Thread: Recording a laser show - recommended camera settings

Default Recording a laser show - recommended camera settings

Hello there!

Did a quick search on the forum and on the web and can't seem to find a correct answer for this - I'm trying to record an animation laser show in my dark room (night+shutters+no other source of light, ~22m square), however using any mobile phone fails (even with manual focus and dark environment setup) and my camera is also not doing the trick, however I'm not that experienced in manual setup of the ISO, focal length, shutter speed, etc. especially to capture something so complex as laser show via video.

So basically - how do you capture it? I've an option to borrow a goPro camera with 60 fps, would that help? My other cam is Canon Powershot SX240 HS.

The biggest issue is the bright text (white-ish) and all the very light parts (such as yellow), darker seems to be OK.

Thanks for helping me with this silly issue! =)
    -Mel
    My kit: Mamba Elements V3 & DAC, ILD SOS & LaserCam, LaserDock DAC, Kvant Clubmax 1800 (2017)

How exactly does it fail? If it only captures part of the frames it is due to the shutter being set too low, you need to set it to at least as long as one frame in the lasershow lasts. For example for a 30 FPS show, set the shutter to 1/30 or longer. If it is that the beams are too bright/too weak, adjust the ISO up and down. And a lot of fog is a must, otherwise the camera will probably have a hard time capturing the beams nicely. Use manual/fixed settings, especially focus. Also, in your software, set a blanked safe-zone around the camera so that no beams hit the lens directly or even close, that would overpower the camera sensor so that you won't see anything but white, in fact it will probably even damage it.

I've used a GoPro in the past. You will get barely passable results, but they're no where near what you'd describe as good. You really need an SLR or advanced crossover with full manual control. Scenes modes and full auto are not going to help you as laser is much brighter than anything the camera is programmed to deal with.

Thanks so much to both of you, White-Light and Grix! This has been helpful input and I genuinely was having trouble recording it on the wall (animation) and Uncle Google wasn't much of help. Not doing the beam recording yet, although I do have the safe-zone prepared, and Photography is still something that's on the list of To-Learn.
    My kit: Mamba Elements V3 & DAC, ILD SOS & LaserCam, LaserDock DAC, Kvant Clubmax 1800 (2017)

Shutter speed will help greatly, but unless you use a camera with CCD sensor instead of CMOS you won't get rid of the artifacts completely.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTaq...=RDpTaqcGz2O5o Pay attention from 0:27-0:31 on the white beams, notice the curved lines running on the beam. That's caused by the CMOS sensor. It can look way worse with worse settings, but you can't get rid of it completely.