Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 6W RGB Laser Build - UK

The other main benefit of rolling your own is you will never be stuck in the field unable to at least attempt to fix something, nor ever need to ask where you can get your lasers serviced/fixed.
    That is the invaluable bit imho
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Just a remark; beams leave the prism pair under a small deviating angle, at least if you optimise for magnification and optical efficiency. You can compensate for this by turning the diodes accordingly.
    Just don't start drilling until you've decided on your final layout.

Default TWL-RGB-V4

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TWL-RGB-V4.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	49329Well...I put together a sketch of the RGB portion of what I would do. The emitter size on the NUBM07E and NUBM01T must be close for the PCV and PCX separation distance can be the same for either diode...so a single set of Cylindrical telescope lenses can be used for both diodes.
    The beam path's are slightly different for the Blue vs. the Green. Jors pointed out that the uncorrected Far field geometry is more divergent for the Blue than for the Green. So...The Blue propagation was given some additional travel to better equalize the FF divergence of the B/G combination. The Red's beam path have been arranged for equal propagation. A bounce mirror is employed for ease of alignment as we enter both Dichro's and the PBS. This attribute causes a very minor OP loss...but really makes the alignment much easier.
    A small waveplate optic will also be needed on one of the Oclarro beams before it enters the PBS. Good luck ! Enjoy the ride !

CDBEAM=======>
    Last edited by CDBEAM; 01-17-2016 at 16:23. Reason: Updated drawing based on Jors suggestion
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Quote Originally Posted by frostypaw View Post
    Never cyanoacrylate IIRC - I think it's the vapours it gives off condense on surfaces leaving a white bloom, deadly for optics I'd think
    Your right, I have seen that white bloom on aluminium. Thanks.....

Dupe...

Quote Originally Posted by Carl B View Post
    For attaching optics to mounts I would suggest a UV cured glue for glass to metal. I use a product called "Nano 470" and use a UV LED key ring tourch to set the glue. The manufacture claims it can also be cured with white light as well but not had much luck my self but is great with UV.

Carl
    Thanks, will look into it and the Thixotropic gel Planters mentions.

Dupe...

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post

I agree. Just back up the upper red diode.

You might consider using cylinder lens pairs rather than the two anamorphic prism pairs. They will give better power throughput and in my experience they give lower divergence as well.
    I will re sketch based on all the feedback, I have been looking at optics a lot, cylinder pairs look a lot better, but more cost. However, as CDBEAM suggests I can get away with one set for the blue and green the saving can be used for better glass.

Thanks,

Dupe...

Quote Originally Posted by CDBEAM View Post
    Yes...Go with Cylinderical lenses...for ALL diode astigmatic correction !!! If you can arrange it so the beam path is of equal length....for the blue and green propagation....as it travels from the collimation lens to the first Plano convex Cylindrical...you can use only one (1) single set of cylindrical lenses...when using the NUBM07E and the NUBM01T diode !
    Will do, bit more money, but as I can save a bit by using 1 pair for blue/green sound good. Will update the sketch to reflect this.

I have done this...and it works a trick !! The geometry of the die must be very similar on these two diodes....because....the separation distance between the cylindrical plano convex and plano concave is exactly the same for optimal correction...so....one set of Cylindricals works !! These diodes have plenty of photons out the front end....more blue than you will need...but...that is ok !!...The color of this combination ...IMNSHO....is very, very nice !!
    Great, sounds good.

And yes...to giving yourself the ability for adjustment. Adjustability is a good/bad thing....Good for as close to perfect optical alignment...but...Bad....because....that which has the ability to be adjusted....then also has the ability to be knocked out of alignment....Sigh !! Optics are a harsh Task Master !
    I can imagine going around in circles for ever, just trying to make it that little bit better. Suppose the skill comes in knowing when its good enough!

Good luck !!! Great to see another brave soul build their own rig !! The true value lies within the hands-on teaching this generates....and the eventual pride of creation !!! Keep us posted !!
    Looking forward to it, and feel like I have already got years of experience / mistakes / successes from this place already!

Note: Just use a Dichro to combine the Blue and Green first....then put the combined beam thru one set of Cylindricals....then...add the Red last....for the Red line is going to be your least amount of optical power....so....IIRC...the least powerful....should go last....for in that fashion the least powerful goes thru the least amount of optics....so....suffers less optical loss !
    Sounds sensible.

The Blue and Green units would be side by side....as in your first drawing showing the side by side Red's....just off-set to each other so as to equalize the beam path length.......then one color needs to take a 90 degree bounce...and both Blue and Green then hit the dichro...combine....and then on to the C-lenses !!
    Will update my sketch.

Oh...I still remain of the opinion that the 2mm EFL collimation lens is preferred as a lens to use on the Oclarro 63193 LD's.....and yes...the Red's stay side by side....also with an offset to equalize beam path travel...and do keep the steering/bounce mirror to align / overlay the beams in the PBS cube !!
    OK, will investigate.

Thanks,

Dupe....

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    The other main benefit of rolling your own is you will never be stuck in the field unable to at least attempt to fix something, nor ever need to ask where you can get your lasers serviced/fixed.
    That is the invaluable bit imho
    Very true... Also looks like most of the expensive hardware, glass, galvos, mirrors etc can be re-used for ever so once I make this investment the next one 'should' be much lower cost!

Dupe....

Dupe...

Well...I put together a sketch of the RGB portion of what I would do. The emitter size on the NUBM07E and NUBM01T must be close for the PCV and PCX separation distance can be the same for either diode...so a single set of Cylindrical telescope lenses can be used for both diodes.
    The beam path's are slightly different for the Blue vs. the Green. Jors pointed out that the uncorrected Far field geometry is more divergent for the Blue than for the Green. So...The Blue propagation was given some additional travel to better equalize the FF divergence of the B/G combination. The Red's beam path have been arranged for equal propagation. A bounce mirror is employed for ease of alignment as we enter both Dichro's and the PBS. This attribute causes a very minor OP loss...but really makes the alignment much easier.
    A small waveplate optic will also be needed on one of the Oclarro beams before it enters the PBS. Good luck ! Enjoy the ride !

CDBEAM=======>
    Thanks a lot for this, shows how small I can make this thing! But will leave some space for upgrades....

Thanks again,

Dupe....

If you're ordering your diodes from Jordan/DTR then see if he can send you a set of projector optics too. There are 2 very usable dichros in there with pretty good transmission and reflection rates and a pair of first surface mirrors which can all be cut down to give you loads of pieces.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.