Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lasers and synthesizers...

Quote Originally Posted by Aahs View Post
    Couple quadrature LFO's and some VCO's and you'll be set. Batumi http://xaocdevices.com/main/batumi/ will be a great friend of lasers, I can tell already! Also there's Dr. Octature, which is all about phase shift LFO's. For someone who already has a euro system it's a shoe in
    Seems I need on of these LFO Modules too as all my LFO's currently run free, but damn, they both are expansive!

Y'all need to come to SELEM and check out what Aron Bacs (Lumia) is bringing to the event! He's been working on a software-based analog abstract console that is essentially a huge, virtual DSP that you can program to do whatever you want.

So yeah - analog synth performance without all the expensive hardware! It can simulate just about anything, including a Moog or other old-school synth, but his software just happens to be tailored to creating amazing laser abstracts that used to be possible only with a custom-built analog console... He's going to demo it in less than 2 weeks.

Adam

Ok, lets see what Aron has done and how much is the fish. Its allways interesting and I agree that software can be mighty at lasers.

But as with virtual synths, an real analogue ist still different, not that much, but diffferent. The main difference so far is'nt anymore the sound but the haptic of hardware has its own and the understanding of what a synthesizer does is still so much easier on an real thing.

But, let's see.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

don't overlook the fact that abstract consoles (pointing to dz's Z5) *are* synthesizers. they're just optimized to favor eye candy over ear candy.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

True -
    But the Z5 probably wouldn't fit very well into the little remaining space I have in my modular racks

The eye candy / ear candy combo is (to me) what makes the LZX module (potentially) so cool ~
    It can be the "missing link" between the two worlds without necessarily requiring a lot of additional equipment.

Granted, if I was interested in in just laser control - and didn't already have a sizeable analog audio gear investment - an analog console like DZ's Z5 would definitely be the way to go!
    AND -
    Probably cheaper in the long run than racks full of individual modules that have to be manually patched to produce anything even remotely musical... which is weirdly cool
    Last edited by Stuka; 07-27-2016 at 14:19.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    True -
    But the Z5 probably wouldn't fit very well into the little remaining space I have in my modular racks

The eye candy / ear candy combo is (to me) what makes the LZX module (potentially) so cool ~
    It can be the "missing link" between the two worlds without necessarily requiring a lot of additional equipment.

Granted, if I was interested in in just laser control - and didn't already have a sizeable analog audio gear investment - an analog console like DZ's Z5 would definitely be the way to go!
    AND -
    Probably cheaper in the long run than racks full of individual modules that have to be manually patched to produce anything even remotely musical... which is weirdly cool
    i do agree with all those things.. my friend andrew develops rack synth modules and sequencers. much like the ones i used when i studied EMU at university.

http://www.kilpatrickaudio.com/
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Brockwitzer View Post
    Ok, lets see what Aron has done and how much is the fish.
    I hear you, but give Aron some credit. He worked for AVI for years, and cut his laser teeth on the old-school analog consoles from Laser Fantasy and even Bob Ash's original P-3... He definitely knows what he's about.

an real analogue ist still different, not that much, but diffferent. The main difference so far is'nt anymore the sound but the haptic of hardware
    I agree that a physical knob or slider is very different than a virtual control on a touch-screen. And there is some "drift" built-in to those old-school circuits (well, some of them anyway) that actually added character to the output. But if you know how the hardware works - I mean really know it cold, down to the idiosyncrasies of each component - you can model all that in the digital realm too.

I've seen the output from a beta version of his software, and I'd put it up against one of DZ's Z-5 consoles any day. (At least in terms of the quality of the output.) Operating it though, is quite another matter, but Aron is working on that end too.

Hopefully folks will take pics/video of it in action to share here...

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    I hear you, but give Aron some credit......... there is some "drift" built-in to those old-school circuits (well, some of them anyway) that actually added character to the output. But if you know how the hardware works - I mean really know it cold, down to the idiosyncrasies of each component - you can model all that in the digital realm too......Adam
    This is starting to look very interesting..... "software that's alive"!
    Cheers

"Solar Prominence lll" A new synergistic approach to Laser Lumia
    Audio/Lumia synergy - Theory

