Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Caribb-LEM Mark III, March 1st-11th of 2017 (or March 4th-11th if you want 7 days)

What do you guys think of this device?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/d...uetooth-sports

I've been burned on other Indiegogo campaigns before, but for $89, seems like a cool device for photographs (built-in color correction) and dive computer. Add another $80 for a dive case for the phone. Pretty good deal, I think.

What would be the killer app would be air-integration.

It looks cool as hell! I really like the auto-color-correction feature based on depth information. And having another computer is always a plus.

However, I would want a very rugged case for my phone before I'd be willing to risk taking it on a dive. I haven't been able to find one for the Galaxy S8 that is rated for SCUBA diving. (Plenty for I-phones, though, and also for some of the older Galaxy phones.) So for me it's probably a no-go, even though the price is certainly right.

Air integration is always going to be hard because it's difficult to do any sort of wireless communication when you're under water. (RF and water don't work together at all unless you're talking about *really* long wavelengths!) I think most of the AI units run at around 5-6 Khz, so a receiver for that band would need to be built-in to the Diveroid puck, and that's going to be a big coil of wire...

Adam

Welcome back, Adam!

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    owever, I would want a very rugged case for my phone before I'd be willing to risk taking it on a dive.
    Yes, exactly. Which is why I keep all my old mobile phones. I have an iPhone 6s as my current device, but I also have my old iPhone 5, which is what I would use for this purpose.. so in case of failure, damage, theft, or loss, it's not my current phone.

I'm currently looking for a good 60ft+ waterproof case for the iPhone 5 that works with this device. Then I just might go for it for $90.

I also like having a backup dive computer, since if you remember from Utila, my dive computer had two sensor failures thinking I surfaced without a safety stop, and it shut me out for 48 hours each time even though I did nothing wrong. If I get this Diveroid device, I'd use that as my primary DC, and the console DC as a backup.

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post
    Welcome back, Adam!
    Thanks! "Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated", and all that...

I keep all my old mobile phones.
    Good point. I do have an old Galaxy S5 I could use, but alas, I can't find a diving case for that model either.

I also like having a backup dive computer, since if you remember from Utila, my dive computer had two sensor failures
    I remember! Did you ever figure out what was wrong? Would suck if that happened again...

Adam

I remember! Did you ever figure out what was wrong? Would suck if that happened again...
    Nah.. you know how it is.. I got back from Utila, had all my SCUBA gear packed up in the suitcase.. never opened it up and put it in the closet.

I never pulled out the DC to contact Suunto to see if there is a fault. It's out of warranty, so I'm not sure they'd have any response other than "we'll sell you a new one".

But I'm planning another trip to Sandals with the wifey before the end of the year, so I'll get it looked at well before then.

Thread bump!!

For everyone who went diving on Utila and didn't get their log filled out, here is all the information I have for the 20 dives I went on.
    Day 1 (March 2) 2 boat dives. Jack Neil Beach - enter 8:57AM, 45 min, 67 ft max depth. Black Coral Wall - enter 10:44 AM, 54 min, 72 ft max depth.
    Day 2 (March 3) 2 boat dives. Big Rock West - enter 8:54 AM, 35 min, 61 ft max depth. Little Bight - enter 10:37 AM, 47 min, 63 ft max depth.
    Day 3 (March 4) 2 boat dives. Spotted Bay - enter 9:05 AM, 43 min, 65 ft max depth. Diamond Cay - enter 10:49 AM, 46 min, 69 ft max depth.
    Day 4 (March 5) 2 boat dives. Ted's Point - enter 9:36 AM, 44 min, 63 ft max depth. Airport Caves - enter 11:21 AM, 51 min, 60 ft max depth.
    In preparation of a diving trip to Bonaire in December, and the next Carrib-lem, I'm consolidating all my logs in one place.

For some unknown reason, my dive computer didn't log the above dives. It got everything March 6th to the end (including the 48 hours it locked me out due to sensor errors).

Also, I know a few of us did the Advanced OW dives at the beginning, which wouldn't match up to Buffo's list above.

Does anyone have the detail from our AOW dives (days/length/depth) and if you had a dive computer log the above dives, would anyone be willing to send export them so I can import them into Subsurface? It can handle almost any export format.

If not, it's not the end of the world, but thanks!

-Hank

I maintain an average dive depth of around 250,000 feet at 14.7 psi. Take me to your leader👽

Thread bump!!

In preparation of a diving trip to Bonaire in December
    Have you been previously? Make sure you visit Beach Hut Bar & Grill. Houston has non-stop service to Bonaire, it's very tempting.

Thread bump!!

In preparation of a diving trip to Bonaire in December, and the next Carrib-lem, I'm consolidating all my logs in one place.

For some unknown reason, my dive computer didn't log the above dives. It got everything March 6th to the end (including the 48 hours it locked me out due to sensor errors).

Also, I know a few of us did the Advanced OW dives at the beginning, which wouldn't match up to Buffo's list above.

Does anyone have the detail from our AOW dives (days/length/depth) and if you had a dive computer log the above dives, would anyone be willing to send export them so I can import them into Subsurface? It can handle almost any export format.

If not, it's not the end of the world, but thanks!

-Hank
    Must be a Suunto with the whole lock out thing?

I thought we all went together? I have all the logs from my Shearwater, I can dump out mine from those days. (I should install Subsurface as well, if I didn't already on my Linux desktop.)

One slight gripe IIRC the shearwater cloud things doesn't auto sync desktop and phone data. My dive logs are still mostly in a google spreadsheet. Hmmmm
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Well, looks like I never added the CarribLEM dives to that spreadsheet :-) Guess my data is a mess.

I will dump the data this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by hitekvoop View Post
    Have you been previously? Make sure you visit Beach Hut Bar & Grill. Houston has non-stop service to Bonaire, it's very tempting.
    Thanks, we will! We got non-stop flights from NYC.

We have not been there yet. It's a week's worth of diving -- 11 dives total. I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm going with a local dive shop trip: https://oceanbluedivers.com/travel/d...o-bonaire-2018

Staying at the Buddy Dive Resort.

-Hank