Thread: SELEM X Group messaging app

Default SELEM X Group messaging app

TL;DR: We're using GroupMe chat app this year for improved comms. Download it to your phone, register and PM me your deets.

Hi all,

I posted about this on the SELEM X thread but I wanted to make another, separate post to get people interested and added to the app.

We're going to use the GroupMe messaging app this year for on-site SELEM announcements. The app allows for anyone added to a given "room" to chat away. While this is essentially like everyone being in a group MMS (and who doesn't love that ) in general if you can simply walk up to the person you'd like to talk to and have a normal, Pre-smartphone, discussion using your words, everyone would be thankful. However, if someone is trying organize a food run or something, posting a brief note in the general group (and taking conversations direct when possible) will make everyone involved much happier. To this end (and to allow people to opt out of the General chatter group without missing event details), I've created two groups:

SELEM Announce: I will be (trying my best at) sending out schedule reminders 15-minutes in advance of the scheduled event start time. While you CAN respond in this group, I'd ask that you don't.

SELEM General: Again, I don't really want there to be too much chatter here, but it's an open group anyone can chat to. This can be used for general questions comments related to the event. Stuff like "come see an ion firing up" or "let's go fly quads across the street". Please no advertising of wares or spamming. Collect your thoughts before hitting send, don't be that person that sends 3 one-line chats into the group over and over. At the end of the day, act like a jerk and I'll simply remove you from the room.

I HIGHLY recommend that people put their phones on vibrate so that group messages coming through aren't disruptive to others. And of course, this is completely optional. I'm simply trying to improve the experience.

So with that said, go ahead and download GroupMe and go through their quick reg process. PM me your info and I'll add you to both groups. You can opt out yourself at any time, or simply choose not to participate. Any questions, comments, concerns? Let's hear 'em!

So it's like Slack?

We evaluated Slack, but this is better for our needs.

Quote Originally Posted by telmnstr View Post
    So it's like Slack?
    Very much so, but Slack exposes phone numbers IIRC.

Giving this a bump. Signing up today.
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

11 members signed up so far. Keep 'em coming!

I'm on!

+15 char
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"