Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: first laser project - soundcard DAC trouble?

It is in the Windows sound system settings. With the 7.1 USB sound device plugged in, look into your sound settings for speaker arrangement and make sure it is set to 7.1 (8 individual speakers). Also make sure the driver for the device is set for 8 channels of output. Then readjust the correction amp.

http://laserboy.org/forum/index.php?...sg6603#msg6603

James.
    Last edited by james; 04-06-2016 at 11:24.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

On the scope, I still see a similar garbled image. the decoupling caps have all been removed. The windows sound settings are set for 7.1, all enhancements disabled, all full range boxes checked (these are all of the settings in the tutorials for setting up the c-media sound card)

The driver is the windows driver that is automatically installed when you plug in the sounds card. Is there a way to enter the device driver in order to set it for 8 channel output? As far as I can see, there is no applet for the driver other than the windows sound settings. Thanks everyone for all of you help with this!

Hmmmm. I run mine on an old XP laptop. I had to install the driver to make it work. I get a little white square with a blue musical note in it in my system tray when the device is plugged in. That leads me to the device driver settings.

By default, if I do nothing to the device settings it is set for headphone output (stereo). And it will mix down all the channels into stereo, which is what you are getting.

Have you tried loading the device driver that came with it?

BTW, Do you have Spider Player to play multi-channel waves?

James.
    Last edited by james; 04-06-2016 at 11:45.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

I seem to remember there being multiple Windows audio drivers available. Dean Hammond had a post about it somewhere but I can't recall where. I think I had to uninstall the sound card driver and then do a manual install from device manager and select the correct one. But, that was a long time ago and I don't run Windows 7 anymore so I have no way of checking.

I think this is what you are referring to:

http://laserboy.org/forum/index.php?...sg5820#msg5820
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

When I was first fiddling with the driver difficulties I tried several versions of the c-media driver. The one that came with the sound card would play the laser channels through the audio channels on the laptop no matter how i had is set. once I uninstalled that and let windows install it's driver I was able to play a spaghetti show with the music track playing correctly through the laptop speakers and the laser channels on the sound card, except for this issue with the colors and xy getting mixed together. I posted on the laserboy forum to see if anyone had any updated info for the c-media driver for windows 7. It looks like there is evidence on the web of people getting it to work on windows 7, but the posts are very old and it's been difficult for me to understand some of them as they were written in broken english.

If anyone knows if the windows 7 driver will accept the cm106.ini file that folks are using with XP, I'm guessing that will take of this. I'm just not sure where to put it or if it will even apply.

Quote Originally Posted by daderaide View Post
    On the scope, I still see a similar garbled image. the decoupling caps have all been removed.
    Do you mean the decoupling caps or the coupling caps? Removing the decoupling caps will not achieve anything useful!

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    I think this is what you are referring to:

http://laserboy.org/forum/index.php?...sg5820#msg5820
    Yes, that is it. I can confirm that worked for me.

This might be a dumb question, but... Do you have access to an XP machine? You could install the driver there and make sure you have your LaserBoy DAC built and adjusted correctly before you worry about Windows 7 drivers.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    Yes, that is it. I can confirm that worked for me.
    Dean is pretty amazing when it comes to trouble shooting complex systems.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials