Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lasers and synthesizers...

Quote Originally Posted by CountFunkula View Post
    Discothefunkyhippo had one in the modular he brought to SELEM 11. Cool little module. Seemed to work as intended- Not a lot to it: voltage control in, some gain pots, and ILDA out!
    Sounds good - simple is what I'm looking for at this point!
    (I have enough other stuff in my synth racks to up the ante on complexity factor)

Thanks for the info!

Randy
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has has had the chance to spend some hands-on time with the LZX Cyclops module (Eurorack-to-ILDA Laser Projector interface ) that was the subject of my original post?

I'm starting to see the "light at the end of the tunnel" of my home workshop / laser & music studio conversion, which includes (finally!) my completely-assembled 5U modular and Moog synth gear, along with a semi-permanent install of my laser equipment.
    I'm still VERY interested combining the lasers with my modular, and was thinking a small Eurorack case filled with the Cyclops and a couple of quadrature LFO modules would be a great way to directly link the synths & lasers.

If anyone here has any experience working with the LZX Cyclops module, it would be great to hear your feedback.

Thanks in advance!

Randy
    Hi Randy,

Well......we are on a parallel course !! Just last week I received my LZX Cyclops module !! Not outa the box yet !!

I plan to combine this with my DOEPHER - A19 Module (External Input / Envelope Follower) and a MATHS - Makes Noise unit. Last fall I purchased a Korg Minilogue.
    SOoooo...I have all the basic's covered...I think !! ?? SOoooo....I need to experiment !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know enough about Laser Projectors....to be real dangerous.....but....the "World of Euro Rack/Synthesizer's ".....GOOD GRIEF....I am a Stranger....in a very strange Land...Indeed !!!!

I know what I want the outcome to be.... Autonomous/Self-Generating Laser vector graphics ( And Lumia Too !!)....linked to music !!

I realize...the outcome will very likely fall far, far below that of a Swami Show quality.....But then....visualize a Swami Show....minus his epic selection of music....like 2D vs 3D !!!!

SOooo...I admit it...I am searching for the quick, dirty and EASY way out !!!.....Soooo.....Poo Poo this...if you must......I really do not care !!

I believe....this will be very interesting.....and just as with the awesome vector graphics of a Swami Show deliver !!!

It is the synergy of......Combined Music + Coherent Vector graphics....that delivers the " Emotional Punch " of a Swami Show !!!

I just want..." The Car.....to drive itself ".....so....I want the " Music content ".....to drive the Laser Show...hence...the term...
    " Autonomous Laser Show Generation "....

I will advise as soon as I get the Cyclops installed into the Tip Top rack !!!....and figure out some basic patch cord spaghetti Voodoo !!

Bob
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Yeah, the LZX Cyclops works as intended.

The general rule of thumb in modular is that you can never have enough VCAs, this also applies using modular systems to control lasers. 2 quadrature LFOs are probably 'necessary', but 3 would be better. DC offsets and attenuators are also helpful. Bi-polar VCAs/Polarizers/Multipliers will get you X or Y rotation. DZ and I couldn't quite figure out Z rotation using 4 multipliers at SELEM and I haven't really tried since. If you figure this out, I would love to know how to do it. A standard LFOs would be helpful too. The Z-5 has two LFOs with wave shapers. You can use clock dividers or multipliers to produce harmonically relative pulse waves for color modulation. LFOs that have pulse width modulation (PWM) are great for color modulation.

-Sal

*edited for accuracy
    Last edited by discothefunkyhippo; 04-23-2018 at 15:45.

Yikes....These guys !!! They speak 2 or 3 languages....fluently....whereas...I have mastered..." Goo Goo Gaa Gaa "

OK...I want very limited control of the Lissajous curves...or the other million's of patterns.

I want the Vector Graphics/Sacred Geometry....to be linked and controlled by the music....amplitude and or frequency decide how the beam swings.

Now...I want a plethora of "Knobs to Twiddle with" like Maxwell...for sure !!! The DOEPHER, MATHS and CYCLOPS modules...plus all the combinations/permutations of patch combinations likely have hundred's of Thousands of variations.

THIS....ALL this with Millions of musical content possibilities....so.....I think that one will not get bored !!!

Hmmmm...Is this making sense to anyone....other than me ????? SPEAK UP !!!!

Sometimes...it is just a real bitch...to be " Avant Garde ".....hahahahahaha !!...or...be the only one wearing the Hat of Tin Foil !!!!

CDBEAM
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Evening guys - thanks for chiming in so quickly!!
    (And Bob - I feel your pain on some of the lingo!!)

I'm going to "try" to limit the additional synth modules I acquire to make the synth-to-laser connection, but something tells me this could quickly open up a whole new cash-sucking tunnel into this money-pit hobby!!

My thoughts-
    Since I already have some spare rack cases, I'm considering grabbing a Tiptop Audio Happy Ending kit (Bob beat me to it!) to convert a case into an 84HP Eurorack (with 80HP left after mounting the power supply).

