Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Modulation issues with RGB Analog projector

Learning comes with risks, I happily accept that! I might wait until I get the ILDA breakout box from the UK to test the voltages as that seems the easiest option Im going to spend a few days looking through fzeroinestore's 40,000+ items to see if theres anything else I should buy too!

Money I have, knowledge.. not so much, I could simply just buy a kvant 800 / clubmax1500 and be done with it, but I'd rather learn the ins and outs first. My eventual goal is to do some shows at local private events, but I have a TON to learn first, and to get adequade hardware (Pangolin Safetyscan lens at the least with BAM working the way it should). The day I spend anywhere near close to what I've invested in home theatre gear, then I'll know I have a problem
    Last edited by ReaperZ; 08-24-2016 at 18:28.

@" Im going to spend a few days looking through fzeroinestore's 40,000+ items to see if theres anything else I should buy too!"

Jeez man there's no need to do penance!
    You would be much better off spending the time reading posts on this forum and perhaps reading ALL of Stanwax site!

While your at it watch a few of "Planter's videos....do a search of his threads for links ! +

@ "The day I spend anywhere near close to what I've invested in home theatre gear, then I'll know I have a problem "
    That shouldn't take more than a few months at the most!

Cheers

Okay so regarding the D-Sub DB25 breakout box, i want 1x Female with screw ? Or do I need a Male with screw as well .. that way I won't need to cut the end off my ILDA cable and try to figure out the ribbon inside, right? and just wire two breakout boxes together that really seems the easiest way to go about it.

@That shouldn't take more than a few months at the most!
    I don't have a spare $20,000 to throw at projectors in the next few months not that im aware of anyway!

Female with screw ....male with nuts. (look on the back of your projector or the output of the FB3!), which is where you are going to attach it to.

Unless of course your gay ...

Cheers
    PS Multicoloured bits of wire and a screwdriver will also come in handy, (ask for a short sample bit of multi-core cable from your local electronics store so you can make up your mind as to how many hundreds of metres you MIGHT buy later on. !
    Last edited by catalanjo; 08-25-2016 at 01:04.

Got it and regarding wiring .. ive got a dead powersupply from a PC i can salvage those from!

I'm excited about this now!

I doubt you need to invest in a DB25 breakout board to analyze this problem, but if you plan on building or doing a significant re-build of a projector, a breakout board from someone like Stanwax is a good way to start. Over time, you might just start wiring your own for a smaller footprint. I currently use these:

https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...509-ND/1001823

https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...5MEA-ND/955353

Regarding wiring, the wire from a powersupply will be a lower gauge than you need (meaning thicker). Its not a problem, but for signal wiring, stranded 24-28AWG is all you need. I fully agree with Cat that having several different colors on hand is . . handy! I buy 100 foot rolls in 6 or so colors so that I can keep track of DC power versus signal wiring and such.
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

cat:
    David, what I suggested are breakout ADAPTORS since soldering is not on the cards ....check eBay link a few posts back...they cost about 4$ each (male & female) and they have screw terminals on the back so he can use a voltmeter to see all the signals in the ilda cable (as long as they are steady, which he can arrange with QS).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25pinDtypeAdaptorV3.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	50679

They enable you to pick and choose which signal you want without leaving bare wires and don't even need a box. You might want to have a look at them yourself, since they are incredibly useful when mucking about with projectors and dacs.

Rob's breakout board is a whole different kettle of fish and much more suitable for installing in a projector but not so great for the kitchen table and you need a bit more than a screwdriver to be able to use it.

<10$ for a safe look at ilda signals and a quick diagnostic sounds like a good deal to me.

Cheers
    PS. Reaper....U need LOTS of colours not a few (best 25 different ones but only about 20cms long) so just get a short section of thin multicore and strip of the covering.!
    Last edited by catalanjo; 08-25-2016 at 05:17. Reason: uploading pic mess finally sorted !

Ah, OK, thanks Cat!

Shouldn't soldering be like driving a manual shift car - something every guy should learn by age 25?

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

@cat
    Okay I'll get 25 different colors, hopefully I'm definitely liking the idea of ILDA troubleshooting, this is taking me back to electronics class in school when I was 14

@david
    Manual or nothing!!!! maybe I'll invest some time into learning how to solder over my Xmas break at the end of the year, how hard can it be (famous last words)

@ "driving a manual shift car" ....difficult to imagine David that your from the US of A with statements like that ...LOL!

as for soldering ...my experience is that women manage it much better than most men!

and yeah Reaper ( I take it that "electronics class" wasn't very hands on), you really NEED to learn how to solder ....but get a decent "temp controlled" soldering iron ...makes everything a lot easier, and in the long run saves you a fortune in wasted solder and burnt tips, it should only take 30mins or so to learn

Cheers