Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 6W RGB Laser Build - UK

On the upgrades thing, I'd go as small as I can if I were you. I've never really upgraded any of mine as I've wanted more lasers. I've normally just started again, perhaps plundering parts here and there. Leaving space now is likely to just mean you build a projector bigger than it needed to be.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

OK, an update following the advice within this thread:

Laser layout V2 by Simon Redfearn, on Flickr

Base plate is 165*115mm, the second plate is 115*30 to hold the beam clean up optics. I will make this all one piece (easier to maintain alignment) eventually, plate will be 20mm aluminum. Laser mounts will be copper and designed to match the DTR copper housing. Copper does seem to have the best temp coefficient and thermal conductivity balance, better than aluminum and brass, but too expensive to make the base plate out of!!

If DTR is reading this I could do with the dimensions and tolerances for the outer dimensions of the copper section below (diameter and length), I need a transition fit to ensure good thermal and dimensional stability. I will send mail in a day or too anyway.

Diode in copper DTR by Simon Redfearn, on Flickr

Looking at optics now in more detail, any guidelines on which focal lengths work best for correction (I need 5 or 6 times reduction, so 100mm on lens 2 and 20 on lens 1 a good starting point or will this make the optics too long?), also, places to get glass, edmonds and Thor for lenses?!?

Dupe...

I vote you put a donk on it

Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Can I perhaps recommend looking at different style diode mounts. Maybe look at ones like Dave at Lasershowparts sells ('Dave' on the forum), or similar.
    There are afew people here doing similar mounts, perhaps they'll make themselves known

http://lasershowparts.com/store/inde...ewCat&catId=84
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

You're missing some scanbobs
    (It would be best to mount them all to the same sub-plate for alignment stability (not critical, but I'd strongly consider finding the space to put a scan block in there).

If you've plenty of spare change; Thorlabs are ace. // the quality is first rate + you can do the calcs to work out whichever optics you need for your design.
    If not you can experiment with eBay / China optics (an order of magnitude cheaper), where the specs are often made up or a bonus if they are supplied.

Also: @ 1/2 wave plate: if you're good + neat, you can get away without using a mount for the WP. Quite a lot of WP's have a ground flat for angle orientation; you can experiment with the optimal angle, note it and then expertly bond it to one face of the PBS cube (UV adhesive for the win! Although I tend to use a specific low outgassing epoxy for anything that's going to be sealed.

@ Copper modules: I wouldn't stress too much about an exact transitional fit; going slightly into the clearance fit + a securing grub screw using decent thermal paste works well. (If you need any form of press / force to fit your copper modules, you loose any rotational adjustments // easy swapping out of diodes at a later date if they die.
    Last edited by danielbriggs; 01-18-2016 at 13:03.
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Can I perhaps recommend looking at different style diode mounts. Maybe look at ones like Dave at Lasershowparts sells ('Dave' on the forum), or similar.
    There are afew people here doing similar mounts, perhaps they'll make themselves known

http://lasershowparts.com/store/inde...ewCat&catId=84
    Will have a look, I did wonder about this style of mount, I assume its more thermal and dimensional stable then the simple option I am looking at?

Dupe...

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    You're missing some scanbobs
    (It would be best to mount them all to the same sub-plate for alignment stability (not critical, but I'd strongly consider finding the space to put a scan block in there).

If you've plenty of spare change; Thorlabs are ace. // the quality is first rate + you can do the calcs to work out whichever optics you need for your design.
    If not you can experiment with eBay / China optics (an ordered of magnitude cheaper), where the specs are often made up or a bonus if they are supplied.

Also: @ 1/2 wave plate: if you're good + neat, you can get away without using a mount for the WP. Quite a lot of WP's have a ground flat for angle orientation; you can experiment with the optimal angle, note it and then expertly bond it to one face of the PBS cube (UV adhesive for the win! Although I tend to use a specific low outgassing epoxy for anything that's going to be sealed.

@ Copper modules: I wouldn't stress too much about an exact transitional fit; going slightly into the clearance fit + a securing grub screw using decent thermal paste works well. (If you need any form of press / force to fit your copper modules, you loose any rotational adjustments // easy swapping out of diodes at a later date if they die.
    OK, thanks for the tips, Thorlabs do look good! Scanblock is on the radar, but trying to get everything else understood first.

Dupe...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Donk 3.jpg 
Views:	480 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	49331
    Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    I vote you put a donk on it

Oh YEA !!! Absolutely.... " Po Ah Donk Ah Et " Andy is spot on !!! Brilliant !!! See pic of the " Donk Machine" ....and I believe the
    "Donk" unit is best exemplified by the Red Trumpet bit'o'kit....atop the " Donk Machine " But....THAT is just the simple minded interpretation of a Damn Yankee !!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!! Just Perfect !!!
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

lol CDbeam you're too much. I still got that 5w 660nm cmount. You think he would be interested in buying that?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    lol CDbeam you're too much. I still got that 5w 660nm cmount. You think he would be interested in buying that?
    Why yes....I AM toooo much.....but that video is just perfect !!! And...it was a " Moral Imperative" to respond to such genius !! PM sent re the 5W C-mount. CDBeam=======>
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !