Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why Pangolin?

Default Why Pangolin?

I have used Pangolin parts for years and I have to vent. These license hurdles are a real drag. I had a show that we had planed for today, Christmas, and the FB3 that was associated with my Beyond license went pop. I have three other FB3s, but they are not associated with an active license. I probably could have gone through the hoops and activated them, but with all four projectors used together I never took that step. But, why do I need to take any steps. I purchased two of these through Pangolin directly and one as a used product from a PL member a couple of years ago. These are legitimate pieces of kit and now I'm pretty screwed on Christmas night. Why not make the license automatically active when an FB3 is plugged in.

Another gripe is these "forced updates. Some updates have provided useful features while others caused glitches for a time until they were debugged. So, I have resisted updating every time they were released. But, I have found that if I didn't, then eventually the old release would stop working unless I reset the comp's clock to make the old release run again.

This is a real pain. I assume I will be able to fix this once the weekend is over, but the show will not go on.

That's a real bummer. Sorry to hear that. I have ran into some of the issues you mentioned. Fortunately, its never happened on the night of a show, (yet). Pango has always sorted me out really quick.

I don't know of any real solution. I don't see any way that pango could protect their software if they put all the FBS's on your beyond license. Maybe a usb dongle like Madrix and others use?

For emergency purpose, why not run QS?
    QS will run with no licence, as long as there is an FB3 plugged in , right?

Its happened to me before, that is why i keep a copy of my beyond license file on a usb stick, at all times for backup.
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine

Quick show might be an answer.

I have the license in the comp and a back up. The problem is that the license is attached to a particular FB3. The software has to detect the one it is associated with or it refuses to run. I have other FB3's, but the License does me no good with these plugged in. The DOA FB3 won't activate the software.

pangolin have done the thinking so you don't have to ;-)
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Contact Pangolin and get a machine license instead.
    I have all my FB3 in a case in the lockup so I got a machine license so I don't have to bring flightcase in every fortnight just to work on content.
    It's a better way for the traveling laserist who might be just plugging into locally sourced hardware too.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Contact Pangolin and get a machine license instead
    I'll call them, first thing Monday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Contact Pangolin and get a machine license instead.
    I have all my FB3 in a case in the lockup so I got a machine license so I don't have to bring flightcase in every fortnight just to work on content.
    It's a better way for the traveling laserist who might be just plugging into locally sourced hardware too.
    An hardware change would render such a license useless.. The FB3 isn't that large a fligthcase sounds pretty exessive.. why not just make 1 removable ? Maybe I'm missing something here?
    Regarding license you should ask to have either a combined or seperate license for all those FB3 serial numbers *if you paid for those licenses to be beyond off course* that way the whole issue is gone.

Never had an issue no matter what FB3 I took with me that's on the license.

Yes you're missing something about my hardware config. 1 FB3 is small. Many in a custom case with other stuff like USB extenders is not. And where I store my gear may not be where I work on my content or be convenient to get to. Production businesses tend to be like that.
    And technically, if you have a license for all of your FB3's, you have multiple Beyond licenses, and could run multiple shows in different locations. So I can't see Pangolin dishing out licenses for multiple FB3's as this could be open to abuse.

Machine licenses have their own different set of limitations and issues but with laptops, where hardware is less likely to change, it's the better option. You still have an FB3 license if you need to run on another laptop like I did earlier this year in an emergency.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

BTW, how do you toast an FB3??
    Ive had several for many years, and never had 1 fail on me..??
    Just curious ..
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine