Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Modulation issues with RGB Analog projector

without investing in a soldering station, I might pick up something like this.. is it sufficient?
    http://www.jaycar.co.nz/30w-240v-tem...-iron/p/TS1540

Or should I spend a little more and get this
    http://www.jaycar.co.nz/40w-temperat...ation/p/TS1620

While I wait for my ilda breakout I had a query regarding measuring the voltages, do I measure the voltage between the + and - of the signal (green for example), or do I measure between + and an earth?

Sorry for the simple question!

I'm waiting for the breakout setup to arrive so I can post a detailed post with voltages with varying outputs set in QS instead of feeding drips and drabs to you guys :-) Im hoping it shouldn't be much longer than another week!

Better to spend a bit more and get the second option, if you can, but make sure you can get replacement tips and check what types of tip (at what price) are available.

If you are measuring output from a QS it shouldn't make any difference using the colour - or ground but best measure everything you can if you want to learn about balanced lines etc. You may be a little surprised to discover what the "real" rather than the theoretical outputs actually are.

Since you don't know what the receiving circuitry is like it might be handy to measure a bit of that even before the breakout adaptor arrives.

Check impedance/resitence of interlock circuit etc. and build up a mental picture of what's going on inside the projector.
    To start off, try to identify which card is what and make a block diagram.......If you have trouble with that just post pics here and members will help.

Cheers
    PS remember to buy some multiflux solder wire as well as the iron, you can learn how to solder by "tinning" the ends of the short bits of multicore/multicoloured wires ready for when the breakouts arrive.(This makes them much easier to use with the screw connectors.
    Some good (small) cable snippers and some "heat shink" the right size for these wires would be good as well.

So the ILDA breakout adaptors have arrived, and for wiring I have a spare computer PSU i'll mangle for the sake of science

I'm on call for work this week, so i'll spend the weekend disassembling the laser as much as I feel comfortable doing to try and get an idea of what goes where.. needless to say I'm excited and a bit nervous about remembering where things go especially as the clearances for things are so tight in there.

Onwards and upwards!

Thanks for the advice so far :-)

The payoff will be high when you get there. Just check and recheck before power-up and send a prayer to your favorite deity for the magic smoke to not be released.

Cheers!

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Jeez that was quick postage from China !

@"remembering where things go" = take lots & lots of pics you can always delete them later on!.

Best of luck
    Cheers
    PS. Do NOT trust the chinese wire colouring ....sometimes red is negative and black is positive, so measure, don't assume !

Definitely a good comment regarding the wiring !

I've got these two links for my wiring ILDA knowledgebase, they seem useful!! It probably seems a bit n00bish of me, but I'm putting them here in case they help someone else in future, I found them trawling the forum.

Visual pinout
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41676d1368124161-how-measure-output-laser-projector-ildaserial-rgbpinout.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	50783

More in depth information regarding each wire
    http://pangolin.com/LD2000/qm2000pinouts.htm

I've decided I'm going to do my color coding just like how its shown in the ILDA pinout picture .. will make referencing whats going on a bit easier I think

I'm proud of you for doing this. I really thought you'd chicken out. Once you have the data we can surely walk you the rest of the way. Graph out signal in and laser out as best you can so we can see how the drivers and lasers are responding. It would be very helpful if you can monitor the current from each driver and and graph the input voltage vs current from each driver. This will tell us if the drivers are acting linearly and if the laser output makes sense. Put a 1 ohm resistor in line with each laser and measure the voltage across the resistor. That will tell you the current from ohms law Voltage =Resistance*Current so the measured voltage divided by 1=current. Measure the voltage and current from the power supply as well to the driver as you do the test. This will tell us if the power supply is giving enough voltage and current to run the drivers.

Tasks:

Measure voltage input to projector while measuring current one each driver you are driving. Graph input voltage on the x axis and driver current on the y axis. You want to graph 0-5V input.
    Measure the output of the dac you are using to make sure it is also linear and outputting the 0-5v.

If the graph looks good and you see your lasers acting as you expect, the problem will be the dac and not the projector. If it is the projector you need to figure out why. If your green is acting poorly and it is dpss, well then the laser sucks and needs replaced.

That's enough get this far and come back.

Since your in new zealand maybe its a good idea to contact Daction. He is a good friend of mine and is happy to help you i,m sure.

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!