Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NWLEM IV - September 23rd-25th, 2016 - Portland, Oregon

Default NWLEM IV - September 23rd-25th, 2016 - Portland, Oregon

Hey everyone,

The venue for last year's NWLEM is available for one last time, before the building is sold in October. Let's make this one for the books!
    Just got confirmation from the venue on the date. I had to move to the 23rd-25th as it's the only viable weekend I'll be available before the venue is no longer available.

Here's a Google Maps screenshot of the building and surrounding area:

2650 NW Wilson St.
    Portland, OR 97210

Date:
    September 23rd at 12:00 PM
    until
    September 25th at 6:00 PM
    (We're free to hang out as long as we want at night, but will probably disperse a bit after midnight each night.)

Cost: $85/person until August 25th, $100/person after that.
    This covers the venue rental and a temporary insurance policy. If we have 20 people, those two costs should be about covered. PM me for payment details. (Increased the price a bit to make sure everything is covered. Thinking about getting a generator and distro this year and it's high time we had some shirts made.)

Nearby amenities:
    - The Freeman Factory is close to downtown Portland so there are plenty of options for food both in walking distance and via a short drive.
    - There are a couple of bars and restaurants within blocks of the venue. There's Meriwether's, on the same block as the venue, Acapulco's Gold, a block away, Industrial Cafe, again, a block away, and many other options nearby.
    - For hotels, I would recommend looking near the Oregon Convention Center, although there is a Holiday Inn Express, right around the corner.

Here are some photos of the space:
    Attachment 48544Attachment 48545Attachment 48740Attachment 48741Attachment 48743Attachment 48742Attachment 48744Attachment 48745Attachment 48746Attachment 48747Attachment 48748Attachment 48749

Items of interest:
    - Ion laser work area w/ three-phase (If you're interested in this part, get in touch with me so I can coordinate power, etc)
    - Buy/Sell/Trade area
    - EtherDream 2 demo by j4cbo
    - Lumia Workshop by sugeek
    - *if you'd like to demo something or have any suggestions, PM me*

Safety note:
    All attendees/guests will be required to sign a general safety waiver, which is standard practice at laser meetings. There will be multiple laser safety officers in attendance, but I think it's good practice to clarify that everyone is responsible for their own safety. Copies will be available onsite, if requested. Also, if anyone is under 18, they will need to have a parent or guardian sign their waiver as well, to be admitted into the event.

*Leftover proceeds will be donated to Photonlexicon*
    Last edited by platinum; 09-23-2016 at 14:06.

I might be interested.
    Last edited by Vidal Wolf; 07-27-2016 at 23:15.
    Will there be three phase!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vidal Wolf View Post
    I might be interested.
    Sweet! Maybe this time I'll actually get around to messing around with my gas rig. It's still there at the venue, fortunately.

It's a great space for laser fun. I will be there!

Would there be interest from people in my bringing a different Coherent ion whitelight and the SP -165? argon? Jeff / Boom, are you coming up>?
    Maybe I should just stick with the YAG and OPSL.
    Will there be three phase!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vidal Wolf View Post
    Would there be interest from people in my bringing a different Coherent ion whitelight and the SP -165? argon? Jeff / Boom, are you coming up>?
    Maybe I should just stick with the YAG and OPSL.
    Only if its running abstracts!

Ok, I am thinking about flying up this year, either Friday afternoon/ early Saturday morning and out sometime on Sunday. Anyone willing to pick me up/ drop me off at PDX?

-Sal
    Last edited by discothefunkyhippo; 08-08-2016 at 08:12.

Quote Originally Posted by discothefunkyhippo View Post
    Only if its running abstracts!

Ok, I am thinking about flying up this year, either Friday afternoon/ early Saturday morning and out sometime on Sunday. Anyone willing to pick me up/ drop me off at PDX?

-Sal
    If I can't find someone to do it, I'll buzz over real quick and pick you up myself. Will be no problem.

I would love to see many ions running. I'll bring more rubber hose washers... I need to confirm I can get the time off but really have no excuses not to attend! Maybe this time actually make some torture tubes.

Sal, we will make sure you have a ride.

Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

I literally just got into louisville last night. I need to go to this to catch up. I will be looking at flights in the next few days. YAY

Woop woop! Count me in. Thanks for organizing Jonathan.