My current (primarily) 5U rack is really geared towards sequencing my Moog synths (Little Phatty, 2 Slim Phatty's, Minitaur, and several MoogerFoogers, including a pair of CP-251 Control Processors ).
    Plenty of sequencing options (3 sequencers, plus a couple of gate/ CV switchers / randomizers, a couple of MIDI to CV and MIDI to clock sources), but other than that, everything is pretty basic ~
    A couple of Oscillator/LFO's, basic EGR, filter, mixer, and a combined EGR/VCA .

Having never dealt directly with the crazy array of modules available in the Eurorack world (my Doepfer Dark Energy II and Dark Time sequencer are the closest I've come to Eurorack at this point), I'm admittedly at a bit of a loss as to what modules I would really need to "feed" the Cyclops. Since I want to make the most of the available space in the Eurorack case (should have 64HP available after mounting the Cyclops and rack power supply) - and of course wanting to get the most bang for the buck -

Any suggestions on specific modules I might want to consider, at least to get started?

Appreciate the feedback and any recommendations you guys might have -
    Thanks!!

Randy
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

OK...I want very limited control of the Lissajous curves...or the other million's of patterns.
    You can get basic Lissajous curves by putting the output of one oscillator into the X output and another one into the Y output of Cyclops. Maths can function as an oscillator, but it will give you saw and triangle waves not sine waves without the help of an external wave shaper. It also should be noted that Maths channels 1 and 4 do not output a bi-polar signal on their own, but you can use channels 2 or 3 as an offset and get a bipolar signal from the SUM output. If you want a circle, you need to supply X with a sine wave and Y with a sine wave at the same frequency but whose phase is shifted by 90 degrees. A quadrature oscillator produces both a wave and its shifted output. To produce basic cycloid patterns you would sum the output of 2 quadrature oscillators at different frequencies with a mixer. In order to control the amplitude, which relates to the size of the image, you need a Voltage Controlled Amplifier (VCA), or a passive attenuator/attenuverter (Channels 2 and 3 of the Maths).

I want the Vector Graphics/Sacred Geometry....to be linked and controlled by the music....amplitude and or frequency decide how the beam swings.
    To extract a control signal from the amplitude of music or another modular signal, you need an envelope follower, which it sounds like you have. You can extract a control signal from frequency in a few different ways. Digitally you can use the Fast Fourier Transform to extract the information of different frequency buckets. In the analog world, you can you use and array narrow band pass filters tuned to different frequencies (Verbos Bark Filter Processor, Fumana Spectral Filter Bank).

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    Any suggestions on specific modules I might want to consider, at least to get started?
    Check this out: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/652340. Also, ModularGrid is a great place to learn about whats out there and what it does.

-Sal

Well...as usual....I went off on a tangent...Babbling on and on....Let me elaborate.

My first project....(and still being built)...is the " Solar Prominence lll " project. THIS project is about 3/4 done. I propose to use the DOPHER and MATHS unit....and have the amplitude of music content....linked to the power output of R or G, or B.....

I have constructed a special Lumia unit to be coupled with this Modulated RGB combined beams. That project is moving forward....at the speed of a Glacier !!

SOooo...Second project....Use the DOEPHER and MATHS unit to feed the Cyclops....and experiment feeding the DOEPHER and MATHS unit with various musical content. The Cyclops will supply the ILDA signal to my X-Laser projector !!

I am just experimenting...obviously not yet having a good ( or even basic) handle on how...and or if these components will work together !!! Please tolerate my learning curve. I really appreciate the above posts....of which I understand...maybe 30~40%....understanding will come with time and experimenting.

I will likely start with the second project....tinkering around with the Cyclops !!!! I am being coached by Joe Novak at Midwest Modular. He as the tolerance of a Saint !

The Joy is in the Journey !!! Goo Goo Gaa Gaa !!!

Beam out

Holy Shit Batman....SO....What do ya do...with NINE (9) modules do !!! ???????????????????????

Do they ALL these link up to music content....or.....like the L5....generate millions of L-Patterns....Stunning and completely beautiful L-Patterns ??????...SOoooo...no music content feeds into the basic system
    Last edited by CDBEAM; 04-23-2018 at 17:13. Reason: Added reply to Disco last post

Quote Originally Posted by discothefunkyhippo View Post
    Check this out: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/652340. Also, ModularGrid is a great place to learn about whats out there and what it does.

-Sal
    Awesome - Thanks Sal!

ModularGrid is an awesome site, no doubt -
    I spent some time there (and at MuffWigglers) when I first started taking the plunge into the 5U modular world several years ago.

I really should spend more time at both sites -
    But the last time I did that, my single Dotcom Box 11 modular rapidly grew onto the triple stack I have now!!

It's a good thing I don't have any kids expecting me to leave them a lot of money when I croak...
    RR

Sweet.....

Yea......The kids aren't getting ...SQUAT !!!....Hey......I hear ya bruvva !! " Smoke'em...if ya got'em "

And....well...looks like we have at least three (3) Tin Foil headed....Donk's

Hmmmm Laser Money Pit....mates with Synth Money pit.....Oh Crap !!! All combined with loving...but...not understanding wife !!!

Kay Boooom !!!

Beam Out

And...Yes...Thanx Sal for the link !!!...any pics/video's of what this set up can generate ???
    Last edited by CDBEAM; 04-23-2018 at 19:39.