Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: SELEM 10 - August 9th through the 14th, 2016 - Sign up now!

Quote Originally Posted by telmnstr View Post
    Just a heads up, the LSO from ILDA is LSO for lasers used for shows . It's not a LSO that would cover industrial / manufacturing / research type environments AFAIK.
    So what you are saying is it really should have a different acronym? LSSO (Laser Show Safety Officer)

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Also, it is definitely geared towards laser light shows. If you need the LSO certification for a job that uses industrial or medical lasers, this course might be a good primer for you, but it is NOT designed to meet all of the requirements for industrial or medical applications. So if you want to be an industrial laser LSO, you'll still want to take one of the courses offered by Coherent or others. But this class will prepare you quite well for one of those other classes.
    Are there two different tests? A test is a test is a test. If I am tested with the test that is required for a certification regardless of what was taught in the class wouldn't that certify me. I guess maybe you are saying that Greg is not qualified to administer that test that I would need to take?

Does this mean that if you have LSO from Coherent that you could not be LSO for a laser show? Or is it like all Coherent trained LSO can do everything but SELEM trained LSO are just a sub set? Just trying to understand the difference.

Also just to be clear we only have like 5 lasers onsite at NGS and one of them is class 3B one class 4 lasers. They are mainly used for testing crystals for measurement purposes. We need an LSO on site mainly to keep track of where the lasers are being used and to make sure the correct glasses are available for protection. I would be the backup for our main EH&S guy if NGS goes for this idea. But mainly this is my way of attending a class I am interested in for free. So what will the certificate say if you pass the test? Does it mention laser shows specifically or does it say Laser safety officer certified?
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

The certificate says:
    Laser Safety Officer For US Laser Light Shows and Displays
    Certificate of Completion
    earned by
    Your name
    It does primarily concern itself with just visible lasers although it touches on IR and UV and is really more about shows both indoors and out. I suspect a medical/industrial laser safety training class is much more detailed and rigorous with not a lot of attention paid to lasers for the entertainment industry. Just as there are safety considerations for shows that you need to know such as projectors being 3 meters higher than the highest point at which a person could stand, there are bound to be safety considerations NASA needs to know about when using a 400 watt pulsed IR laser that you don't so hence the difference in the type of course. Driving is driving but, a high school Drivers Ed class is different from a trucking companies CDL class. Similar analogy.
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 04-14-2016 at 07:49.
    PM Sent...

The title of "Laser Safety Officer" is not well defined. In most jurisdictions, the Laser Safety Officer is the LSO because he or she says so. True, there are several classes that will provide you with a certificate, but not all LSOs have actually attended such classes. Most of the time the LSO title is simply assigned to someone due to their age and experience.

That being said, the ILDA class is very affordable compared to the alternatives, and it does cover the basics of laser eye safety (just as an industrial class would), so it serves the basic purpose. I think an industrial class would get into the exposure math at an even deeper level than the ILDA class does, and it might also cover some cross-over topics that are unique to industry (like OSHA Lockout-tagout, Hazcom, and so forth).

In the end, I would pitch the idea to your boss and see what he says...

Adam

Lightbulb fwiw..

Quite certain I won't be able to attend, this year (..just Way, way, way too-many kettles on the boil, etc.. ) but.. Perhaps I can be there, 'in-spirit and/or embroidery'..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SELEM_X_v1b_jr.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	49858 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SELEM_X_v2b_jr.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	49859 ...Any thoughts?

..I've had a huge-load of custom art / renders etc, to crank out these past few days for shows coming-up, and, well.. Seeing this is 'Year 10', these couple designs just kinda came to mind, so whilst I was doodling, I noodled these out for the cause, fwiw..

I Did have another design, that was more focused on using the 'X' (for '10'), superimposed in various-ways in-with / over the L, in-center, and, even though it 'balanced' very nice, visually, well.. I just could Not find any way to Not 'make it work in the Wrong-way', and.. I figured it would prolly be best for everyone if you did not have an Event-representing item, that made your Spouses / GFs, etc, say '..Ok, you wanna tell me just what the HELL is 'SEXLEM', and Why were You There???' ..Anyhoo, I felt it best to abandon that path, so.. Here's the 'runners-up'..

..Again, just fwiw.. If these should become 'desired candidates' for the Shirts, just lemme know, and I can send the Hi-Res vector-art / JPG, whatever.. Hope it helps..

cheers..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

I like parts of those logos, Jon, but they're not there yet. I do agree that anything resembling "SEXLEM" (or worse: SEX'EM) would be poorly received though!

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by discothefunkyhippo View Post
    ...and you might even get a nifty pin!

Attachment 49789

-Sal
    I never got one of those, although I am not surprised lol

anyway whoever is thinking about taking the LSO class, do it, it's worth it

hell I was thinking of taking it again just as a refresher

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    I never got one of those, although I am not surprised lol

anyway whoever is thinking about taking the LSO class, do it, it's worth it

hell I was thinking of taking it again just as a refresher
    i probably have some extra pins if you need one.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    i probably have some extra pins if you need one.
    Are you sure the pins serial #s are not tied to your ILDA awards?

-Sal

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

good point!

Quote Originally Posted by discothefunkyhippo View Post
    Are you sure the pins serial #s are not tied to your ILDA awards?

-Sal

I forgot to post this earlier, but here's the information on the Holiday Inn Express group rate:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HIE room rates 2016.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	614.7 KB 
ID:	49922

Adam