View Poll Results: Which date(s) and which location would you prefer for SELEM 2007?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer Saturday, July 28th only at the Arts and Science center auditorium in Hickory, NC

0 0%
  • I prefer Saturday, Aug 11th and Sunday, Aug 12th at the PARI observatory near Brevard, NC

1 10.00%
  • I prefer Saturday, Aug 18th and Sunday, Aug 19th at the PARI observatory near Brevard, NC

4 40.00%
  • I'm not going; North Carolina is too far to travel for me

4 40.00%
  • I'm not going; Summertime is too busy and I can't get the time off

1 10.00%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who is coming and where to go?

Exclamation Who is coming and where to go?

Ok people, I need to know who is planning on attending SELEM this summer. If we don't have at least 10 people, the Pisgah Astronomical Research Institue (PARI) is out of the question. They don't deal with really small groups.

Likewise, if we go with the Catawba Valley Arts and Science Center (in Hickory, NC), we're looking at between $250 and $300, so once again we'd want at least 8-10 people so the cost can be spread around a bit.

So please check your calenders and see which dates (and locations) work for you. If you're thinking of flying in to the area and renting a car to get to the venue, Hickory is about an hour's drive from the airport in Charlotte, NC, and about an hour and 15 minutes from the Winston-Salem area in NC. On the other hand, PARI is about a 45 minute drive from the Ashville airport in NC, and about a 90 minute drive from the Greenville / Spartanburg airport in SC. Lodging is available on-site at PARI, or you can drive into Brevard and find a motel. Hickory has plenty of lodging...

Either way though, if you are interested in attending SELEM, *VOTE NOW* for your choice of date and location. Time is getting short - and if we don't have enough people we'll need to postpone it again. (I'd really rather not have to do that!) So far I know that Steve-o and Mecheng3 are interested for sure, plus me of course! Beyond that I don't have a clue... (How about it, SPEC? Dreambeamz? Any others?) If you can make it, please place your vote above and post your details below.

I need to firm things up by early next week if I'm to have any chance at all at making this happen this summer.

Adam

I personally cast my vote on HKY - Hickory. They have a nice airpark that can handle small commuter aircraft and have some flights daily. It is an easy venue to reach via air of highway. If you want I have the fixed base operator here somewhere if you need it to find charter flight schedule...Statesville also has a great facility. There is my casting. I need to get my projector back together......chat soon
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Smile

Well, unfortunately I just found out that the arts and science center in Hickory has a problem with us using fog machines and/or hazers. They are concerned that it will set off their fire alarm. (Dang!)

The Pisgah Astronomical Research Institute was pretty sure that fog machines weren't a problem. Plus they have 3 phase power. So right now, they're in the lead as far as facility features go.

I still haven't gotten a lot of responses from people about who can come and when they'd like to attend. Right now I think the only ones that are for sure interested in attending are me, Mecheng3, Steve-O, Astroguy, and Dreambeamz. Dates are either the 11th and 12 of August, or the 18th and 19th of August, with the later date being preferable right now.

Come on people! We need more participation!

Adam

I have sent an e-mail to 2 other people in the area that have and use lasers in a show capacity. I hope that they will at least check out the invitation to PL. It may just bring a few more out to get involved. I will plan and show up for sure one day...saturday most likely. Whenever it is > count on me being there. Hopefully others will try to make the trip as well. I know it will be a great event!
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Looks loke the 18-19th at PARI is ahead in the polls-- if we can just get a few more peops interestd

Agreed. 18th and 19th seems to be the best time. I spoke with Dave at PARI yesterday and he confirmed that fog machines are not going to pose any problems. So as long as we get 10 people or more, we're golden.

Adam

clandestiny is offline Eleventy-Billion Watt Ar/Kr >:)
    somewhere between orlando and san antonio

adam, got your message, unfortunately i dont have time to surface for air in august. i cant make it. - looks like it is comming together well for you though-
    go big or go home

So we need 10 people..mmm.. avertisement helps I've heard .
    Maybe we could start a thread with a catchy title.
    Have to think on it...

How about something like this--
    (Please check my spelling and fact accuracy b4 I post this
    Last edited by steve-o; 06-25-2007 at 05:23. Reason: added stuff

PhotonLexicon+PARI Observetory
    =FUN!!!
    Located atop of the beautiful mountainous terrain of North Carolina this previously NASA owned tracking station now Observitory is comprised of telescopes, state of the art equipment, food and accomodations.
    Grab your lasers and come on!!! We'll have a show and a half!
    But hurry-they're booking up soon.
    Included are tours including the telescopes!

Here's a live feed from their webcam!>
    http://campus.pari.edu/paricams/Main...in_campus.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pariwebcam6.jpeg  

3727483239.jpeg  

Yeah a webcam
    Don't forget to do a laser show that we can see from the webcam, for the people who can't come at the SELEM (kidding)