Thread: Simple BEYOND/QM2000 question

Default Simple BEYOND/QM2000 question

Hi, I want to add BEYOND to my PC lighting rig to produce multimedia stage lighting/AV/laser presentations on my artnet lighting visualiser to send to online clients.
    I have a few DMX lasers but I am unfamiliar with ILDA laser systems.
    I'm interested in purchasing BEYOND software and a QM2000 laser controller, but I'm unsure how the licencing procedure operates.
    Does the QM2000 laser controller need to be connected and switched on and running for the BEYOND software to work?

regards,
    Peter
    www.luminouslights.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by LuminousLights View Post
    Hi, I want to add BEYOND to my PC lighting rig to produce multimedia stage lighting/AV/laser presentations on my artnet lighting visualiser to send to online clients.
    I have a few DMX lasers but I am unfamiliar with ILDA laser systems.
    I'm interested in purchasing BEYOND software and a QM2000 laser controller, but I'm unsure how the licencing procedure operates.
    Does the QM2000 laser controller need to be connected and switched on and running for the BEYOND software to work?

regards,
    Peter
    www.luminouslights.com.au
    Beyond is a really good choice for using DMX as it pertains to stage lighting and such. I use it for controlling all of my Halloween DMX lighting. As for ILDA, you'll want to use that primarily for running laser projectors and leave the DMX to other lighting and devices.

To answer your question, yes... The QM2000 is a PCI card that installs into a computer so, you will always need that "on" to run the software. It has a serial number encoded to the device and that is what Beyon uses to authenticate. There are PCI to ethernet enclosures available for users who want to run the QM2000 card on a laptop but you'll always need the controller to run the software. It is its own dongle.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

I haven't had the opportunity to test this with the latest version of Beyond, but with the previous (I believe it's referred to as the Special Release) version using QM2000 / QM.NET, you only need periodic connections to keep Beyond functioning. I'm not positive about the "grace period", but I think the requirement is the licensed QM /QM.net needs to be attached at least once every 10(?) days when Beyond boots so it can verify the license.

Unless you're buying 2nd hand, you might really want to consider going the FB3 route instead of QM, since the FB3 pretty much does everything that the QM does.
    It's not much bigger than a deck of cards, so portability shouldn't be an issue, even if you need to travel with a laptop.
    And, it's probably going to be cheaper than a new QM, even without the QM.net.
    As a bonus, you basically get QuickShow for free with the FB3, so you have a 2nd REALLY GOOD software package you can turn to if you have smaller show requirements that don't necessarily need the power & complexity of Beyond.

There's also the FB4, which now probably exceeds some of the capabilities of the QM, but right now the FB4 is really designed to be installed in projectors.

Something to keep in mind if you decide to go with a portable option (FB3 / FB4 / QM.net) ~
    The Pangolin software is licensed to a particular controller, not the computer, so you can install the software on multiple computers, and connect to the licensed controller as needed.
    So, you could have the software running on a desktop in your home studio, then disconnect the controller and attach to a laptop for running the shows.
    Just about any Windows PC (including laptop) made in the last several years should run the Pangolin software just fine.

Quick note concerning DMX and Beyond -
    Unless there's been a fairly recent change, LD2000 was the last Pangolin software that supported the DMX connection on the QM2000 board.
    So, whether using a QM board or FB3/4, with Beyond you'll still need a separate DMX interface.
    The standard interface supported by Pangolin is the Enttec DMX USB Pro.

Pangolin's web site should have the details...
    Last edited by Stuka; 06-16-2016 at 11:19.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

QM DMX In/Out support has been off and on with the last lot of Beyond builds. Currently it's enabled on the latest build available and works really well for me.
    The Enttec boxes are nice; the only improvement I'd like is for Beyond to automatically connect to the interface if it's seen it previously and has been plugged/unplugged while Beyond is open. (It auto connects if it's connected when Beyond loads).
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Good to hear the QM DMX connection is supported again!

Daniel, what version of Beyond are you running?
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Definitely works in 809 (I used it last night). I think the other build I've installed (858?) works too.
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Good to know - hopefully I'll get a chance to try it out soon!

I wonder if the QM DMX support is still considered to be a test release?
    I still don't see it mentioned on the Pangolin web site.

I do hope it becomes a permanent feature of Beyond ~
    It would be cool to have a couple of conventional DMX universes PLUS Artnet available from one software interface!!
    RR

Sweet.....

Thanks for replies. After a lot umming and ahhing I eventually got a FB3QS. It seems to work efficiently with my system for the time being as my PC lighting console works with a wing. I have an Enntec box however the ethernet port is currently being used by a media server projector. Once again thanks for your help. I do like the look of FB4 installed into the laser but currently that's for another time.