Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Don't you mean 'because of'?
    No you don't! Boris was misleading. Jo Cox was killed by a nut who does not represent Brexit. Mateen does not represent Hillary supporters because he was a Hillary supporter.

I suspect it would encourage more people to turn out on important matters, but the key thing is that the terms are set BEFORE the vote.
    The government does not have the duty to encourage and if the government, that wishes the status quo to prevail, then a sufficiently high threshold could place a very unfair burden on the side looking for change. This is a dangerous precedent.

And yes, it is ridiculous. The constitution is not voluntary. It can be changed, but its application can not be opted out of (unless maybe you live in a no go zone and Sharia law prevails) Membership in a club or a union is (yes, even a union-you can choose what you do for a living).

Let's stop going off on tangents.

We are coming at this momentous event from very different points of view. Some posts ago I think you said that your fiancee was reconsidering living in Britain based on the potential tightening of its immigration policy. Did I understand this correctly? If Brexit stands and the UK establishes immigration laws that are restrictive what would be the downside from her point of view?

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Did you not read my previous comment? I never suggested either of those.

However, it doesn't stop the fact that the UN consider our CURRENT position to be in breach of human rights - before we even get into further austerity cuts. It has nothing to do with being in/not in the EU being able to influence the UN, but everything to do with the EFFECTS of us being in/not in the EU.
    I think you're still missing the point. Being in the EU didn't stop austerity, so in or out has no real bearing on that as EU law didn't stop austerity or protect UK citizens from having their Human Rights Breached.

As for further austerity, read between the lines of what's going on here. The currency fell but the traders were up all night speculating on it. Some made huge losses as they thought remain was a foregone conclusion. Is it any surprise therefore that the currency fell when people were gambling with it and losing to the tune of trillions?

Interestingly enough, today, the FTSE 100 has climbed back to a position above where it was before Brexit and so did the pound. Interesting for a country supposedly on it's knees....

@ "Interestingly enough, today, the FTSE 100 has climbed back to a position above where it was before Brexit and so did the pound."
    Something odd about this statement !

23 June 2016 £1 = €1.3047
    https://www.oanda.com/currency/live-exchange-rates/
    29 June 2016 £1 = €1.2086

Where did you get your data from?

Or were you referring to a pound of spuds?

Cheers
    Last edited by catalanjo; 06-29-2016 at 11:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Planters
    No you don't! Boris was misleading.
    Absolutely, which we found out AFTER the event. So how you can say it was despite the bus is beyond me. People clearly voted in part BECAUSE of the bus and the false promises.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekusen
    Please post one if you find it. Conditions for a revote are never decided after the results as far as I'm aware
    I wish I bloody could find it! It was a list of marginal outcomes in referenda, by percentage margin, and an indication of how many ended up being re-voted on. I've no idea if any conditions at all were set for the re-votes, but they happened that way nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Neskusen
    Again it sounds condescending towards a proportion of the demos to assume they voted for such ridiculous reasons.
    Sorry, I make no assumptions, I'm simply commenting on details of people who are in the news, who admit to these being the reasons they would change their minds given the chance again. Its even got a name, Bregret, I believe.
    So whilst you may find the idea condescending (and obviously it doesn't apply to a large proportion of the voters) there are those out there, that it does apply to, and not just me being condescending.

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=bregretters

Quote Originally Posted by Planters
    Some posts ago I think you said that your fiancee was reconsidering living in Britain based on the potential tightening of its immigration policy. Did I understand this correctly? If Brexit stands and the UK establishes immigration laws that are restrictive what would be the downside from her point of view?
    Well, we simply don't know what the effects might be. Certainly if we have to naturalise her, its going to cost some money, but that remains to be seen. From her perspective, its been the sense of unwelcomeness that has filled this country of late. The 'Go back home Johnny foreigner' rhetoric. Being from Europe, and having spent a number of years in London, she has a number of friends who are also Europena, but non-UK citizens (she first worked for IBM, then Dell in Scotland, who employ a lot of Europeans and Scandinavians) and her feelings are being reflected in what they're sensing too.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitelight
    I think you're still missing the point. Being in the EU didn't stop austerity, so in or out has no real bearing on that as EU law didn't stop austerity or protect UK citizens from having their Human Rights Breached.
    No, I think you're arguing a point i didn't make.

I said nothing about the EU stopping austerity, or indeed being linked to it, until the Brexit vote.