Well....Time to add my 02cents !!! I have long thought that we need a new approach to a coupling between music and Laser display. I believe that music is the more powerful force in generating raw emotion.....and the addition of Laser display amplifies and compliments that emotional response.
    SO...assuming the above is true...my thoughts turned to Lumia display vs. abstract generation, traditional beam or graphic display as the additional Laser display method to be coupled with music. IMNSHO...Lumia is akin to " Visual Gregorian Chant ". One can view Lumia...but...not really focus on the pattern changes. The patterns vary...but in many ways remain similar. But yet, on some level,...the Lumia display is recognized...and has emotional impact.
    So...now...if the above is true....Lumia display that is coupled with audio music content would allow the music content to take centre stage....but...still allow Laser Lumia a powerful synergistic impact....to raise the overall emotional response...to a value greater than the individual value of the addition of the two components ( Music + Lumia )
    Audio/Lumia synergy - Applied practice
    About 6 months ago....I started building a Lumia machine... and at the same time began talking with the fine folks at Foxtone and Sweetwater Music...suppliers of Synthesizer equipment. My goal has been to have the link between the music and the Lumia display...to occur on an automatic, yet controllable platform. I envisioned that the music content would enter the system...and the Lumia RGB would react...without constant intervention.
    To this end, I purchased a Eurorack Sound envelope follower and a LVO ADSR envelope modifier. My goal is to have a sonic event be connected to a single channel of an RGB Lumia generator. SO....I wanted a single channel of the RGB....say...the RED line to be automatically coupled to the source audio amplitude ( volume). The Blue and Green line will be adjustable in output....but not linked to the audio content. The test unit is set up so that either the Red, Green or Blue can be the..."accent color". When an audio change event occurs...whichever R,G or B....responds in power output....But in a special way !!
    IMNSHO...it is very critical, as my interpretation of what the nature of Laser Lumia should be is .....SMOOTH....NO quick changes in display intensity !! So...if the music sound volume has a rapid ramp up/increase....the "accent color" follows suite....but in a smooth response. This is where the ADSR unit comes into play. This unit accept the Envelope follower unit CV input and then modifies the sonic envelope output, thereby changing the ADSR signature. ADSR stands for " Attack, Decay, Sustain and Release "
    The desired sequence of Music~Laser intensity coupling is not a one to one rate. Let's say that if there is a rapid increase in the music sound level, the Laser output will respond...but...slowly....following the volume / amplitude....with a much slower response....and a much longer sustained display/reply. So...the Laser output will follow a modified audio ADSR envelope.
    System audio path as follows;

Audio/Music signal into the Euro Rack Envelope Follower
    Envelope Follower signal into the LVO ADSR unit
    Modified audio sonic envelope into the LSP Driver units
    LSP Driver units modulate the R,G or B LD output level
    System Laser section
    LD compliment consisting of Dual 63196 Red, Single NUBM07E Blue and Single NUMB01T Green. IMNSHO....these are great lines and will have a combined output over 5W. Standard Dichroic combining. The beam propagation is adjusted to very, very slightly off-axis alignment. The result is a generation of several colors...outside the constraint of only Red, Green and Blue. Disclaimer: This set-up was suggested to me by DSLI Jon. The idea is that in the central section of the beam arrangement, a color blending will occur. Blended gradations appear in various proportions/colors. On the mid to outer section annulus, pure R,G and B is distinct.
    Lumia Distortion section
    Unfortunately, I am not at liberty to discuss the details of this section due to proprietary commitments. I will say that dual Lumia distortion disc's are employed and that the RPM speed is greatly reduced. The resulting Lumia patterns are quite beautiful and remind me of pictures of Solar prominence. In the area of Lumia generation, my path has been greatly advanced and schooled by Clickamouse ( Mike Gould ) for which I am greatly appreciative !!!
    Conclusion
    The end goal for all this is a new approach to Lumia display. A system engineered to deliver a degree of Laser Lumia effect, but that effect coupled, in an " elastic " relationship to any audio musical content. Work continues on the project. This, for myself is mostly new territory ! There many, many controls on the Eurorack units ! Enough to give a great amount of diversity in selecting the nature of the ADSR modification that is feed into the LSP drivers.
    When I get closer to testing all the section/systems I will publish some pictures...and likely a video. I do not know if such an approach to Audio/Lumia display has been tried before ?? Perhaps it has ?? Wish me luck !! Any suggestions are strongly requested. Thanx !
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

i'd like to see what you end up with...

a few years ago i got to spend some hands on time with an audio coupled lumia machine. it was a very interesting build, but i found it too frenetic for my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by CDBEAM View Post
    "Solar Prominence lll" A new synergistic approach to Laser Lumia
    Audio/Lumia synergy - Theory

