Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: Dichro for mixing 445 + 462nm

OK ...no sweat for time being, please let me know via PM as soon as you have tracking info or whatever.

Cheers

mine arrived today! Thanks!

Now I need to order some lasers and hassle dave for optics..
    Now proudly stocking and offering the best deals on laser-wave

www.lasershowparts.com
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/Lasershow-Parts

If I were to get one which diodes would you recommend to try to mix?

Quote Originally Posted by aijii View Post
    mine arrived today! Thanks!

Nice to hear they got safe to AUS, and u're welcome!

Now I need to order some lasers and hassle dave for optics..
    Quote Originally Posted by syrah View Post
    If I were to get one which diodes would you recommend to try to mix?
    It depends mainly on what do you want : best beam quality or as much power as you can ?

What I did for example to keep a low divergence with a small beam diameter, is to couple one quad diode module of 5.5W 462nm with another quad diode module of 6W 445nm...

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk View Post
    It depends mainly on what do you want : best beam quality or as much power as you can ?

What I did for example to keep a low divergence with a small beam diameter, is to couple one quad diode module of 5.5W 462nm with another quad diode module of 6W 445nm...
    we would we get these quad 445 and 462 modules?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    were would we get these quad 445 and 462 modules?
    Personnaly I use the blue modules from Live-Lasersystems (BTW, it's the guy who sent you the dichros ) as they got the best possible beam specs out of diode modules for a reasonnable price, but there is a few interesting manufacturers out there...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pelican_blue.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	50503

Quote Originally Posted by sbk View Post
    Do the quad diodes have a

vertical arrangement of the beams before correction or

horizontal arrangement?

If its the former, I think the beams would be too fat, if its the latter, how is that corrected? I think with cylindricals you need the beams in the middle, not the edges of the lens.

Horizontal arrangement. I believe it's cylindrical lenses but you can ask the manufacturer to be sure

Quote Originally Posted by syrah View Post
    Do the quad diodes have a

vertical arrangement of the beams before correction or

horizontal arrangement?

If its the former, I think the beams would be too fat, if its the latter, how is that corrected? I think with cylindricals you need the beams in the middle, not the edges of the lens.

I don't think it will be right to ask the manufacturer, I know you can open them up and check if you have them but it might still be a design secret he wouldn't want to just teach everyone.

Are they polarized btw?

@ " Horizontal arrangement. I believe it's cylindrical lenses"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thinking2.gif 
Views:	75 
Size:	2.3 KB 
ID:	50613....sounds unlikely (but possible) usually, a horizontal knife edge arrangement will use prisms and almost always, when PBS is being used (highly likely in this case), unless Phil has decided to sell polarised add on modules without mentioning it to his clients...(a big selling point would be missed here).

Reasoning:
    If you knife edge horizontally, the beam is flat and wide which means unless you add an unnecessary reflection/mirror (not usually recommended unless strictly obligatory for space reasons) to the path of the reflected input into the PBS, the distance from collimator to cyl lens will be different for each side of said beam (cos its WIDE) and gets wider with every beam you add. This effectively eliminates any chance of getting a perfect focus in the farfield, and/or, will increase losses if you use a tight spatial filter.
    (always assuming here that you don't mix upwards into the PBS)

I think anyway that Phil would prefer you to ask him directly (that way he can say no if he wants to), rather than getting one of his clients (who is probably a friend) to open the lid on a new (virgin/squeaky clean/spotless) set of optics. What's more, I think he relies more on his skill and knowledge, rather than "secrets" to keep himself in business. I am fairly sure, that if you asked him, he would tell you.

Knowing how someone apparently did something, will not ensure that you can achieve the same results by copying them.
    There is invariably a bit more to it than meets the eye....try painting a Rembrandt,Goya or a VanGogh or even get a machine to do it...it just aint the same!

However I have to admit, recognising where any possible errors are hiding, is always helpful when trying to design/build something.

Cheers
    Last edited by catalanjo; 08-22-2016 at 09:49.