Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: first laser project - soundcard DAC trouble?

I removed them for easier access to the sold pads is all. When I play the test wav from the site linked above i get a beautiful circle! I have seen that page before and fololowed it's instructions but hadn't tried the wav instead of using spaghetti. I guess this means that I can't use spaghetti?

Unfortunately I don't have an XP machine available. windows 7 is the oldest thing i could find lol. I'm willing to buy a different sound card if that's the right answer. It seemed like the c-media chip sound cards were the standard nowadays.

You shouldn't use Spaghetti since your license purchase was refunded.

I seriously doubt that you will find a USB 7.1 sound device that is DC mod-able that isn't based on the CM6206.

BTW there is a Windows 8 driver for the CM6206 on the C-Media website.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    You shouldn't use Spaghetti since your license purchase was refunded.
    I guess that leaves you with LaserBoy and Spider Player.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

One thing that I have noticed while playing these test wavs is that I get very different results from the different circles. The 6 channel one is very small. The 8 channel one is bigger but both are centered in the lower right on the scan area. The "stereocircle" file gives me a nice large circle that takes up the full range on the scan area. Is this an indicator of my problem? shouldn't they all be the same since they should all be using channel 1 and 2 for x and y?

JohnYayas I just saw that you refunded my purchase and I'm confused why you did that.

I will quote myself: "I'd like to know if this program is being supported currently and if not, I'd like to return my license for a refund as the software is not usable as advertised."

you replied that the software was still supported. I only wanted a refund if it wasn't supported, so I'm not sure why you would refund my money.

Either way, i was certainly expecting more dialogue before being issued a refund. I would obviously like to get this working. If it doesn't work for me, then by all means, i would appreciate a refund. How should i go about sending you the money back?

If Dean made the circles, then there is probably no blank spot where they begin or end.

So your color channels are just flat, full-on positive DC with no glitches.

If you make a circle wave in LaserBoy or you use some other method of converting an ILDA file of a circle into a sound signal, then you will have at least one blank spot at the end of every circle scan.

This blank point will be represented in your color channels as at least one sample of ZERO volts, while the on or lit section of the wave will be full on positive volts.

This will glitch the hell out of your scanners if you mix it.

Mixing a flat DC signal with the scanner signals will just move the whole circle intact.

James.
    Last edited by james; 04-06-2016 at 12:39.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by daderaide View Post
    I removed them for easier access to the sold pads is all. When I play the test wav from the site linked above i get a beautiful circle! I have seen that page before and fololowed it's instructions but hadn't tried the wav instead of using spaghetti. I guess this means that I can't use spaghetti?
    Again, did you remove the decoupling caps or the coupling caps? There's a very big difference in their purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by NobleGas View Post
    Again, did you remove the decoupling caps or the coupling caps? There's a very big difference in their purpose.
    I have modified countless sound cards of different makes and I have no idea of what you are writing about.

There are DC DE-coupling caps that block the positive DC voltages found on direct from DAC signals before the output jacks.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials