Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: problem with ishow 1.4 and laserworld cs 1000

Default problem with ishow 1.4 and laserworld cs 1000

Hello new to lasers and ran into a problem.
    Purchased a cs 1000 from Laserworld and a ishow usb to ilda interface.
    on an XP laptop the interface is recognized as usb0 but nothing else shows up.
    Laserworld says the ishow software is too old to recognize the cs 1000
    Cant find ishow 2.3 anywhere all the guy from ebay says is he has lasers that work with it .

Pangolin I was informed of but had sticker shock paying 580 dollars for a interface when the laser was 900.

Asking for your advice and input:
    What low/medium cost interface works with the CS 1000.
    Is there a way to make this interface work
    What would you use for small to medium size clubs/bars (DJ work)
    Thanks for your time

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I don't have time to give you a complete answer but, what I will tell you is sadly you wasted your money on iShow. It is basically viewed as garbage and I can't tell you one person who has ever had success with it. Very crash prone. People have issues getting it to work with certain operating systems., etc. There are a number of alternatives that I'm sure people will chime in with and if I have time, I'll come back to the thread but, again, don't frustrate yourself with trying to get iShow to work and accept the fact you lost the $80 or $100 or whatever it is, and move on. I realize the pain of spending $900 on a projector and then hearing you need to spend $595 to control it with Pangolin's Quickshow but... the first lesson about lasers is, none of this stuff is cheap. Boats, drugs and women are far cheaper.
    PM Sent...

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Laserworld says the ishow software is too old to recognize the cs 1000
    Laserworld doesn't know what they're talking about. The connection between the iShow board and the laser is purely analog, there's nothing to be "recognised". The connection between the computer and the iShow controller though is a whole different story. iShow doesn't work with 64 bit operating systems so that's probably your issue.

Pangolin Quickshow would be the best option for your application, but Pangolin is indeed quite expensive. A good DAC will cost you at least $200 and that's excluding software. There are cheaper options available than Pangolin, but the question becomes then how much time you are willing to spend on it.

If you just want to display some text and a couple animations you could also go with a DMX controlled SD card projector.

Since you mention dollars you are probably in the US. Please read up on regulations. I don't know about your Laserworld, but cheaper projectors (the SD card kind) tend to be illegal.

Thanks for the quick although not quite what I wanted to hear replys.
    I have a few more questions the cs-1000rgb has a bank of 10 switches for dmx/auto/sound activated options but nothing to put it in to ilda mode except connecting a cable is a terminator required on the out similar to the DMX cable??
    The laptop I'm using is 32 bit XP I learned a long time ago to keep an XP PC on hand, I get the power and USB leds to light up shame it does not have an indicator on the ilda side. I'm thinking bad cable ??
    The PC/Software does recognize the DAC but nothing else I only have the one ilda device to connect so unless I can test with a multimeter for output on the cable I have to assume the laser is not the problem???
    Thanks again for your replies

No, that is simply an ILDA pass through to go to another projector. It does not require a terminator.
    I would suspect the laser is fine and the weak link is the iShow. Yes, I know it's not what you want to hear. But, it"s a lesson we've all had to learn. There are a number of solutions out there for being able to run your laser. Every one has pro's, con's and trade offs. There are some in this hobby that relish the idea of doing everything themselves and engineering solutions with something as simple as a $30 sound card and free or nearly free software. There are those that have their preferred software that makes sense to them and might be a couple hundred dollars. To others it may be totally Greek. A few forum members have created some very capable software but you will still need a DAC. Even Laserworld has their own DAC and software for roughly $400. I got into the game with a used Moncha DAC from a company called Showtacle and it was fine for a few months when the realization came that I needed to go with Pangolin.
    The thing about Quickshow and why a majority say that's what you need to go with is that for a beginner it is extremely easy to learn and use and, does many things very, very well. Yes, some cheaper software may be better in some areas. But, for widespread user base , customer support, wealth of content for you to play, wide range of features and everything else, it's honestly a steal for what it costs. And... And I say this to everyone, if after six months you decide this isn't for you, throw it on eBay or on here and you'll likely get back most of what you paid for it in the first place. Download the demo and play with it. You'll be amazed. No... I don't work for Pangolin.
    PM Sent...

Spaghetti works with iShow DAC: $89
    Riya Lite DAC : $100

Or why not have both?

Or Spaghetti and Riya Lite together for $180.

Contact me for either of these deals.

Question Gary.... You mentioned above that Spaghetti (a good choice atmtech, by the way) works with the iShow DAC. I'm not certain I was aware of that. Does it work well? Have you discovered any limitations? I don't know if the main issues with iShow are the DAC or, the software itself or, a little bit of both. I thought there was an issue with the DAC having certain limitations - number of bits or something like that.
    PM Sent...

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Question Gary.... You mentioned above that Spaghetti (a good choice atmtech, by the way) works with the iShow DAC. I'm not certain I was aware of that. Does it work well? Have you discovered any limitations? I don't know if the main issues with iShow are the DAC or, the software itself or, a little bit of both. I thought there was an issue with the DAC having certain limitations - number of bits or something like that.
    The DAC only has 8 bit XY resolution, where most other DACs have 12 bit. The only implication of this is that the laser image will be in a lower resolution as 2^8 = 256 so it can only reach 256 steps between full left and full right (and top/bottom).

This is completely unrelated to it being compatible with 64 bit OS. The images are going to be of less quality than with another DAC, but it's cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    The DAC only has 8 bit XY resolution, where most other DACs have 12 bit. The only implication of this is that the laser image will be in a lower resolution as 2^8 = 256 so it can only reach 256 steps between full left and full right (and top/bottom).

This is completely unrelated to it being compatible with 64 bit OS. The images are going to be of less quality than with another DAC, but it's cheaper.
    Thank You for this bit of info, sure wish I'd found this forum first.
    On top of all the other problems inferior resolution takes the cake sometimes you get what you pay for in this case I didn't even get that although the case looks nice and I have an extra USB cable and a 12 volt wall wart, if I cant get a return from the EBAY seller..

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Spaghetti works a lot better with the iShow 1.4 DAC than iShow software does.