Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help converting ILDA line of text into XY and TTL analog signals for analog laser

Default Help converting ILDA line of text into XY and TTL analog signals for analog laser

Greetings all,

I'm new to photonlexicon and look forward to learning a lot about computer control and laser software this year.

I currently have an analog laser galvo system with X, Y, and TTL inputs on 1/4'' jacks. It requires +/-5V signals to function properly. Up until now I've recorded improvisations with my synthesizer with an inexpensive consumer recording device, and then i play the edited audio files off my phone into a little gain/5v limiter box that boosts my recordings up to the appropriate levels my galvo system requires and it works very well. I'm in the process of building an ILDA RGB laser galvo system, but it's not finished yet.

I wanted to project a single line of text (three words) on the side of a building at an arts event next week. I was hoping that someone on this forum could help me achieve this goal by sending me a 1 second audio file that contains the X, Y, and TTL signal that creates the words. I could pay via paypal for your efforts. I have an Etherdream DAC and some Pangolin software but my ILDA laser is not ready yet, so I'm hoping for a quick workaround solution in the analog domain for this particular gig.

Any help is much appreciated!

If there is software available that can turn a simple graphic or text into audio instead of ILDA, that would also do the trick!

Very new to this, my apologies if these posts are not in the right section.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by maxcady View Post
    If there is software available that can turn a simple graphic or text into audio instead of ILDA, that would also do the trick!

Very new to this, my apologies if these posts are not in the right section.
    Laserboy will do it. ping james. i'm sure he can get you set up and going
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Saw your message from the ilda list linking to this thread.
    As said above by Swamidog. Laserboy will do it.
    It's available for download here: http://laserboy.org/code/LaserBoy_2015_11_21.zip
    If james isn't available to help you let me know.
    To summerize:

1. Put ilda files in the ilda folder
    2. Click laserboy.bat to run
    3. Press I on your keyboard to open an ilda file (input)
    4. Press 1 to select ild
    5. Type in the ilda filename with the extension.. if it's not in the list you might have forgotten to put the ilda file in there
    6. Press 1 to replace frame set
    7. Press tab on your keyboard
    8. Press F on your keyboard to change the framerate
    9. Type in 30 for 30fps
    10. Press O to output
    11. Press 3 on your keyboard to output wav
    12. Press 4 for wave of all frames at 30fps

There might be timing issues.. and this is dependant if you select optimized or unuptimized so try the output options available to get the timing right.
    It's not that difficult to convert to wav. Just put your ilda files in the ilda folder and press O

what a nice way to begin photonlexicon =]

thank you swami and pj so much.

i have a mac though.. is laserboy for PC only?

i've never used a PC before in my life, but if it's something I'll need for stuff like this, perhaps someone could suggest a good one for me to buy for strictly laser stuff. i'm not sure how intense laser software can be, so i'm not sure if i can just pick up a 200 dollar PC on craigslist and be good, or if i should get a better one.

i know i'll definitely want to use LSX, is that PC only as well?

Laserboy is cross platform.
    I never ran it on a mac though as I'm a windows user.
    You can use bootcamp if you have enough ram to run windows on it.

You will need windows to run most laser software on the market anyway.
    LSX is pc only.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by maxcady View Post
    what a nice way to begin photonlexicon =]

thank you swami and pj so much.

i have a mac though.. is laserboy for PC only?

i've never used a PC before in my life, but if it's something I'll need for stuff like this, perhaps someone could suggest a good one for me to buy for strictly laser stuff. i'm not sure how intense laser software can be, so i'm not sure if i can just pick up a 200 dollar PC on craigslist and be good, or if i should get a better one.

i know i'll definitely want to use LSX, is that PC only as well?
    LSX runs great in VM on mac. I use it all the time on my retina macbook pro. there is a port of laserboy that works under OSX. i have run it on my mac.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Hi maxcady.

I do not have a Mac, but there is some good howto out there.

http://laserboy.org/forum/index.php?topic=626.0
    http://laserboy.org/forum/index.php?topic=555.0

These links might be useful toward getting stuff done in LaserBoy.

http://laserboy.org/forum/index.php?topic=551.0
    http://laserboy.org/forum/index.php?...sg6398#msg6398

If you have any questions about LaserBoy not covered in those threads, let me know!

BTW, if you are using an audio device that is DC Decoupled (if you don't know, then you are) you might not get the results you're looking for.

Computer audio devices are almost always capacitor decoupled. This makes it impossible for the analog output to set and hold a constant voltage (other than zero) for some period of time. For audio, this is a good thing. DC offsets have no place in audio signals. But for laser signals it's a bad thing.

For this reason, there is a well documented method of modifying a sound device and even a kit to do the voltage correction and gain.

http://laserboy.org/forum/index.php?topic=561.0
    http://laserboy.org/forum/index.php?topic=619.0

James.
    Last edited by james; 01-28-2016 at 15:33.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

There are some ready made audio files I made in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    LSX runs great in VM on mac. I use it all the time on my retina macbook pro. there is a port of laserboy that works under OSX. i have run it on my mac.
    so bootcamp isn't necessary for LSX on my retina macbook pro? using virtual machine will be good enough?