I simply posted that the previous years of austerity have now been identified as in breach of human rights by the UN. And that has an interesting context (to me at least) given that the Brexit vote may well now lead to further austerity measures by the government (based on warnings by the Chancellor post-brexit). Maybe that was always on the agenda and the vote gives him justification.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by catalanjo View Post

@ "Interestingly enough, today, the FTSE 100 has climbed back to a position above where it was before Brexit and so did the pound."
    Something odd about this statement !

23 June 2016 £1 = €1.3047
    https://www.oanda.com/currency/live-exchange-rates/
    29 June 2016 £1 = €1.2086

Where did you get your data from?

Or were you referring to a pound of spuds?

Cheers
    It was in the news. Live rates show $1.34 at the moment using the same site you did: https://www.oanda.com/currency/live-exchange-rates/

They may have been wrong about the pound and FTSE being as high as before the vote though. Both have climbed since the day after though. The pound was at $1.32 on Sunday. FTSE made 100 points today.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post

I simply posted that the previous years of austerity have now been identified as in breach of human rights by the UN. And that has an interesting context (to me at least) given that the Brexit vote may well now lead to further austerity measures by the government (based on warnings by the Chancellor post-brexit). Maybe that was always on the agenda and the vote gives him justification.
    I don't disagree, but equally I don't see it's relevance to Europe as clearly being a part of Europe wouldn't do anything to stop it.

As for the chancellor, do you really trust Osborne? He was scare mongering before Brexit. This isn't a war of leave vs in, this is a war of rich vs poor. How many poor people are running Europe? I suggest you watch the forthcoming programme on CH5 next Monday: "The Blair Rich Project": http://www.channel5.com/show/the-blair-rich-project Don't know what's in it, but if it's what I think it is, then it will be interesting.

Absolutely, which we found out AFTER the event. So how you can say it was despite the bus is beyond me. People clearly voted in part BECAUSE of the bus and the false promises.
    Right. And others must have voted based on the disgusting Remain campaign's demonization of the Brexit position by associating Cox's killer as one of "them".

From her perspective, its been the sense of unwelcomeness that has filled this country of late.
    Fair enough, but does she understand the pressures that this massive immigration has placed on Britain? Has she heard of Rotherham? Is she in favor of the complete elimination of borders and any restriction on immigration?. If not, then where would she draw the line?

I believe Brexit is a very good thing and I am predicting that the effect will manifest well beyond the swings in the financial markets and soon.

Any opinions about the Istanbul massacre?
    Last edited by planters; 06-29-2016 at 15:38.

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    Any opinions about the Istanbul massacre?
    That was very unexpected. Erdogan supported ISIS and bought (buys?) oil from them. So makes no sense. But I also don't think it was orchestrated by their government to show the world the turkish government has no connection with ISIS, Erdogan is crazy but I don't think he would go this far.
    Turkey finally apologized to Russia recently for blowing up their military jet and getting one of the pilots killed in November. Don't see any connection here as well. ISIS commiting a massive terror attack over that? Don't see as a good reason either.
    If the government blamed kurdish separatists for the attack instead of ISIS maybe it would make some sense to be suspicious. Of course they can bomb kurds some more while cliaming they are bombing ISIS after this, but again, getting so many people killed as an excuse for killing more kurds? I don't see why they couldn't do it as usual without an excuse.
    Beats me...
    Last edited by neskusen; 06-29-2016 at 14:37.

Now, it's a week and a half after the vote and the markets have not crashed and the island has not sunk.

This recent post by Louder is too long, but there is an interesting exchange with Lauren Southern beginning around 23 min and lasting for 5-10 min. This does not relate directly to the Brexit, but it gives an insight into what many in Europe face, who oppose the heavy hand of the elite globalists. To me this is not surprising, but it is worse than what I imagined and I would guess similar to what the Nazi's tried and the Soviets did.

I think it is a mistake to overemphasize the financial arguments. Even though they are real and support the Brexit, it is the philosophical argument for sovereignty and representative government as well as against overly large, intrusive government that has won. I truly believe this is just the beginning. The elites out of fear of loosing power will tighten their grip (threaten sanctions), become more brazen (talk about their grandchildren on their private jet days before the deposition) and more and more reasonable people and countries will slip through their fingers.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/dozens-kil...012811286.html

Concerns about uncontrolled immigration, expanding no go zones within the EU, globalist intervention in the Middle East are SO uninformed. Islam, what's not to like. The importation of the "religion of peace" into Western societies is so enriching.

So... hows it going in your island?