Well....Time to add my 02cents !!! I have long thought that we need a new approach to a coupling between music and Laser display. I believe that music is the more powerful force in generating raw emotion.....and the addition of Laser display amplifies and compliments that emotional response.
    SO...assuming the above is true...my thoughts turned to Lumia display vs. abstract generation, traditional beam or graphic display as the additional Laser display method to be coupled with music. IMNSHO...Lumia is akin to " Visual Gregorian Chant ". One can view Lumia...but...not really focus on the pattern changes. The patterns vary...but in many ways remain similar. But yet, on some level,...the Lumia display is recognized...and has emotional impact.
    So...now...if the above is true....Lumia display that is coupled with audio music content would allow the music content to take centre stage....but...still allow Laser Lumia a powerful synergistic impact....to raise the overall emotional response...to a value greater than the individual value of the addition of the two components ( Music + Lumia )
    Audio/Lumia synergy - Applied practice
    About 6 months ago....I started building a Lumia machine... and at the same time began talking with the fine folks at Foxtone and Sweetwater Music...suppliers of Synthesizer equipment. My goal has been to have the link between the music and the Lumia display...to occur on an automatic, yet controllable platform. I envisioned that the music content would enter the system...and the Lumia RGB would react...without constant intervention.
    To this end, I purchased a Eurorack Sound envelope follower and a LVO ADSR envelope modifier. My goal is to have a sonic event be connected to a single channel of an RGB Lumia generator. SO....I wanted a single channel of the RGB....say...the RED line to be automatically coupled to the source audio amplitude ( volume). The Blue and Green line will be adjustable in output....but not linked to the audio content. The test unit is set up so that either the Red, Green or Blue can be the..."accent color". When an audio change event occurs...whichever R,G or B....responds in power output....But in a special way !!
    IMNSHO...it is very critical, as my interpretation of what the nature of Laser Lumia should be is .....SMOOTH....NO quick changes in display intensity !! So...if the music sound volume has a rapid ramp up/increase....the "accent color" follows suite....but in a smooth response. This is where the ADSR unit comes into play. This unit accept the Envelope follower unit CV input and then modifies the sonic envelope output, thereby changing the ADSR signature. ADSR stands for " Attack, Decay, Sustain and Release "
    The desired sequence of Music~Laser intensity coupling is not a one to one rate. Let's say that if there is a rapid increase in the music sound level, the Laser output will respond...but...slowly....following the volume / amplitude....with a much slower response....and a much longer sustained display/reply. So...the Laser output will follow a modified audio ADSR envelope.
    System audio path as follows;

Audio/Music signal into the Euro Rack Envelope Follower
    Envelope Follower signal into the LVO ADSR unit
    Modified audio sonic envelope into the LSP Driver units
    LSP Driver units modulate the R,G or B LD output level
    System Laser section
    LD compliment consisting of Dual 63196 Red, Single NUBM07E Blue and Single NUMB01T Green. IMNSHO....these are great lines and will have a combined output over 5W. Standard Dichroic combining. The beam propagation is adjusted to very, very slightly off-axis alignment. The result is a generation of several colors...outside the constraint of only Red, Green and Blue. Disclaimer: This set-up was suggested to me by DSLI Jon. The idea is that in the central section of the beam arrangement, a color blending will occur. Blended gradations appear in various proportions/colors. On the mid to outer section annulus, pure R,G and B is distinct.
    Lumia Distortion section
    Unfortunately, I am not at liberty to discuss the details of this section due to proprietary commitments. I will say that dual Lumia distortion disc's are employed and that the RPM speed is greatly reduced. The resulting Lumia patterns are quite beautiful and remind me of pictures of Solar prominence. In the area of Lumia generation, my path has been greatly advanced and schooled by Clickamouse ( Mike Gould ) for which I am greatly appreciative !!!
    Conclusion
    The end goal for all this is a new approach to Lumia display. A system engineered to deliver a degree of Laser Lumia effect, but that effect coupled, in an " elastic " relationship to any audio musical content. Work continues on the project. This, for myself is mostly new territory ! There many, many controls on the Eurorack units ! Enough to give a great amount of diversity in selecting the nature of the ADSR modification that is feed into the LSP drivers.
    When I get closer to testing all the section/systems I will publish some pictures...and likely a video. I do not know if such an approach to Audio/Lumia display has been tried before ?? Perhaps it has ?? Wish me luck !! Any suggestions are strongly requested. Thanx !