Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lasers and synthesizers...

Default Lasers and synthesizers...

It finally happened -

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/20...er/#more-72450

I'm going to need more modules for my analog synth...
    Last edited by Stuka; 07-10-2016 at 04:58.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Have you gotten your hands on one yet? I've got one on order from Lars, supposedly should come around within the month. New to lasers(literally this module is the initial force behind the newfound hobby), been around modular synths for some years though (have a pretty sizable LZX video rig).

Any suggestions for a newcomer with this as my point of interface?

Time to do some research/shopping ><

Any quick recommendations for a 2-3k budget? Would be pretty rad to go RGB right off the bat, if possible. Don't want to be capable of blinding anyone either, at least initially.

Do you post on Muffwiggler? I imagine some of the videosynthesis cats over there will start trickling into laserland with this new point of crossover.

CV EVERYTHING!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    It finally happened -

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/20...er/#more-72450

I'm going to need more modules for my analog synth...
    Last edited by Aahs; 07-20-2016 at 08:18.

Need a bit more than just an output module to convert synths for laser use!
    You really need to dive into each module, to convert them to double 90 degree shifted outputs (especially the LFOs).
    Still you have to start somewhere and this definitely looks like a start at least.
    Cheers

catalanjo, there are modules for that Also, not everything needs to be shifted 90 degrees.

Looking forward to getting my hands on this puppy.

-Sal

Couple quadrature LFO's and some VCO's and you'll be set. Batumi http://xaocdevices.com/main/batumi/ will be a great friend of lasers, I can tell already! Also there's Dr. Octature, which is all about phase shift LFO's. For someone who already has a euro system it's a shoe in

I'm on the list for notification once they're available, so if the price is right I plan to jump on board.
    All my modular gear is 5U, so I guess this could be the blue pill that sucks me into the world of Eurocrack....
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Aahs View Post
    Have you gotten your hands on one yet? I've got one on order from Lars, supposedly should come around within the month. New to lasers(literally this module is the initial force behind the newfound hobby), been around modular synths for some years though (have a pretty sizable LZX video rig).

Any suggestions for a newcomer with this as my point of interface?

Time to do some research/shopping ><

Any quick recommendations for a 2-3k budget? Would be pretty rad to go RGB right off the bat, if possible. Don't want to be capable of blinding anyone either, at least initially.

Do you post on Muffwiggler? I imagine some of the videosynthesis cats over there will start trickling into laserland with this new point of crossover.

CV EVERYTHING!

Cheers!
    Lots of options online for purchasing, but with that budget you might consider going through X-Laser USA or directly through Pangolin and get a quality projecter and conventional computer-based controller and software package.
    (Might as well keep all the control options open!)

Keep in mind that software packages like Pangolin QuickShow and Beyond include safety features for controlling a laser projector that probably would not be present if you use direct control from one of these LZX (or other) analog modules. SO, it would probably be VERY easy to inadvertently direct beams (and high beam intensities) in unexpected directions with direct analog control.

Regardless of the projector you get, keep in mind that once you get laser power into the hundreds of milliwatts and higher, you are dealing with laser energy that could be potentially very dangerous (especially to eyesight).
    I would learn everything you can about high power laser projectors, and if you make the investment, learn to use the equipment with the software first, so you'll have a safe method to control the projector while you learn its capabilities.

I think I would approach any use of direct modular analog control as potentially dangerous, and make sure you experiment in a very controlled environment.
    But still have fun...

BTW -
    I'm not real active on the site, but I do occasionally post on Muffwiggler as "gearhead61".
    I just "finished" (for now) my first Moog rack synth / 5U hybrid early this year...
    Last edited by Stuka; 07-20-2016 at 11:11.
    RR

Sweet.....

Aahs,

I would recommend getting the Wave-USB (http://www.aldebaran-systems.com/WaveUSB.htm) which is a fancy sound card DAC that will allow pass the ILDA signal through so you can record performances and as well as re-play things that you have recorded. I have one now and use it all the time. You can also record the audio coming from your synth as well via RCA.

With regards to a projector, I would echo what Stuka said, check with X-laser/ Pangolin. If you want to build something, look for a single mode RGB module and get some fast scanners! Make sure you get analog color modulation. If you are just doing shows in your living room you definitely do not need more than 1 Watt.

-Sal

Quote Originally Posted by Aahs View Post
    Couple quadrature LFO's and some VCO's and you'll be set. Batumi http://xaocdevices.com/main/batumi/ will be a great friend of lasers, I can tell already! Also there's Dr. Octature, which is all about phase shift LFO's. For someone who already has a euro system it's a shoe in
    @ "Also, not everything needs to be shifted 90 degrees." ... true ! ...especially if VCAs come in pairs

Many thanks for links !
    Cheers
    Last edited by catalanjo; 07-21-2016 at 05:30.

I've been doing that for 20 years. I have a 40 piece moog modular I built. Check out the software reaktor. With the right DAC you can do anything. Add a midi control surface and game over.