig I need to bring two, an extra power supply for the desk, enough power amps to cover a failure, etc. I think for beyond this means buying an extra licence or having a dongle of some sort. I wasn't aware of the "machine licence". Computers seem to always fuck up. So, that option scares me too.

I think for beyond this means buying an extra licence or having a dongle of some sort.
    This seems like an expensive way to back up a small and much less expensive part.

I'm also curious how the FB3 was killed

Quote Originally Posted by FourDee View Post
    I'm also curious how the FB3 was killed
    FB3 isn't killed.. it's the most viable upgrade for quickshow users to beyond and the startech *although not the best* offers a good solution to add networking capability.
    people also say the QM2000 is killed which is nonsense..