Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why Pangolin?

That's not what he was asking PJ. He's asking how he broke the FB3
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    That's not what he was asking PJ. He's asking how he broke the FB3
    Oh misunderstanding.
    It's very uncommon but I hear with a lot of use the components can warm up a bit and fail.. To be honest with all those FB3's out there the likelyhood a component can fail for a select few users is not surprising.
    Gladly though pangolin offers replacements I'm sure.

I am now worried about an FB3 failure at a gig. Maybe time to pickup a spare.
    This space for rent.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I honestly wouldn't be "that" worried since the FB3 has been always reported to be a rock solid piece of hardware but, I fully agree with picking up a spare if you're doing paid shows. Redundancy when I'm dealing with other peoples money and their event/special day/reputation, is paramount. I've slacked off a tiny bit in that department as I used to have two computers on, open, totally set up with exactly the same zones and connected with an AB switch so you could switch in a split second but, more often I find I just have a second computer handy but not wired up. I have other lights and effects I can run for a few minutes while problem solving if one arises.
    I also have err..... "a couple" of extra projectors lying around that are easy to grab if necessary.
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    I am now worried about an FB3 failure at a gig. Maybe time to pickup a spare.
    the chance you it would happen is SO miniscule.. its so solid you do not have to be worried at all.

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    the chance you it would happen is SO miniscule.. its so solid you do not have to be worried at all.
    It just happened to Planters! You should be worried if you do shows for money. Not because FBS aren't solid. Because of Murphy's Law. At minimum, I believe an extra FB3 and qshow should be taken to gigs as back-up.

out of all users this is like maybe the 2nd time I have ever heard it so .. not really much of a worry.. would be more worried of a projector failing on you if anything.
    Nevertheless you could do that.. pretty much redundancy of everything really.

I also do shows for money but not worried at all.. more worried about a projector having a fit or anything.. that or a laptop HDD failing

Quote Originally Posted by logsquared View Post
    It just happened to Planters! You should be worried if you do shows for money. Not because FBS aren't solid. Because of Murphy's Law. At minimum, I believe an extra FB3 and qshow should be taken to gigs as back-up.
    I take a spare laptop to shows, but no spare FB3.
    This space for rent.

I have never been called minuscule before, but there you go. But, really...this did happen and if it is rare then that's good, but to have an entire show dependent on this one little piece of hardware (or a comp that is probably more likely to lock up) is still a risk. An extra license seems a little like an extra job contract. The license is not the cause of the problem, it is the "key" and these keys can break. A solution that is timely enough to save a show should be considered.

The SIP phone system I was selling the past year featured an Emergency License feature that operated like a battery.

You have 31 days emergency license facilitity, recharged with each upgrade.

Enabled, it gave access to any of the licensed features for 31 days from activation. You could stop (pause) at any time. Great for trying paid features, great in an emergency (loss of lisensing).

Pangolin could permit operation for a period after last validation, easily.
    This space for rent.